Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • STxWrangler
    • Jul 2010

Front end receiver hitch?

I would like to know if a front end receiver hitch can be installed with the AEV Premium front end bumper. I want to put a fishing rod rack on the front and need a bumper with a winch to pull me out in the event that I get stuck in soft sand. Any comments?
  • sickchilly
    • May 2010

It would reduce your approach angle, but I'd guess it would be fairly easy to install a standard tow bar to the front frame rails that hangs directly below the bumper. May require removing the stock "bash bar" though.

Comment

• STxWrangler
      • Jul 2010

I wonder if it would be difficult to cut a hole in the front skidplate to accommodate the hitch receiver.

Comment

• JKMax
        • Dec 2009

This is just a guess, but you might be able to find a tow hitch mounted to a cross bar that fits the standard mounting points available on the front end tow points. Like with the Blue Ox and Roadmaster tow bars to pull the Jeep, there may be some companies with a tow hitch that needs to bolt in at the same width.
        2009 JK Rubi (4DR, Det. Yellow)
        AEV: 3.5" SC, Fr/Rr Bumpers w/ all works, Corner Guards, Rr Diff Slider, Hood, Snorkel, Pre-Filter, Savegres

Comment

• AEV Dave
          Administrator
          • Sep 2007

Since you're not looking at major loads here...maybe some surf rods and a cooler I would imagine and maybe moving the occasional boat around - I would think that you could do a simple bolt on consisting of an angled pc of 3/16 steel that sandwiches between the fairlead and bumper and then also picks up the bottom two center fasteners on the skidplate. For more weight/abuse, you could probably weld a receiver tube to the bottom of the winch mount and cut a hole through the skid. Major problem with that option is the corrosion issue.

dh
          2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
          2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
          2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
          2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

• STxWrangler
            • Jul 2010

Thanks Dave.

I spoke with a local Truck/Jeep accessory installer. He said that I could mount a Curt front end hitch receiver on the stock plastic bumper...he thinks they even include a template to cut through the plastic skid plate to allow the receiver to go through. If this is true....I bet I could use the template to cut through the AEV steel skid plate. I will get the front end hitch receiver installed and experiment from there.

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Working...