• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lo2aY
    • Apr 2009

Picking up my J8

to the AEV crew,

i'm picking up my J8 in a few months..

was wondering if the bumpers would fit on it given that the frame and body are a little different!

I can see the front going in without a problem! but the rear bumper with leaf spring mounts and cross member?

any lift solutions for added ground clearance?

Thanks!

Luai
  • overlander
    • Jan 2012

the mysterious j8

I have been stalking...not in the usual casual way, but more in the creepy, late-at-night way the J8's and info about them. I've sent half a' dozen emails to AEV for more information about having one built, and they have never responded, then I read that Dave says that Chrysler has canceled the deal, but then I see that you say you're getting one in couple months (which leads me to believe that they are being built as AEV claims 6mos build time). So I decided to come out of the dark and join the forum.

Are you really getting one, and do you have any idea why it has been so hard to get AEV to respond????

Comment

• forsakenfuture
      • Nov 2007

AEV has cancelled their program. This gentlemen has stated in another thread that his is coming from some where else.....most likely another country.
      "Don't wish for it,work for it."
      2014 Ram Power Wagon

Comment

• overlander
        • Jan 2012

thanks for the reply. The "I want a diesel wrangler" crowd could possibly be the most patient group of people ever.

Comment

• MoparNorm
          • Aug 2010

Sergio Marchionne said at the NAIAS, (Detroit Auto Show) that the Wrangler could get a diesel in the US "soon".
          Most likely that means after the 2014/2015 refresh, those of us who have heard these rumors, since 1999, will not be holding our breaths.
          Crate Hemi's get more attractive every day.
          Crew Chief Ultra 4 4500 Class
          4540 Motorsports

Comment

• MoparNorm
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by overlander
            Are you really getting one, and do you have any idea why it has been so hard to get AEV to respond????
            AEV has not responded because they were in turn, kept in the dark by Chrysler.
            In Chrysler's defense, they are a little busy these days, trying to jump start a company. The Wrangler assembly plant was designed for 150,000 units per year, so far this year has seen over 165,000 Wranglers roll out the door.
            Wrangler (and J8) construction is severely impacted by the antiquated and Supplier operated facility, parts shortages and maybe just a little inattentiveness on the part of the Jeep CEO, who is also in charge of International Sales, for the entire Chrysler/Fiat operation.
            Plus,... he is not a Jeeper and he was caught off guard by the demand for Wranglers and he is very busy turning all of the other Jeep products into neutered CUV's.
            4540 Motorsports

Comment

• theglide
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by MoparNorm
              ... The Wrangler assembly plant was designed for 150,000 units per year, so far this year has seen over 165,000 Wranglers roll out the door.
              huh? did you mean last year they pushed out 165,000 Wranglers in plant that was designed for only 150,000 units per year? ... we're not even to the end of January for this year

I don't get why Fiat is not ready to deal with success ... the Jeep brand and the Wrangler in particular is one of the greatest assets Fiat acquired in the deal ... increased production and sales of these Wranglers should be their primary focus

Comment

• Jdemonto
                • Nov 2007

They are working on it, they need to expand the plant clearly. I think that's whats happening next.

In case you hadn't noticed, sales of the Jeep Wrangler are on the rise. For those whose brains work best with hard data, Jeep sold 122,460 Wranglers in the United States in 2011, repre
                Jason De Monto
                Trail Concepts
                480-788-7245
                2015 Jeep Rubicon
                Baja Yellow
                Dual Sport 106

Comment

• MoparNorm
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by theglide
                  huh? did you mean last year they pushed out 165,000 Wranglers in plant that was designed for only 150,000 units per year? ... we're not even to the end of January for this year
                  Sorry, I still write 2011 until about Feb...
                  Calendar year 2011 saw 165,000 +/- Wranglers built. That's about 13,700 per month, however some months saw 24,000 in dealer orders, so the crunch is on.
                  It's not a simple task to enlarge the facility. Permiting can take years, the plant is supplied and operated by Suppliers, (hence the term, Toledo Supplier Park) so getting a sign off from each supplier to return the plant to Jeep takes time and much negotiation. That being said, the Fiat managers and the Brit CEO of Jeep, may have seriously misjudged Wrangler's appeal to Americans.
                  While they focused on turning the rest of the Jeep lineup into cars, the one vehicle that sustained not only Jeep, but all of Chrysler itself, was seriously neglected.
                  4540 Motorsports

Comment

• MarkLC
                    • Oct 2010

Just think of all the problems they would cause themselves if they made a Jeep pick-up and put diesels in Wranglers ...
                    1986 CJ7 TDI
                    2008 JK AEV Rubicon - 5.7L
                    2012 JKU Rubicon

Comment

• theglide
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by MoparNorm
                      Sorry, I still write 2011 until about Feb...

While they focused on turning the rest of the Jeep lineup into cars, the one vehicle that sustained not only Jeep, but all of Chrysler itself, was seriously neglected.
                      yeah I've had to change a lot of 11's to 12's in the last 3 weeks

still don't get it ... they've said (if I'm not mistaken) that they wanted to sell MORE of the iconic Jeep Wrangler internationally ... yes it takes time and effort to expand the plant, that's precisely why it should be a priority with them

Originally posted by MarkLC
                      Just think of all the problems they would cause themselves if they made a Jeep pick-up and put diesels in Wranglers ...
                      diesels Wranglers are sold overseas and with the American and European emission standards converging there's hope for a domestic version

as for as a Jeep pickup, seems like they could make this at another plant ... I'll probably get "blacklisted" for this but if you took the Dodge Ram half-ton truck, fit a solid front axle under it and put a 7-slot grill on the front end you make these "Jeep" trucks at the Dodge Ram plant and sell them like "hotcakes" for a premium

Comment

• Lo2aY
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by overlander
                        I have been stalking...not in the usual casual way, but more in the creepy, late-at-night way the J8's and info about them. I've sent half a' dozen emails to AEV for more information about having one built, and they have never responded, then I read that Dave says that Chrysler has canceled the deal, but then I see that you say you're getting one in couple months (which leads me to believe that they are being built as AEV claims 6mos build time). So I decided to come out of the dark and join the forum.

sorry I did not see your response to my thread. I did get mine from overseas. and it will more than likely stay there. I do plan to bring it here to the US for a short period of time but that's not in the near future. I think what AEV would offer if they had those roll out of their facilities would be much nicer then what I'm getting "That's an assumption" my J8 is not legal in the US because it lacks US spec compliance.

I personally think that this would be a better program to AEV (if they can get the ball rolling on it again) than the Brute Double cab or even keep both.

I have personally drove a couple J8s and recently drove a RHD one, I can tell you that this vehicle is no Joke. no insulation. really loud. it's not something you would want to drive everyday unless your willing to give away some creature comforts. most of the units I drove did not have a radio. no AC. so really I think if AEV offered this vehicle it would be much better than whats available to governments. The J8 sits 2"s taller than the JK. it pulls strong compared to the 3.8 V6. That's all I can say about it from what I drove. I really like the 3dr but unfortunately, it's not offered with a hardtop. I got the 4 door with a hardtop. also got AEV front and rear bumpers for it. picking up the corners next and shipping them all out.

I will start a build thread for my J8 once I have it in hand.

Comment

• Will Cabell
                          • May 2009

If you swap out the front axle in that thing give me first dibs bro

Comment

• Grecy
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lo2aY
                            I did get mine from overseas.
                            Do you mind telling us in what country you got it and how it was possible?
                            i.e. do you work for the govt. / military? or can anyone on the street buy one in this country.

I'm a citizen of the world anyway, and plan to take my next vehicle around the world. If I can't buy what I want in North America, I'll buy & register it elsewhere.

-Dan
                            Africa circumnavigation in a Jeep Wrangler @ The Road Chose Me (previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
                            --
                            Follow: Facebook / YouTube
                            --
                            WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

Comment

• Lo2aY
                              • Apr 2009

Hi guys,

I picked up my 3 door J8. I need a softop. Anyone know where I could possibly get a top for it. The top is not the same between the 3 door J8 and (4 door JK / 5 door J8)

Comment

Working...