Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • epiccosmo
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by AEV Dave
    Interestingly, I just drove a four door/2.5" kit yesterday with the Duratrac (285-70R17)...As much as I want to like that tire, it didn't ride nearly as nice as the two door I drove the day before with the BFG KM2 (35"), they were actually louder and rode stiffer. I just can't recommend it, I would go BFG AT if I were in that market.

dh
    Dave I am looking at tires and DuraTracs and AT's are top on my list with the potential for the 33.3x10 KM2's. What puts the BFG AT's on the top of your list? Price wise it seems the BFG AT's are also cheaper than the DuraTracs.

Not meaning to hi-jack the thread just wanting some clarity to chose a good tire to go with the 2.5 lift!

Thanks

Comment

• tomsprops
      • Feb 2011

Hey Dave, Any photo's of the 4dr 2.5 with 285/70/17 ? That's the size of KM2 I'm leaning towards for mine . Thanks

Comment

• Nate Biggs
        • Mar 2008

Any Pics of the 2.5 with 33"? I have the JK 2.0" SPACER SUSPENSION right now with 285/70/17 BFG AT's and I'm Not up grading my Tires to 35's will the warranty off when I will re-gear too. I want to go ahead and get a real suspension on the jeep and I really like the 2.5" and thank it will cover my needs. I want to see how much Difference that .5" makes.

thanks

Nate
        2007 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara in Jeep Green.
        AEV DualSport XT 3.5" Suspension, Expedition One Tire Carrier, AEV Premium Front Bumper

Former
        2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport in Bright White
        AEV DualSport XT 2.5" Suspension, AEV Heat Reduction Hood, AEV Tire Carrier, AEV Premium Front Bumper
        2007 Wrangler X in Light Gratstone
        1998 Wangler Sport in Flame Red

Comment

• AEV Dave
          Administrator
          • Sep 2007

I didn't grab any photos of that four door, should have I guess.

The BFG definitely seem to ride better. I was surprised how stiff the GY's felt with the same pressure. Keep in mind I only drove the car 20 miles and didn't bring a decibel meter, so this is pretty unscientific stuff here, but both myself and one of our techs who drove the car commented independently about the GYs. I suspect they are great in snow and ice covered roads, but the ATs are no slouch in those conditions, so personally I would go with the BFGs. BTW, we sell both BFG and GY so no bias in that regard.

dh
          2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
          2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
          2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
          2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

• blue project
            • Sep 2011

Sorry these are dirty, but that's winter in Montana...

[ATTACH]3211[/ATTACH]

Two Door with 2.5" kit on 35's

[ATTACH]3212[/ATTACH]

Two Door with 2.5" kit on 35's (AEV Bumper and Winch, no rear tire carrier (yet))

[ATTACH]3213[/ATTACH]

Four Door with 2.5" kit on 315's, AEV COD Bumper, no winch, AEV rear bumper and tire carrier.
            What size tires on the 2dr? Also did you need to trim the pinch seams?

Comment

• AEV Dave
              Administrator
              • Sep 2007

The 2 Door has 35" KM2s on it. The pinch weld was not trimmed. Some 35" tire and wheel combinations may require trimming of the pinch weld and rocker guard.

dh
              2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

• blue project
                • Sep 2011

The 2 Door has 35" KM2s on it. The pinch weld was not trimmed. Some 35" tire and wheel combinations may require trimming of the pinch weld and rocker guard.

dh
                Thanks Dave, helpful as always. I plan on the that setup, wheels, lift and hood as soon as my bank account stop laughing at me! Piece by piece I will get there.

Comment

• AEV Dave
                  Administrator
                  • Sep 2007

Gleesonkd:

You can relax, you're not going to go wrong with either kit. Both will ride and handle very well. The 3.5" kit works great with the steering kit and is truly impressive for how well it handles at that height, but the 2.5" is lower and doesn't need the roll center as high, its such a small net difference I'd probably call it a wash, though we haven't compared the two in a high-speed slalom to give you quantitative data. I'd say at limit handling the 3.5" kit probably is a bit better, but that's kind of like saying a Porsche isn't fast compared to a Gallardo...Its a small difference and they are both faster than you can really use.

Questions to ask yourself:
                  • How tall is your wife, is she going to complain about the height?
                  • Do you have little kids? If so the lower height will make buckling them into car seats easier.
                  • Do you have people riding in the back a lot? If so the lower height is easier to deal with.
                  • Do you ever see the need for remote reservoirs..ie high speed long bumpy drives like in baja? The 3.5 is available with the RR shocks, the 2.5" kit isn't.
                  • Do you see yourself upgrading to larger tires like 37's in the future?
                  • Do you need more breakover angle where you plan to wheel (if this is a four door)
                  2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

• gleesonkd
                    • Jan 2012

Thanks Dave.

Hmmm is still coming to my mind. Lol. 3.5 it is. No kids just dogs. Wife she can climb up. Lol and no to bigger tires. The only thing I will need to add is a step stool to load kayaks on the roof.

Comment

• CRDSTU
                      • Dec 2010

Dave, given the height of the 2.5" kit, have you guys tested the hi steer kit on it before? Is it possible to fit if the correct bump stops are in check?

R
                      Stu
                      Murchison Products - Australian AEV Dealer
                      "Custom Comfortable and Capable"
                      www.murchisonproducts.com.au
                      [email protected]
                      12 AEV JKU, Dozer
                      05 AEV Brute, Brilliant Black
                      01 TJ Brute Alloy Trayback, Silver
                      13 WK2 CRD Laredo, Brilliant Black

Comment

• AEV Dave
                        Administrator
                        • Sep 2007

I got a pic of the four door with 285-70R17 Goodyear Duratrac's. This Jeep is also a 5.7 with all the other AEV stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	171771

Stu - The angles aren't severe enough to require or even benefit from the Hi Steer kit. If you did try to install it, the draglink would crash into the frame with only about an 2" of up-travel, so it would severely limit the up-travel and ride quality.

dh
                        2013 KTM 450XC-W

Comment

• Panhead5
                          • Sep 2011

That has quite a similar look to mine although I installed the AEV budget boost one night a couple of months ago (while waiting for the 2.5 kit) and haven't taken it off.I have the same size Duratracs .All along I thought I was the only one that remotely liked 33's .

Truthfully ,for my DD in a flat part of the country I can't complain .I didn't have to regear , change the spare carrier ,and everyone involved can get in and out of it.

I'm by no means done with my JK but that setup has a good balance for the time being.

Comment

• forsakenfuture
                            • Nov 2007

I got a pic of the four door with 285-70R17 Goodyear Duratrac's. This Jeep is also a 5.7 with all the other AEV stuff.

[ATTACH]3239[/ATTACH]

Stu - The angles aren't severe enough to require or even benefit from the Hi Steer kit. If you did try to install it, the draglink would crash into the frame with only about an 2" of up-travel, so it would severely limit the up-travel and ride quality.

dh

This photo is perfect for someone that owns a green four door.
                            "Don't wish for it,work for it."
                            2014 Ram Power Wagon

Comment

• simba
                              • Mar 2011

Vehicle height with 2.5"lift

Hello Dave,

Is it possible for a height measurement of the white jeep that has the 2.5" lift and 35" tires.

You see my concern is entry into my garage and that was a factor for not getting the 3.5" lift.

My garage when open is 80"-6.6 ft.
                              My Jeep with the snorkel sits at 73" Antenna sits at 76" I would say 3-4" for a safe zone. My Antenna will get crushed. A solution can be found for this.

How tall would the rear of my jeep increase with this lift and 35" KM2"s?
                              I would really appreciate your assistance or anybody that has this set up.

Comment

• gleesonkd
                                • Jan 2012

Simba go with the 3.5 and 35's. It will fit. 76.75 inches is what my buddies jeep is.

I also have 80 inches of clearance and I'm going 3.5 and BFG AT 35's. You will be fine.

Comment

Working...