Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 10-23-2015, 12:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to THespos Send a message via AIM to THespos
Default Advice on spare tire solution?

Does AEV have plans to build a chase rack or some sort of tire carrier? Shame to waste all that bed space...

I'm interested in what others are doing in this regard. Anybody?
Unread 10-23-2015, 01:10 PM

I would wait until SEMA is over to see what AEV displays!
Ward
Unread 10-25-2015, 07:32 AM

black ratchet strap w/ bike lock. Usable bed. Tire doesn't move. Long term probably not great on the bed, but nothing but a bit of a bend in the lip so far after thousands of miles and hard off road driving. Visibility is not 100%, would be better to mount it directly behind, but 37" tire just doesn't quite fit.

Don't trust your OEM spare on the front right wheel - the new larger draglink will shave off all your wheel weights. Ask me how I know. Those of you using OEM spare, if you get flat on FR tire, switch the spare to the left side (I wouldn't run it in the rear, diameter difference not good on the driveline parts...).

If your not going to carry a camper in the back, and want your visibility at times, but bed space in others, I'm heading towards the HUMVEE pickup racks. 37" tire mount, flips up and flips down with pins. Waiting on SEMA to see what AEV comes up with. Having the tire mounted as I do above isn't that big of a deal. I did hit a tree while backing up denting my bumper pretty good, f...most probalby would be fine.

I've thought about hitch gate for four wheel camper, but it's not quite rated for towing a larger camper. Also not sure on their durability long term.

Ratchet strap is loose enough that the tire just kind of hangs out...imagine the welds on the bed are seeing more stress, but so far so good. Long term I'm thinking flat bed, then it all gets easier!
2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Last edited by Wapitihunter; 10-25-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Unread 10-25-2015, 08:07 AM

I have a hitch gate I will use assuming I will be towing only a small off road trailer or not towing. I have also thought about adding the Yakima load hauler to the topper and put the spare up there along with hi lift jack, shovel, etc as Yakima makes attachments for all including the tire and the topper has a reinforced roof and I could runs 3rd cross bar. If I had a flat the spare would be a bitch to get off but that would be infrequent at best. I carry a thule tire step that would help. With no topper you could run the Thule bed racks and the basket and keep all below cab height with ability to adjust
Attached Images

Unread 08-02-2016, 01:39 PM

Default Deflated spare???

i know the 37 won't fit between the frame rails in the stock spare location, but what if it was deflated most of the way, perhaps with a ratchet strap around it? Anyone tried this? I suppose most of us carry air compressors onboard...
Unread 08-02-2016, 06:22 PM

I use my truck for hauling too often to have a spare tire in the bed, so I had AEV leave the stock spare under the bed. I just got the truck last week, so haven't had a chance to really try out new options, but on day one the 37" tire came out of the bed. On day two I used the truck to haul a load of trash to the dump. On day three I used the truck to haul a whole pallet of cement landscaping blocks home from Home Depot. On day four I hauled an ATV to my riding area. On day five the truck was parked in the garage, and on day six I hauled another pallet of cement landscaping blocks. And so it goes ... , which leads me to think I'll need another option other than a bed mounted spare tire. Four out of six days I have owned the truck have required me to use the truck bed for hauling. Right now I'm planning on using the stock spare, and putting it on the left front no matter which tire goes flat. Then I can put the tire from the left front on in place of whichever tire went flat. That makes for twice the work whenever I get a flat, but hopefully that won't be too often.

I'm open to using a headache rack, or other form of tire storage that leaves the bed space open enough to haul an ATV or UTV in the back of the truck.

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 08-02-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Unread 08-02-2016, 07:02 PM

I kinda like the deflated spare tire idea. I wonder if that would work. I don't think it would mainly because those tires are so stiff. I, too can't sacrifice bed space for a spare. And something hanging in front of the tailgate would be a pain too. I guess I'll just have to stick with my patch kit and air compressor for the time being.
Unread 08-03-2016, 08:14 AM

Putting your tire on your roof rack is a bad idea. See number 7.
http://expeditionportal.com/the-10-c...rland-vehicle/

I have my 37" spare mounted in the bed like WapitiHunter. When mounted this way you don't lose much bed space. I also use a ratchet strap but not in the same way as WapitiHunter. I run the ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire and attach both ends to the driver's side of the truck bed. The long part of the strap attaches to the D-ring towards the floor of the bed and the shorter part of the strap with the ratcheting mechanism attaches to the oval hole in the side of the bed towards the top. I have tried many different ways to mount the tire and this is the easiest, cheapest, cleanest, and fastest way to mount your spare. It holds the tire very securely which is important when you are off-roading because you don't want the tire shifting or bouncing out of your truck. It is also easy to get at when you need it. It takes all of 20 seconds to pull the tire out of the bed and the same to mount it back. You can also use the void created by the wheel rim to store recovery equipment or other items.
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech
Unread 08-03-2016, 07:38 PM

My spare setup with the deck'd drawers and ARE camper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	19521  
Unread 08-03-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF2200 View Post
Putting your tire on your roof rack is a bad idea. See number 7.
http://expeditionportal.com/the-10-c...rland-vehicle/

I have my 37" spare mounted in the bed like WapitiHunter. When mounted this way you don't lose much bed space. I also use a ratchet strap but not in the same way as WapitiHunter. I run the ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire and attach both ends to the driver's side of the truck bed. The long part of the strap attaches to the D-ring towards the floor of the bed and the shorter part of the strap with the ratcheting mechanism attaches to the oval hole in the side of the bed towards the top. I have tried many different ways to mount the tire and this is the easiest, cheapest, cleanest, and fastest way to mount your spare. It holds the tire very securely which is important when you are off-roading because you don't want the tire shifting or bouncing out of your truck. It is also easy to get at when you need it. It takes all of 20 seconds to pull the tire out of the bed and the same to mount it back. You can also use the void created by the wheel rim to store recovery equipment or other items.
I'm going to try this. My setup takes longer to get on and off due to interwoven in the tire spokes. Surprized yours is so stable. I have bent my bed with my setup keeping the tire stable on dirt roads.

I swear i read in an ARB manual that they recommend full size spares on their lockers...but I must have been dreaming.

Visibility is an issue. Which i could get it all sideways behind the driver. Thought about experimenting with some wood to make a cradle there.

Plenty of bed space when the tire is in with my way or 2200's way. I take the spare out once a month or so for a trip to the dump or good will.
2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Last edited by Wapitihunter; 08-03-2016 at 08:39 PM.