Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve578
    • Oct 2009

Cruise Control - Hemi Conversion

My friend owns the AEV converted Hemi LJ in the link below. Recently the cruise control has stopped functioning. The shop working on it has reached out to AEV several times, but has not received a call back.

The Jeep is displaying the code P0585. The possible fixes for this code are replacing the clock spring and replacing the cruise control switches in the steering wheel which both have been done.

The original cruise control setup on a TJ is vacuum operated, but a Hemi is drive-by-wire so it is controlled through the PCM. The thought now is possibly something wrong in the PCM. Everything else seems to be working.

A scan tool doesn't show any response from the throttle position sensor, so technically the Jeep shouldn't even drive, but it does. We obviously don't know much about how the 4.0 to 5.7 Hemi conversion works. The PCM reads that it still is the 4.0 six cylinder engine with no reference to the Hemi.

Any ideas on possible fixes? Any idea on how to get AEV to return phone calls/voicemails?

Thanks for any help.
  • lucky73
    • Mar 2012

friend may want to call Todd at Jeep Speed Shop. I heard hemis in TJ often did not have working cruise control - rare find you have there

Comment

• YDJ
      • Jun 2008

Isn't AEV moving and closed for a few days? I think I read that somewhere here in the forum.
      2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
      2005 TJ HEMI Unlimited Rubicon
      2002 TJ Sport (Rebuilt)
      1982 CJ8 Scrambler (Sold)
      2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon (sold)

Comment

• TheRussell
        • Dec 2013

AEV posted last week saying they were moving locations and all normal correspondence (phone/email/regular mail/pony express service etc.) would be offline/unavailable until they got set up in their new digs. I believe the 25th is their target date to be up and operational at the new facility.

Comment

• Ben Hedrick
          • Feb 2009

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the Dakota/Burnsville swaps didn't get the CC working. I believe the AEV HEMI swaps if equipped with CC do work. Sounds like to me if it worked before then something else has gone wrong with the CC itself. Probably unrelated to the HEMI swap. Just my one cents worth.

Ben
          Ben Hedrick
          www.BenHedrick.com

HEDRICK Speedsports
          "We are a Small Garage with a Big Jeep Problem"
          2007 5.7L HEMI Sahara Unlimited - Sold
          2010 6.1L HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
          2011 6.4L (392) HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
          2002 4.0L AEV Brute - Sold
          2003 6.4L "Stroker" HEMI AEV Brute - Sold
          2005 4.0L SC AEV K9 Brute - Sold
          2014 345 HEMI Rubicon Xpo Adventurer - Sold
          2000 4.0L AEV 112 Long Wheelbase - Sold
          2006 4.0L AEV Brute Rubicon - Sold
          2005 570 AEV TJ Brute Wrangler

Comment

• steve578
            • Oct 2009

I will ask both of them to try reaching out to AEV again since AEV's moving post said they will be back up in operation as of yesterday morning. However, I believe they were contacted well before the move.

I have to admit that I'm just a 3rd party to this and haven't been involved up until now.

Comment

• steve578
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Ben Hedrick
              If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the Dakota/Burnsville swaps didn't get the CC working. I believe the AEV HEMI swaps if equipped with CC do work. Sounds like to me if it worked before then something else has gone wrong with the CC itself. Probably unrelated to the HEMI swap. Just my one cents worth.

Ben
              I am not sure how AEV makes the TJ CC work with the Hemi. With the 4.0, it is controlled by vacuum and a servo.

Since the Hemi is drive-by-wire, none of that is used. I believe it is all done electronically through the PCM unless there is some type of interface between the switches on the steering wheel and the PCM.

I am not a mechanic so all I have are theories. I'm hoping that AEV will reach out to the shop working on the Jeep or the owner.

Comment

• PeteEinMT
                • Nov 2013

I've always liked that LJ and hoped it would come back up for sale one day. Where is it located?

Pete

Comment

• steve578
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by PeteEinMT
                  I've always liked that LJ and hoped it would come back up for sale one day. Where is it located?

Pete
                  It's in the Houston, TX area. The current owner has upgraded the axles front and rear to Rockjock 60's.

Comment

• PeteEinMT
                    • Nov 2013

Nice upgrade. I also finally found a AEV Hemi LJ (The green Hiline Poster child one) Pro Rocks are in my future.

Pete

Comment

• ranger
                      • Mar 2013

I do not have any personal experience with an AEV Hemi swapped TJ, however I owned a 5.7L Hemi TJ that was converted by Jeep Speed Shop. There was a plug under the dash labelled "cruise control module", mine didn't have the module plugged in, but I was told by Todd at JSS that it could be purchased from Hotwire Auto and that the system would be functional. Maybe AEV used a similar module and it has malfunctioned? I'm not sure. I guess this is the downside to owning a niche vehicle, but I wish you and your friend luck in finding a solution.

Reaching out to HW is worth a shot until AEV gets back on line. Here's HW's POC:

Comment

• 2trackjeeper
                        • Dec 2014

AEV made their own cruise module. Since it has been years since they have done any TJ HEMI conversions I would assume they no longer service them. Hot wire auto sounds like a good option to me.

Comment

• steve578
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by ranger
                          I do not have any personal experience with an AEV Hemi swapped TJ, however I owned a 5.7L Hemi TJ that was converted by Jeep Speed Shop. There was a plug under the dash labelled "cruise control module", mine didn't have the module plugged in, but I was told by Todd at JSS that it could be purchased from Hotwire Auto and that the system would be functional. Maybe AEV used a similar module and it has malfunctioned? I'm not sure. I guess this is the downside to owning a niche vehicle, but I wish you and your friend luck in finding a solution.

Reaching out to HW is worth a shot until AEV gets back on line. Here's HW's POC:

http://www.hotwireauto.com/
                          Originally posted by 2trackjeeper
                          AEV made their own cruise module. Since it has been years since they have done any TJ HEMI conversions I would assume they no longer service them. Hot wire auto sounds like a good option to me.
                          Thanks to both of you. I forwarded the info to him if AEV hasn't already gotten back with him.

Comment

• Wehring
                            • Nov 2007

Houston hemi LJ

I am in the Houston area and have an AEV hemi LJ. Please give me a call.

Justin Wehring
                            979 997 3112

Comment

• steve578
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Wehring
                              I am in the Houston area and have an AEV hemi LJ. Please give me a call.

Justin Wehring
                              979 997 3112
                              I responded to you pm. Thanks!

Comment

Working...