Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 01-06-2017, 03:14 PM
jbtx1125's Avatar
jbtx1125 jbtx1125 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 46
Default Newbie w/ 2017 3500 AEV conversion in process, questions

Hi. I have been lurking here for a while. Lots of searching, reading, enjoying the AEV porn pictures, etc. I live in Austin TX, where I daily drive around the city, but I have a 1500 acre ranch in the TX hill country that I am at least once/month, much more at times (like hunting season I also tow a 26 ft enclosed trailer a few times per year, on long interstate road trips to car shows, races, etc.

I know what to do next time I buy a truck. I am going to call up AEV and have them custom build one from the start. If I could do it over, that's what I would do. But alas, this time, I learned of AEV too late, so I am doing the best I can.

I ordered my 2017 3500 so I could spec like I wanted. It has the high output cummins/aisin transmission and is pretty much loaded. No rear air, but just about every other option. It was not a cheap order.

Since taking possession, I put AEV front bumper including all light options. I mounted the AEV 17 Katla wheels and I had the rear bumper powdercoated in black to match the front bumper. I installed a 30 gallon aux tank in the spare tire spot, something I learned about from watching the AEV build on one of their chassis RAMs. AMP power steps. The list goes on, and is still in process.

After reading much debate here, the one area I deviated was suspension. I installed a full Carli suspension system (back country), which lifts/levels the truck similar heights as AEV, but adds fox shocks and add-a-packs to the rear (I wanted to maintain factory tow/payload capacity).

Here are my big question - lets talk tires!

I mounted 35-inch toyo at2 extremes on the truck. I am on the fence about whether to go up to 37-inch. With the 3.42 gears my truck came with, I would surely want to upgrade to 4.10 gears if I go to 37 inch tires. Seems like a slippery slope - are brake upgrades needed with that large and heavy of a tire? What have been your experiences? The truck is just already so high and big, I hate to add more height by installing 37s. Functionally, I certainly don't need them. I guess it would be for aesthetics and maybe a little softer ride. What are people running - 35s or 37s? regearing? Toyo or BFG? Load rating concerns? I am noticing that all these tires, including the ones AEV mounts directly (BFG KO2) don't have the "required" E/125 load ratings. Is this a concern for anyone?

Oh, and what license plate bracket to I need for the front of my truck if I am not installing winch?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4252.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	21077  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 01-06-2017, 05:04 PM
TTEngineer TTEngineer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 336
Default Newbie w/ 2017 3500 AEV conversion in process, questions

With the Carli kit, aev wheels, and 37x12.50s you'll get slight rubbing. It's due to the way Carli lifts the truck and the back space on the AEV wheels. If you add a quarter inch wheel spacer you'd be fine but you still may have to trim a tooth picks worth of plastic off the fenders/pinch weld.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2014 Ram 3500 Limited SRW 6'4" bed currently stock
2009 Dodge 1500 Sport on 35's - Totaled
1999 2Dr Tahoe on 38's - Sold
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 01-06-2017, 07:52 PM
MOPWR2U MOPWR2U is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 86
Default

35s vs 37s? 37s
BFGs vs Toyo? Toyo
Regearing? Yes

I also have the high output cummins / Aisin transmission in my 3500 Ram, and I've got 37" BFGs on my truck, and with 4.10 gearing I think it runs perfect. I do have concerns about the load carrying capacity of the tires when I turn my truck into the overland camper hauler I plan to use it for in a few years. I'll replace the BFGs with Toyo's at that time, but for now it works fine towing my enclosed trailer with the UTV inside.

__________________
2016 Ram 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD/Aisen/4.10 AEV Prospector

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 01-06-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 01-06-2017, 09:09 PM
jbtx1125's Avatar
jbtx1125 jbtx1125 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post
35s vs 37s? 37s
BFGs vs Toyo? Toyo
Regearing? Yes

I also have the high output cummins / Aisin transmission in my 3500 Ram, and I've got 37" BFGs on my truck, and with 4.10 gearing I think it runs perfect. I do have concerns about the load carrying capacity of the tires when I turn my truck into the overland camper hauler I plan to use it for in a few years. I'll replace the BFGs with Toyo's at that time, but for now it works fine towing my enclosed trailer with the UTV inside.

Thanks. I love your truck. And I've enjoyed reading several of your posts with pictures. This tire issue has just become a bit of a confusion point. The AEV RAM "brand promise" is to retain factory payload and towing abilities. Increase offlander capabilities but maintain street driving. Using a tire without minimum load rating requirements feels like a deviation from this. So much effort and engineering in everything, but the tire issue puzzles me
__________________
17 RAM 3500 CTD HO/Aisin CC SRW- AEV conversion
AEV front and rear bumpers
AEV wheels
AEV differential covers
AEV mudflaps
Vision X lights
Warn 16.5
AMP power steps
Titan aux fuel tank
TruckVault / CargoGlide
Nuthouse Industries custom bedrack
Carli Backcountry suspension
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 01-06-2017, 10:10 PM
zigsrig's Avatar
zigsrig zigsrig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 150
Default

Not to stir the pot, but being as Dave's (founder of AEV) personal truck uses KO2's to tow an 18k boat... I'd say you are good. I'll let the photo speak for its self...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2014 JKUR - AEV 3.5" - 37" KO2
2015 Ram Power Wagon - 37" KO2
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 01-07-2017, 09:46 AM
RF2200 RF2200 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northeast Iowa
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx1125 View Post
This tire issue has just become a bit of a confusion point. The AEV RAM "brand promise" is to retain factory payload and towing abilities. Increase offlander capabilities but maintain street driving. Using a tire without minimum load rating requirements feels like a deviation from this. So much effort and engineering in everything, but the tire issue puzzles me
I don't get the confusion. Load ratings on the 315/70R17 KO2 and 37/12.50R17 KO2 are different. I created a thread just to explain tires on here. Have you read it? http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=11961

Your truck is going to have a maximum Rear GAWR of 7,000 Lb. The 37X12.50R17LT BFG KO2 has a load rating of 3,545 Lb. 2x3,525 is greater than 7,000. AEV doesn't sell trucks with tires that don't exceed the GAWR for that truck.

If you are concerned about height and sway why did you add a taller, softer, suspension with less roll stiffness? If you wanted a softer ride why didn't you just spec your truck with the rear air assist and softer factory spring pack? If you just wanted a softer ride why did't you just buy a 2500? If you wanted upgraded dampers you could have ordered the off-road package and received upgraded stock units. If you wanted Fox shocks you could have added them without changing anything else. If you wanted 35" tires you can fit them without any lift.
__________________
Ram Laramie Power Wagon
AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 01-07-2017, 10:11 AM
RF2200 RF2200 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northeast Iowa
Posts: 277
Default

HD Truck with Carli 'Racing' suspension. Haha

__________________
Ram Laramie Power Wagon
AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech

Last edited by RF2200; 01-07-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 01-07-2017, 11:45 AM
jbtx1125's Avatar
jbtx1125 jbtx1125 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF2200 View Post
I don't get the confusion. Load ratings on the 315/70R17 KO2 and 37/12.50R17 KO2 are different. I created a thread just to explain tires on here. Have you read it? http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=11961

Your truck is going to have a maximum Rear GAWR of 7,000 Lb. The 37X12.50R17LT BFG KO2 has a load rating of 3,545 Lb. 2x3,525 is greater than 7,000. AEV doesn't sell trucks with tires that don't exceed the GAWR for that truck.

If you are concerned about height and sway why did you add a taller, softer, suspension with less roll stiffness? If you wanted a softer ride why didn't you just spec your truck with the rear air assist and softer factory spring pack? If you just wanted a softer ride why did't you just buy a 2500? If you wanted upgraded dampers you could have ordered the off-road package and received upgraded stock units. If you wanted Fox shocks you could have added them without changing anything else. If you wanted 35" tires you can fit them without any lift.
Lots of questions :-)
1- I have read and enjoyed your posts on tires, shackles, us vs China etc
2- not my first hd RAM. Traded in my 2500 for this truck
3- When I tow its fairly heavy and I wanted the Aisin based on my experience with the 2500 tranny. I didn't get rear air from factory because it's more about leveling than ride comfort.
4- Carli states all factory specs maintained unless you go to their full leafs in rear
5- the AEV bumper with winch etc adds a lot of weight in the front. Combined with the already heavy cummins front. Most of my research suggested that an upgrade in suspension was in order.

My trucks spend 70% time daily driving, the other 30% between long distance heavy towing and driving on our Texas ranch. So I feel that I am the ideal customer for a doing everything truck. I'm just trying to balance the build. I would prefer 35s probably but thinking 37s are the way to go all things considered.
Thanks
__________________
17 RAM 3500 CTD HO/Aisin CC SRW- AEV conversion
AEV front and rear bumpers
AEV wheels
AEV differential covers
AEV mudflaps
Vision X lights
Warn 16.5
AMP power steps
Titan aux fuel tank
TruckVault / CargoGlide
Nuthouse Industries custom bedrack
Carli Backcountry suspension
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 01-07-2017, 05:58 PM
RF2200 RF2200 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Northeast Iowa
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx1125 View Post
Lots of questions :-)
1- I have read and enjoyed your posts on tires, shackles, us vs China etc
2- not my first hd RAM. Traded in my 2500 for this truck
3- When I tow its fairly heavy and I wanted the Aisin based on my experience with the 2500 tranny. I didn't get rear air from factory because it's more about leveling than ride comfort.
4- Carli states all factory specs maintained unless you go to their full leafs in rear
5- the AEV bumper with winch etc adds a lot of weight in the front. Combined with the already heavy cummins front. Most of my research suggested that an upgrade in suspension was in order.

My trucks spend 70% time daily driving, the other 30% between long distance heavy towing and driving on our Texas ranch. So I feel that I am the ideal customer for a doing everything truck. I'm just trying to balance the build. I would prefer 35s probably but thinking 37s are the way to go all things considered.
Thanks
It's all good. The main thing is that you are happy with your truck.

Regarding 4 - Carli is false in saying that all factory specs are maintained. AEV doesn't even say that. AEV says "allows greater performance off-road, while also improving driver comfort and vehicle handling characteristics on the road and maintaining the factory load carrying capacity." In reality, if Ram offered something like the Carli kit on a Ram 3500 from the factory it would be de-rated in the same way that the Power Wagon is de-rated.
Regarding 5 - The bumper and winch definitely add weight but the solution isn't softer linear rate springs. The solution would be an uprated spring.
Regarding 3 - According to AEVDave the 3500 with air assist does indeed have a softer spring pack.

Doesn't really matter at this point. You already installed the Carli kit. You like it. All good. It's not like you put a 12" skyjacker lift on there.

Sounds like your real question was about tires. Go with the 37s.
__________________
Ram Laramie Power Wagon
AEV Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Land Rover Discovery SD Series I
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 01-08-2017, 08:55 AM
olyelr olyelr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Kewadin, MI
Posts: 135
Default

Is there something wrong with the Skyjacker 12" kit?
__________________
2016 RAM Power Wagon Laramie
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.