Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > American Expedition Vehicles > Expeditions and Back Country Adventures using AEV Products

Unread 10-06-2016, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Default Dusy Ershim Trail

AEV recently teamed up with Glendale Chrysler, New Mexico Backroads, Peden 4WD and Rocktech Offroad to tackle the legendary Dusy Ershim Trail in California’s Sierra Nevada Mountains. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this trail, it was constructed between 1956 and 1968 by the 4WD Club of Fresno. The trail spans 33-miles in length and runs along the division line between the John Muir Wilderness and the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness. What makes this trail special is its unique combination of stunning beauty, isolation, duration and its nearly unrelenting gauntlet of boulders and trees.

The 4WD Club of Fresno rates this trail as “Most Difficult” and as visitors to the trail quickly learn – they aren’t kidding. In fact after just one day on the trail it was easy for us to see why most people allow between three and five days to complete it. It really is a workout, but man what a rewarding workout it is! If you are thinking about running the Dusy Ershim Trail, I would encourage you to do as our team did by allowing five days. By doing this, we had time to claw away at between four and ten miles of trail per day, but still get in to camp fairly early. This in turn meant that we had plenty of time to service our vehicles, shake off the dust and generally soak in the beautiful surroundings of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Overall, this trail is too special to rush, so take your time and enjoy it. Just keep in mind that good preparation will go a long way toward helping you enjoy it. With the Dusy Ershim Trail, help is a long way away and breakdowns are a real concern.

If you have any questions about the Dusy Ershim Trail and/or our trip, feel free to e-mail me at chris@aev-conversions.com

Chris Wood - AEV

As a side-note, I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank our trail team for all their hard work, enthusiasm and resilience. I’ve worked with a lot of teams over the years and this one was easily among the best:
1) Jake Quinones at New Mexico Backroads / www.newmexicobackroads.com
2) Chris Johnson at Rock Tech Offroad / www.rocktechoffroad.com
3) Brad Peden at Peden 4WD / www.peden4wheeldrive.com
4) Jackson Ellis at Glendale Chrysler / www.glendaledodgecalifornia.com
5) Kyle Leeds and Ryan Racine / www.aev-conversions.com

This post was posted by Chris Holt for Chris Wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7543 (Low Res).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	20363  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7377 (Low Res).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	20364  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7615 (Low Res).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	20365  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8272 (Low Res).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	20366  Click image for larger version

Name:	xDSC_7657 (Ryan).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	633.2 KB
ID:	20367  

cholt@aev-conversions.com

Last edited by AEV Chris; 10-06-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Unread 10-06-2016, 09:05 AM

Panhead and I did it the end of august and it was a dusty son of a gun. We did 3 days 2 nights and got a late first day start. Only problem with taking 5 days Panhead would have ran out of moonshine and me beer LOL. It definitely should be on everyone's bucket list. Curious what service did the vehicles need?
Unread 10-06-2016, 03:26 PM

Unrelenting is a an excellent description of the Dusy Ershim trail. When I ran the trail with a group from San Diego 4 Wheelers, we ran it in three days and two nights with a total behind the wheel time of 34 hours (10+7+7). That time included trail repairs for two flat tires, a damaged brake line, a failed alternator and a leaky power steering unit. Fortunately, all of the repairs were made on other Jeeps. We also spent time picking up the remains of a large cooler that was decapitated by a tree branch. The Dusy Ershim gives both the driver and vehicle a good workout, but it's well worth the effort.
Unread 10-06-2016, 08:14 PM

I really enjoyed it although I did have to rebuild everything underneath the Jeep when I was done . Bent trans crossmember and EVO skid , bumpers shoved up and gouged , tie rod bent , tires missing chunks . Forgot to tell you I had to drive home 2300 miles after doing a parking lot hillbilly alignment . I probably would have been OK if Jeff had spotted me once in a while and not pushed me so hard .

My goal on these adventures is simple and that's keep the sheetmetal straight and red paint on the Jeep.
Unread 10-10-2016, 02:36 PM

Dusy Ershim is on my list (as well as Fordyce) for next year.

As a side note, Chris Johnson of RockTech did my regear on my Brute two summers ago, as well as correcting a few other issues...highly recommend his shop for all things 4x4...
Unread 10-12-2016, 02:01 PM

Default Dusy Ershim Trail

What kind of spares did y'all bring or need?

Last edited by klausvanwinkle; 03-04-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Unread 11-30-2016, 10:29 AM
Administrator

In case you missed it, here is a teaser video of our Dusy Ershim trip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y47sZxDtJDw
cholt@aev-conversions.com
Unread 11-30-2016, 11:36 AM

Nice. I regret not taking any video when Panhead and I did it.
Unread 11-30-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klausvanwinkle View Post
I'm amazed Jake ran it with stock rock rails (no outrigger tube, I also run stock enhanced rails and find them plenty strong).

What kind of spares did y'all bring or need?
We did not bring any spares parts just lots of ice to keep the beer cold LOL.
I thought of bringing a spare drive shaft for the rear but decided I'd chance it.
Unread 11-30-2016, 05:51 PM

Looking forward to the full video. The Dusy Ershim is a fun/challenging trail.