Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 01-11-2017, 12:18 PM

The ProCal only comes with the AEV lift unless AEV has changed their policy. Regarding the regear, make sure that it is done by a knowledgable and experienced shop. You don't want your truck to be their first time. I would be less concerned about cost and more concerned about getting it done right the first time.
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech
Unread 01-11-2017, 12:20 PM

Do you think a factory AEV build is better? For me most of the fun is building the truck they way I want and item by item so I would never spend the extra more for a 'factory build'.

I too am running the Carli kit and have no complaints. I called Carli ahead of time and while there are a number of different factory spring rates Carli said their springs are a happy medium and are more than capable to handle factory loads. Some purists might not like aftermarket springs but that doesn't mean they aren't as capable.

Upgrading the brakes is always a positive but it depends on what wheels you are running. The AEV wheels are smaller than factory so a brake upgrade is most likely not possible.

As for tires I too am running 35s. I don't need the biggest truck out there and find that 35s fir my needs perfectly. Mine are E load range and rated very close to the factory tire weights if I remember correctly. I wouldn't be so concerned unless you tow like I do. I crunched all the numbers ahead of time to make sure I still have a safety margin. I have room for 37s but don't think I'll ever upgrade as a regear would just about be mandatory at that point. I am happy with 3.42 and 35s but don't think it would be the best combo with 37s. I've seen a number of trucks running 37s and have yet to see one that doesn't rub under compression where as I can crank the wheel on my truck at full articulation and no rubbing which is exactly what I want.
Unread 01-11-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF2200 View Post
If you are going to regear ... I would definitely get the lockers before a winch, raised air intake, or hood.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 01-11-2017, 12:50 PM

my biggest reason for leaning towards the AEV lift on a RAM is the pro cal. Having driven in a truck with the correct programming, and one wth out, its night and day different.

Also, the KO2's in a 37 are only going to get you about an extra inch (inflated height) over the AT2's

However, they are my personal choice since i have them on my jeep (37's) and my truck...
Unread 01-11-2017, 01:15 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, please keep it coming.

A couple responses to questions.

I absolutely think that an AEV factory build is the better way to go. I learned of a AEV late in the game, after I had custom ordered my 3500 from the dealer and it was delivered. The next time I would definitely go through AEV directly, I will probably do that after a couple years of owning this truck. For now, I'm just trying to get it as close as reasonably possible.

To me, the 35's look too small on the truck, at least with the Carli 3 inch lift. If I don't like the 37, I can always go back to 35's.

Bummer about the procal. Maybe I will call and see if they will make an exception. I would pay twice the retail cost. It would be worth it to me, otherwise I think it's going to be a bit of a pain to try to get things configured.

4.10s are a must for me with 37, frankly would be nice with the 35s. I still can't believe on the 3500 you can only order 3.42
AEV differential covers
AEV mudflaps
Vision X lights
Warn 16.5
AMP power steps
Titan aux fuel tank
TruckVault / CargoGlide
Nuthouse Industries custom bedrack
Carli Backcountry suspension
Unread 01-14-2017, 06:52 AM

37s and 4.10 scheduled, as well as some adjustments to suspension. Still sitting a bit too nose high for my taste.

One more pic with 35s at our ranch near Bandera. Can always go back if I don't like the 37s. These aren't bad just a little small and a little too much howl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4295.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	21194  
AEV differential covers
AEV mudflaps
Vision X lights
Warn 16.5
AMP power steps
Titan aux fuel tank
TruckVault / CargoGlide
Nuthouse Industries custom bedrack
Carli Backcountry suspension
Unread 01-14-2017, 08:42 AM

Other companies make a device that will re adjust the Speedo and gear ratio. Why AEV doesn't release theirs as well outside the package is disappointing though.
Unread 01-14-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhill View Post
Other companies make a device that will re adjust the Speedo and gear ratio. Why AEV doesn't release theirs as well outside the package is disappointing though.

They do for the jeep so I don't see any reason why they eventually won't for the ram as well.

As more and more products are released for the Ram I think it will be more plausible.

As far as I know the Rack and rear bumper are next on the list.

Personally I think they should do a 20-30 gal fuel tank that replaces the under spare too. Similar to the Titan tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 01-14-2017, 07:43 PM

I feel the BFG KO2's are a good tire for every day use in all seasons. I run 37's on. '16 Power Wagon. With 410 gears the truck runs good aand at higher altitude does good as well. I'd think the Cummins, you'd be fine without gearing, however if it's in the budget, 410's and an ARB rear locker couldn't hurt. After winter is over, I may be switching out to 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers or Toyo Mt in a 37 12.50 17. I do have the Procal installed but not the suspension yet. The tire do fit, but trimming was done in the front wheel wells and rubs at full flex with the sway bar disconnected and wheel turned in either direction. I run 47psi for daily driving and when loaded down, I run them at their max 50psi. Warmed up they run at about 55psi during these winter months. During warmer weather, I will have to run lower psi to keep them close to their ma. 50psi cold.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110185.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	21195  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110190.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	21196  
Unread 01-16-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timgco View Post
I run 47psi for daily driving and when loaded down, I run them at their max 50psi. Warmed up they run at about 55psi during these winter months. During warmer weather, I will have to run lower psi to keep them close to their ma. 50psi cold.
I like your truck, but your tire pressures are much too high.
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech