Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 02-21-2017, 08:08 PM

Default Flippac for prospector

The more I see them on Toyotas the more I want one for the Ram. Does anyone know of a place where you could have the leer unit below converted to a flippac?

I know flip pac makes one for full size trucks but they look like crap on the curvy beds of Rams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 02-22-2017, 09:38 AM

Seems like others have a similar desire -

See post, maybe this could offer some ideas, though this is for a long bed. Not affiliated with the seller - just noticed it on Craigslist in PDX.

Good luck!
Unread 02-22-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhntr View Post
Seems like others have a similar desire -

See post, maybe this could offer some ideas, though this is for a long bed. Not affiliated with the seller - just noticed it on Craigslist in PDX.

Good luck!

No link

Unread 02-22-2017, 10:04 PM

I would like a conversion of an existing shell as well,don't know of any.
Toyota seems to have a lot of cool stuff available.
On the Expedition Portal site there have been a few posters that used a VW camper or van camper for a conversion.
I like the floor entrance on the one below as opposed to an outside ladder.
http://adventuretrailers.com/campers/toyota-habitat/
There is this as well,unfortunately like the above for Toyota.
They may install this one.
http://adventuretrailers.com/vehicle-habitat/
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...ded-In-The-USA!

Last edited by chet6.7; 02-22-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Unread 02-23-2017, 04:36 AM

Well Toyota and jeeps have been the go to companies for equipment like this for a long time so it makes sense that all the cool toys are for those brands. I am hoping that with the rapidly increasing popularity of the ram more manufacturers will come around.

I emailed flip pac to see if they would make a Ram specific model, but no answer as of yet.

I really just like the simplicity of a flip pack. Plus there is no cover to deal with and it barely increases your overall head height. I also like that when deployed in the forward position it doesn't increase you overall footprint either. That can be a big bonus in some areas.

Unread 02-23-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTEngineer View Post
Well Toyota and jeeps have been the go to companies for equipment like this for a long time so it makes sense that all the cool toys are for those brands. I am hoping that with the rapidly increasing popularity of the ram more manufacturers will come around.

I emailed flip pac to see if they would make a Ram specific model, but no answer as of yet.

I really just like the simplicity of a flip pack. Plus there is no cover to deal with and it barely increases your overall head height. I also like that when deployed in the forward position it doesn't increase you overall footprint either. That can be a big bonus in some areas.

I am kind of torn between the flip over the hood style of the flippac or the flip back style of the habitat. Smaller footprint is definitely great, but I do really like that flipping back provides a really nice awning/shelter for cooking and gives the potential to add a screened room or a walled room for more protection from the elements. The Flippac had some short coming, particularly in the torsion bar springs and in the tent design. The tent was not adequate for heavy rain and thus requires a separate rain fly for hard rains.

The Habitat tent had a fair amount of R&D and AT actually subs that part out to NEMO which specialized in backpacking tents and equipment. It uses aluminum instead of fiberglass, and eliminates the torsion spring by using gas struts.

In the Habitat thread on Expedition Portal, AT says to email them with the make/model of your vehicle and they will consider expanding the Habitat line to additional models with enough interest, but it appears at the moment the Tacoma market is booming for their product so I wouldn't expect other brands anytime soon (but that is just my speculation). A Prospector with a Habitat would be a killer combo though!!!
Unread 02-23-2017, 09:56 AM

Hmmmm - sorry about that, lets try again:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/rvs/6007915260.html

Not the conversion your hoping for and not you your vintage but may give ideas.

I'd guess you'll have to look for something custom or go the FWC route.

2nd post by this seller:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/rvs/6007915260.html
Unread 02-23-2017, 11:10 AM

Yea that is definitely not the direction I want to head in, but good looking out though.

Unread 02-23-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR4LFE View Post
I am kind of torn between the flip over the hood style of the flippac or the flip back style of the habitat. Smaller footprint is definitely great, but I do really like that flipping back provides a really nice awning/shelter for cooking and gives the potential to add a screened room or a walled room for more protection from the elements. The Flippac had some short coming, particularly in the torsion bar springs and in the tent design. The tent was not adequate for heavy rain and thus requires a separate rain fly for hard rains.

The Habitat tent had a fair amount of R&D and AT actually subs that part out to NEMO which specialized in backpacking tents and equipment. It uses aluminum instead of fiberglass, and eliminates the torsion spring by using gas struts.

A Prospector with a Habitat would be a killer combo though!!!

I feel the same way, but I lean more towards the front style. For added ground protection I think a fox wing with walls would be ideally paired.

If you had the rear style flippac it would be a long narrow space that would not offer much elbow room.

Flippac actually made the first ones for AT and now I think AT licenses the design from them with subtle changes.

Nemo is a great company too. I have a few of their products and can't praise them enough. I'd actually like to see more joint ventures like this with camping tent companies. I think lower weight and performance would go through the roof. No pun intended.

I just wish the flippac was a more truck model specific deal instead of a one size fits all.

Unread 02-23-2017, 01:38 PM

I would like something more like this.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...ded-In-The-USA!