Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dirtchief686
    • Dec 2013

COD/MW3, need some info

hey guys, i bought a 2012 mw3 a few months back, it supposedly has the AEV hood on it but does not have the "vents" cut out in it. is their anyway to have the aev heat reduction vents put in it? the front part holds a gallon of water in it when it rains! why did mopar put this hood on it without the vents?? thanks.
  • Edge Hawk
    • Sep 2012

i had those same questions too.

best thing, buy a painted aev hood from quadratec and sell your hood.

Mopar probably didn't want water going down and splashing pulleys, alternator, etc.
    2014 Red JKUR
    AEV rear bumper
    AEV rear diff skid

2012 4-Door Silver MW3 Traded in 6/14
    2011 JK Detonator Yellow 4-Door - sold 4/12
    2007 JK Silver 2-Door - sold 4/11

Comment

• dirtchief686
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Edge Hawk
      i had those same questions too.

best thing, buy a painted aev hood from quadratec and sell your hood.

Mopar probably didn't want water going down and splashing pulleys, alternator, etc.
      i wonder what the reasoning was behind the decision NOT to go ahead and put the 3 vents in the hood? and not putting a winch plate in the "winch ready" bumper?

Comment

• Jdemonto
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by dirtchief686
        i wonder what the reasoning was behind the decision NOT to go ahead and put the 3 vents in the hood? and not putting a winch plate in the "winch ready" bumper?
        I am sure that's more of a cost factor

Jason
        Jason De Monto
        Trail Concepts
        480-788-7245
        2015 Jeep Rubicon
        Baja Yellow
        Dual Sport 106

Comment

• Edge Hawk
          • Sep 2012

As for the winch plate, I wrote a letter to Chrysler about it.

My sticker still said winch ready, not winch capable.

You also need the fairlead bracket too. From Mopar, that's 522 for both, from AEV, it's only 246ish.

So, they offered me 6 free oil changes. I went out and bought 30 Quarts of Mobil 1 and 6 oil filters. I sent them the receipt and they sent me a check.
          2014 Red JKUR
          AEV rear bumper
          AEV rear diff skid

2012 4-Door Silver MW3 Traded in 6/14
          2011 JK Detonator Yellow 4-Door - sold 4/12
          2007 JK Silver 2-Door - sold 4/11

Comment

• dirtchief686
            • Dec 2013

yea, i think aev and or chrysler got the cart before the horse on the COD/MW3

Comment

• JKMax
              • Dec 2009

This question came up a while back when the MW3 was first introduced. Dave H said that to meet the Chrysler demand for the hoods, they had to speed up the process by not cutting out the spaces for the vents, or emplacing the vent meshes. Chrysler didn't care- they really only wanted the look. So, the stock Mopar version is vent-less... and yet the original AEV vented hood has a Mopar number, too. Long story short, adding vents is no easy thing, since you'd not only have to cut accurately, but install the vents, which require studs on the original version, and would probably require welding on a DIY version. All told, if you want the vented hood, you're better off making a swap out to one that comes factory-made with them.

As an aside, the 10th Anniversary Edition Rubi shows how Mopar engineers decided to put some vents back into the non-vented hood, but they are not so open nor, therefore, so functional as the AEV designed vents. Probably again, closer to an aesthetic decision for Mopar. Still, it's better to have small vents (center only) than none at all.
              2009 JK Rubi (4DR, Det. Yellow)
              AEV: 3.5" SC, Fr/Rr Bumpers w/ all works, Corner Guards, Rr Diff Slider, Hood, Snorkel, Pre-Filter, Savegres

Comment

Working...