Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > American Expedition Vehicles > AEV Miscellaneous

Unread 01-25-2017, 09:21 AM

Default 2016 AEV JK350 and Jeep Recall

Hi All,

I received a recall notice from Jeep that relates to the frontend impact sensor wires and airbags. I own a 2016 JK350 purchased new and built by AEV... I've been meaning to properly introduce myself here but haven't gotten to it yet. I will

Can I assume with my AEV installed front bumper, crush cans, etc. that the harness was modified and relocated during production and this recall would not apply to my particular AEV built Jeep?

Thanks,

Matt

Details-

NHTSA Recall Number: 16V-734 Recall Date: October 11, 2016
Manufacturer Recall Number: S76

SUMMARY:
THE FRONT IMPACT SENSOR WIRE(S) MAY BECOME DETACHED DURING A CRASH EVENT BEFORE THE IMPACT SIGNAL IS RECORDED BY THE OCCUPANT RESTRAINT CONTROLLER (ORC).
SAFETY RISK:
VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE NO AIRBAG AND PRETENSIONER DEPLOYMENT IN CERTAIN CRASH EVENTS. FAILURE TO HAVE AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT WHEN REQUIRED DURING A CRASH EVENT COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF INJURY OR DEATH TO FRONT SEAT OCCUPANTS.
REMEDY:

THE EXISTING FRONT END MODULE WIRE HARNESS MUST BE MODIFIED THEN ROUTED AND SECURED TO A NEW LOCATION.
Unread 01-25-2017, 09:28 AM
Administrator

I would recommend if you received a recall notice, take it in no matter what. The dealer can assess what needs to be done and make sure everything is functioning as it should.
cholt@aev-conversions.com
Unread 01-25-2017, 09:55 AM

Good advice for sure Chris. I appreciate the quick response.

I live 70 Miles of twisting mountain road (lucky I know) from the nearest dealer and would like to avoid an unnecessary trip. I'll work it in and have the dealer take a look.

Thanks,

Matt
Unread 01-27-2017, 12:00 PM

I had the same recall notice on the same year jeep also built at AEV and had the same thought as you. I took mine to a dealer anyway who explained sensor wire is too long and can get snagged and disconnect in a crash causing airbags to not deploy. To remedy they needed to remove grill to get to the wire, so while they had the grill off I had them swap out OEM headlights, which I planned to do anyway...just not this soon.
Unread 01-28-2017, 08:35 AM

This is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for from someone that had it corrected. I've been thinking about the headlight upgrade as well and this sounds like a good time to check that off.

Which headlight did you go with? Big difference?
Unread 01-30-2017, 10:47 AM

I went with the JW Speaker 8700J and would highly recommend them. There is a night and day difference (pun intended) v. oem. I did run into an issue with the IPF lights after installing JW Speaker headlights though...same as a few others on the forum...buzzing noise when the IPFs were turned on. Re-wired IPFs so no more buzzing, they are still tied into the same switch on top of steering column, but now operate independent of the brights.
Unread 05-22-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV Chris View Post
I would recommend if you received a recall notice, take it in no matter what. The dealer can assess what needs to be done and make sure everything is functioning as it should.
I would second this. Just had an accident with my 2016 AEV Wrangler and guess what didn't go off. I got the recall notice in the mail 2 days later... I'm very lucky to walk away without any injuries considering I had a medical emergency, blacked out and hit a tree going around 35 mph.

Go get those recall notices fixed as soon as possible!