Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 04-20-2016, 05:56 PM

Default Bed Rack for Ram

Getting ready to build an all aluminum bed rack for our shop AEV equipped RAM truck for the Unlimited Off Road Expo in June. Have decided on square aluminum tube. Not sure if we are going to bend the square tube or miter and weld the corners. Will be sporting a CVT RTT from the looks of it and a spare tire mount. That is what we have on paper to start with

Looking for any suggestions, comments and features you would like to see, as this is something we would like to fab for production. Any discussion welcomed. Not everyone likes my taste lol

Post up here or feel free to email me

tom@nuthouseindustries.com

Was going to try and have an expedition truck bed done but we are getting ready to start "MixedNuts" this week. Trailer and living quarters module showed up yesterday, 1.5 months behind the time line out supplier quoted, so we are getting ready to start living at the shop the next few weeks

NutHouse Industries LLC
Unread 04-20-2016, 06:15 PM

If you built it to where it won't interfere with a roll up tonneau like the revolver x2, and at about the same height as the one demoed on the AEV truck I will probably be the first on your waitlist

But in all seriousness, I would like to see a shovel, scene light locations, and possible a fire extinguish mount as well. For the most part structurally, I don't think any of that matters and it can all be added later.

Structurally, just this simple design with the ability to place a 270 degree awning would be a win for me.

http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/foru...-amp-Bed-Racks
Unread 04-20-2016, 06:21 PM

Will check the link out. Scene lighting as well as other lighting planned. Will also look at the tonneau cover

Height is being set up close to the AEV height I believe. Setting up the rack to be approx 77-78" off the ground to work with the CVT tent. Quick calculations with AEV 3" DS is about 17" above the bed rail from memory. Sticks below the cab several inches. Rack should work with the tent if I decide to run 40's

NutHouse Industries LLC
Unread 04-20-2016, 06:30 PM

One of the good things with the CVT is that they have extensions to their ladders, should you need it. I was more concerned with blocking my rear window than the height when I first started drawing out some ideas. Just from looking around it seems there are two methods, one is a multi-support inside the bed, the other uses the 4 mounts in the corners. One that is stable using just those 4 mounts would apply to more vehicle I think, especially anyone that covers their bed.
Unread 04-20-2016, 06:39 PM

Default Bed Rack for Ram

It would be pretty sweet to have some kind of a "e-track" system on it. Then folks would be able to install different hardware to fit whatever they were needing/wanting. It would even be easy to swap/change up the hardware as needed.
Unread 04-20-2016, 06:48 PM

We are looking at the 4 mounts for our application. The rack for the shop truck will be down about 3" in be rear window. We can make the rack any height if needed. I was more worried about having "too much" above the truck if that makes sense. The spare tire on my truck will hang below the rack using the the OEM gear I will rob of the stock location off the top of our heads so far. Wanted to keep my bed space. Right now my spare tire is an ARB repair kit and an ARB twin compressor.

NutHouse Industries LLC
Unread 04-20-2016, 06:59 PM

Very interesting. Looking forward to what you make, this is the second item on my to do list.
Unread 04-21-2016, 04:39 PM

Definately interested in what you come up with, please make sure it works with the Rambox system. I am in the market for a bed rack for my CVT tent at the moment. I also would not want it to extend to far above the roof of the truck (including the tent) for aerodynamics.
Unread 04-21-2016, 05:45 PM

Getting a few emails with some great ideas and feed back. Keep them coming

NutHouse Industries LLC
Unread 04-22-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutHouse Industires View Post
The spare tire on my truck will hang below the rack using the the OEM gear I will rob of the stock location off the top of our heads so far.

NutHouse Industries LLC

This for sure. Also I second the option to fit ram boxes as well as fit a 270deg awning.

Also if we could have something on the side or back for jacks, roto packs and the like would be great! See pictures below.

Something that extends out over the cab for a little extra storage would be cool too.

Obviously there are a lot of ways to go and a lot of different opinions but if we could get some modular options ie add a over cab rack, add under tire spare rack, add side or rear jack/roto pack storage, I think you could have not only have a unique product but also one that can fit a wider range of users.

Last edited by TTEngineer; 04-22-2016 at 09:53 AM.