Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Brute and Brute Double Cab Pickup Discussion

Unread 01-14-2017, 04:44 PM

Default 04 TJ Rubicon Brute Build

A couple of quick suspension question for current owners and DIY builders. My project donor is an 04 TJ rubicon.

How do the stock sway bars on the original donor TJ hold up to the added weight and length of the single cab Brute ?? (especially loaded with new gas tank, winch, RTT (RTT and rack at about180 lbs.), and all the crap to camp??)

Did any of you build custom length rear control arms or did you install LJ kit long arms in the rear?? (mid length, long or other??)

Did any of you install custom or off the shelf leveling kits of any kind on the rear springs/shocks?? (ex: ACOS, custom preload kits, air bags??)

I currently have an RE short arm and moving to custom long arm I'll be building. The truck will see heavy loads overlanding, but light loads around town. (Spare will be mounted off rear bumper (runnin 35's))

Frame mods are done, rear m8000 and Genright 24.5 tank installed. Emissions bracket relocated and cab 90% welding done!

TJ

Last edited by Roughshod; 01-24-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Unread 01-14-2017, 08:39 PM

A couple of pics along the journey,

Emissions length wise along old rear crossmember. Bottom of the canister is level with the bottom of the frame.

TJ
Unread 01-14-2017, 08:48 PM

Cut the last 1/2 inch or so off the old 3rd brake light shroud and added to the top for a little cleaner look. Top will be painted red so I thought it might add contrast. Added gasket behind plastic shroud.

This old Hanson Enterprises rear bumper will be modded to accept the winch fairlead as well as a spare tire carrier.

TJ
Unread 01-21-2017, 02:52 PM

Nice build bro, looking forward to the progression. Anymore shots of the rear bumper?
Unread 01-21-2017, 07:56 PM

Will be cutting out the old bumper receiver and replacing with a new fairlead, taking a bit of the bottom center of the old bumper off to gain access to the receiver built into the brute rear subframe (it covers about the top 1/4 inch of the new receiver), then either one large swing away or a half barn door style swing for spare tire and mount the license plate onto the left side of the tailgate ( similar to a 66' to 77' bronco) with swing up lic. plate mount.

TJ
Unread 01-22-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughshod View Post
...How do the stock sway bars on the original donor TJ hold up to the added weight and length of the single cab Brute ?? (especially loaded with new gas tank, winch, RTT (RTT and rack at about180 lbs.), and all the crap to camp??)

Did any of you build custom length rear control arms or did you install LJ kit long arms in the rear?? (mid length, long or other??)

Did any of you install custom or off the shelf leveling kits of any kind on the rear springs/shocks?? (ex: ACOS, custom preload kits, air bags??)
I've done about 75,000 miles since I built my pickup, which is not quite a Brute (see thread with that title), but built approximately the same way. The wheelbase is about 8" longer than the Brute wheelbase and the truck probably weighs slightly more than the Brute does.

All suspension components are stock, except it's got a 2" "budget boost" lift with longer shocks and an adjustable track bar in the rear. Tires are 32". Sway bars are stock.

In the rear I've got a set of Airlift 1000 air bag helpers inside the springs to help with loads in the bed. Normally I keep them at about 10 lbs. pressure (to keep the bags from moving inside the springs and twisting the air lines) but for heavy loads I go up to 25lbs.

In the 75,000 miles since I built it, I've had no abnormal wear on any suspension components. The truck is very well behaved on the road, and does well off-road as well.

I replaced the front sway bar links due to wear at about 90,000 miles, but I also replaced them on my LJ at about the same mileage (maybe the LJ had 110k or so, I don't recall exactly), so I don't think the need to replace them had anything to do with the fact that it's converted to a pickup.

I hope this info helps.

Unread 01-24-2017, 07:27 PM

Excellent! I needed some real world data. Your description of your rig helps my project a lot. I'm guilty of overbuilding sometimes but with 92k on the donor I'm really trying to sort the jeep so I don't have to tear back into it in the short term.

I'm headed into the suspension phase come February and will be replacing the old 3" kit in its entirety. Still piecing together control arm brackets and ends for the links. Will be retaining a full array of Nth degree skid plates that have been on the jeep for years.

Thanks again for the help in answering the questions, updates to come as work progresses.

TJ