Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 02-27-2017, 06:13 AM

Default lockers?

Snowiest winter on record here. A truck with a Diesel engine up front and designed to tow with no weight in the rear is going to suck with or without LSD if in 2wd. Even full locker doesn't buy much in rear on ice or snow. It's not a big deal to pop in and out of 4x4. This has been my ski vehicle this year, love it, but don't wish I had a lsd based on how little weight is distributed to the rear and the performance of the rear locker (lack of performance under street conditions).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100
Unread 02-27-2017, 10:55 AM

I have the factory LSD in the back and with my Toyo r/t a/t tires I can't use my truck this winter. The LSD on ice makes the truck fishtail instantly. 2wd on snow is a 50/50 mix of fishtail or not. I have to put it in 4wd just to get out of the driveway just from the ice and compacted old snow on the ground.

I will be removing the LSD and installing ARB lockers front and rear, along with studded snow tires before next winter. Also going to keep my camper on the truck all next winter. The LSD is great in warmer weather but hell on the ice without weight in the back and no snow tires.

If anyone wants a factory 2014 3500 HD locker with 25k on it pm me and I'll keep your info handy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by liftedlimo; 02-27-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Unread 02-27-2017, 11:11 AM

I have been on the fence about running studs but after this winter , think that is gonna happen for next winter.

Sounds like the consensus on a LSD is to save the time/money and just pony up for ARBs
Unread 02-27-2017, 04:12 PM

If the roads are bad enough that an LSD is messing with me having LSD or not IMO should not matter as the roads are bad.. I'm running it in 4wd at that point. I've had both an open diff truck and an LSD truck and did not have any issues either way. I've never had nay issues running in 4wd at higher speeds. I will say that the LSD did not seem that great when stuck in the mud this year so I would be more apt to order as an open diff and not pay the LSD fee and just add lockers.

Pete
Attached Images

Last edited by PeteEinMT; 02-27-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Unread 02-27-2017, 04:19 PM

with 40 inch tires might be alright then. with 37 inch tires it spins too easy in my opinion. But maybe I should dare to add a rear ARB to my front one and ditch the LSD.

Last edited by AEVRAM3500; 02-27-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Unread 02-27-2017, 07:39 PM

Default lockers?

Tire pressure.....

It's a bit like putting a LSD in a mustang because your worried about wet or muddy roads. All kinds of torque looking to find an outlet and sure it might help a bit, but imagine a mustang with even worse weight distribution. 60-70% of the weight is in the front of our trucks. But if it is so slick that your spinning tires, either have 1,500lbs of sand in the back or put it in 4x4. It has been hilarious watching the rear wheel drive cameros, mustangs, chargers, the past week. Lol. They just give up and leave them in the roads. Watched a 2x4 pickup attempt to get out of his drive way for 10 min before he started to shovel. (No mood to help this fellow, case in point it took 10mij before he busted the shovel out. Then quit and left it and got a ride).

Once the temperature is about 50F I notice a lot less issue. Especially if tire pressure is correct for not having a load in the rear.

Now, that said, I was helping a fellow change a flat in a JK a few days ago and turned around on a two lane highway. Buried the truck in a snow, as the plows made it look deceptively shallow. Wrong. Buried all four wheels above axles. Zero motion forward or back, truck off camber sideways.

Locked front and rear and climbed right out. Open diff or LSD and he would have had to jerk me out after I helped with his tire. Lockers killed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Last edited by Wapitihunter; 02-27-2017 at 07:51 PM.
Unread 04-20-2017, 11:41 AM

Sorry to kick up an older thread but does anyone know where to find an e-locker for the AAM 11.5?

I'd rather have an electric locker than air for more reliability and ease of field repairs if something goes down.

I'm also playing around with keeping the LSD. I know some have said they want to keep the LSD out back and run a locker up front but wouldn't a Torsen be better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Unread 04-20-2017, 07:01 PM

Contact your Ram dealer. It is only available through the OEM channel, as far as I know. You will also need the other ancillary parts to actuate the lockers.

The OEM uses a helical gear design like the Torsen. Difference would mainly be the torque bias.

Dave, Diesel Power Products, and essentially every personal truck that I have seen that was owned by a professional in the industry has lockers not LSD. To the people who are trying to decide which is best, I would say follow their lead.
Unread 04-20-2017, 07:06 PM

They make both the Tracrite GTL and Tracrite EL. The GTL has lsd and locker the EL has just the locker. Power wagon has GTL
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech
Unread 04-20-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTEngineer View Post
Sorry to kick up an older thread but does anyone know where to find an e-locker for the AAM 11.5?

I'd rather have an electric locker than air for more reliability and ease of field repairs if something goes down.

I'm also playing around with keeping the LSD. I know some have said they want to keep the LSD out back and run a locker up front but wouldn't a Torsen be better?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Randy's has both front and rear for 2500 and just the front for 3500...

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/Parts...=4WD&DiffID=95

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/Parts...4WD&DiffID=109

Last edited by 12THRAM; 04-20-2017 at 07:20 PM.