Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 03-24-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd View Post
if you have cam adjusters they can easily do it independently. make sure you keep the control arm bolts tight as cam adjusters have a habit of moving if at under torqued.
Thanks Jeff...good to know!
Unread 03-24-2017, 02:35 PM

WRONG !! That only will adjust the total caster on both sides . It does not allow
for one side only because it is a fixed axle. Now if you have an offset ball joint or something like that you could do side to side but the dana44 is a fixed axle.

I was holding a quiz .
Unread 04-01-2017, 10:12 AM

So, I took my rig into Firestone for an alignment and the tech called me after it was on the rack and told me the alignment was almost spot-on to manufactures specs. I was told that the Pulling problem was more than likely being caused by the tires, they call it a "radial pull." This is probably being caused because the dealer incorrectly rotated my spare to the wrong side. Kind of makes sense and I plan on switching the tires around to see if the problem goes away.
Unread 04-12-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5 View Post
WRONG !! That only will adjust the total caster on both sides . It does not allow
for one side only because it is a fixed axle. Now if you have an offset ball joint or something like that you could do side to side but the dana44 is a fixed axle.

I was holding a quiz .
Well, being a relatively new (26 months/16,000 mile) JKU owner, I learned something the hard way. I was wheeling in the desert, and I hit a hole. I hit it hard. Really hard. And when I got out onto the blacktop road, my steering was cocked to the right. The next day I got it aligned and all was well.

A few weeks later someone asked me if I had changed out the bolts in my control arms and track bars? HUH??? It seems that the lower control arms and track bars are drilled for 9/16 bolts, but JEEP fills the holes with 14mm bolts. And there is some slop. So I got the bolts and tried to make the change. The rear end went well. The front end, not so much. The old bolts came out, but the new bolts wouldn't go in. I called my son (more experienced) and he came over with his ratchet-straps. We pulled and played with the front axle and got it all together with the new bolts. And in the following test drive..... the steering wheel was again cocked - in the opposite direction. Back we went for another alignment.

If your JK/JKU has the stock 14mm bolts, it is possible that your alignment is off because the bolt to hole slop has allowed it to shift. This is especially possible of you have never checked that all was torqued to spec or you took a hit as I did.

I offer this as my experience. I make no claim that this is your problem, only that it was mine, and it has since been corrected. Fortunately, I fixed it before it became a bigger problem. I have heard of JEEPs that have had those bolts loosen and cause the bolt holes to be worn larger and larger. Once that happened, death wobble became a real nightmare.

Good luck, however it shakes out for you. (no pun intended).

Mike -- El Paso, Texas.