Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 04-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Arrow Help New California Member buy AEV Out of State

Hi all,

I’m new to the forums and I’m considering the purchase of an AEV jeep conversion with a Hemi. As a California resident, I’m looking at the out of State used market because new Rubicons (stock) go for sticker price around here.

My greatest concern is dealing with the State of California in both Emissions standards and the out of State vehicle purchase process.

From what I can find, I’ll have to buy a vehicle with >7500 miles to be considered used regardless of the year (not a problem). Then I’ll have to pay California Sales Tax, even if I buy out of State.

Per DMV website; Engine Swaps must be CA emission compliant and be of the model year of the vehicle or newer (shouldn’t be a problem, right?).

Now the tricky part: What happens with SMOG, Emissions, CARB, and all the other BS this State makes you deal with? Does anyone here have experience with buying an out of State AEV Hemi and bringing it into CA? What happens when I show up to a SMOG shop and they plug into the ODBII and there is a 6.4 Hemi in there vs the stock 6?

Assuming I jump through all the hoops and end up with an AEV hemi, what are my support options down the line if I get a check engine light or have emissions troubles?

Any help, info, support, links, etc. is greatly appreciated.

TJ

Last edited by trexmgd; 04-06-2017 at 09:44 AM. Reason: post cut off
Unread 04-06-2017, 06:30 PM

CA doesn't like aftermarket hemis in new-ish Jeeps.

Last edited by lucky73; 04-07-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Unread 04-07-2017, 08:00 AM

@lucky73, thanks for the response.

How about the rest of you out there? I know there are some Californians in the community - tell me your story!
Unread 04-07-2017, 12:33 PM

California's motto should be "The No Fun State". Having purchased two Jeeps outside of the state, I can tell you that they will charge you an exorbitant out of state registration fee. If you didn't pay a sales tax in the state that you purchase your Jeep, then California will charge you a sales tax at their rate. It might pay you to research states with a low sales tax rate and look for your Jeep there. You will also have to get any out of state vehicle re-smogged in California. This applies even if the vehicle you are bringing in was just smogged. As far as getting a hemi equipped Jeep registered in California, you could always check with one of the aftermarket shops that do hemi installs. It's not impossible to get approved, but you do have to jump through a few extra hoops. I know that Quinn at All-J-Products has done a few AEV hemi conversions. You might want to give him a call: (909) 866-4800

"The only thing legal in California is illegals"

Last edited by Rexjc; 04-07-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Unread 04-08-2017, 09:17 AM

Default CA tax issues

CA treats any vehicle registered to you out of State under 1 year as essentially newly purchased. You are on the hook for CA tax. If you paid another State vehicle related sales tax at the time of purchase, CA may credit you that portion of the full CA tax liability, but you will still be on the hook for the CA balance. Check the City you live in for the tax rate.

In other words...buy a $50K vehicle in Trumpsylvania, pay 5 % State sales tax or $2500. Drive over the border to CA to your beautiful home in Chula Vista where the sales tax is 10%. You owe CA another $2500.

Hope that helps.
Unread 04-08-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
CA treats any vehicle registered to you out of State under 1 year as essentially newly purchased. You are on the hook for CA tax. If you paid another State vehicle related sales tax at the time of purchase, CA may credit you that portion of the full CA tax liability, but you will still be on the hook for the CA balance. Check the City you live in for the tax rate.

In other words...buy a $50K vehicle in Trumpsylvania, pay 5 % State sales tax or $2500. Drive over the border to CA to your beautiful home in Chula Vista where the sales tax is 10%. You owe CA another $2500.

Hope that helps.
Another California tax issue that ticks off is that when you go to buy a new cell phone, they charge tax on the suggested retail price and not on the actual sale price. Purchase a $350 phone with a MSRP of $700 and you'll be paying $70 in sales tax rather than $35. It's a beautiful place to visit, but it's asta la vista after I retire.
Unread 04-08-2017, 02:58 PM

Dammit Rex, I was just getting ready move out there to be close to you . Now you're talking about leaving!
Unread 04-08-2017, 07:31 PM

Doesn't Todd at Jeep Speed Shop offer "California" emissions HEMI's?

Ben
2007 5.7L HEMI Sahara Unlimited - Sold
2010 6.1L HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
2011 6.4L (392) HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
2002 4.0L AEV Brute - Sold
2003 6.4L "Stroker" HEMI AEV Brute - Sold
2005 4.0L SC AEV K9 Brute
2014 345 HEMI Rubicon Xpo Adventurer
2000 4.0L AEV 112 Long Wheelbase
2006 4.0L AEV Brute Rubicon
Unread 04-09-2017, 06:01 AM

Default exactly

Love CA...just spent 30 years of my life there, incomparable place. But just retired to PA. If youre not fully funded for it you better be able to grow your own food!
Unread 04-10-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
Love CA...just spent 30 years of my life there, incomparable place. But just retired to PA. If youre not fully funded for it you better be able to grow your own food!
too funny so true

Tags
california, emissions, smog