Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 04-11-2017, 07:42 PM

Default AEV tire carrier for JEEPS - THE PERFECT SHOVEL.

Howdy Brother JEEPers. I am Mike-O, a retired soldier in El Paso Texas. I am one of those people who demands good gear, and I am sometimes downright anal about perfection. No, she has not divorced me - YET. Heck, for my birthday she bought me a JKU-R Hard Rock, She's a keeper for sure.

For days I went from store to store, looking for the perfect shovel for the AEV tire carrier I installed. I felt like a combination of Goldilocks and Ground Hog Day. This one is too flat. This one is too curved. This one is too long, this one is too short, this one is too fat...... store after store. I took the best prospects out to the parking lot for a test. I went back to Lowe's 3 times, the guy in the garden center remembered my name.....

While we were getting chicken supplies out in one of the rural hardware stores for my wife's chickens, they had the golden shovel. This thing is a BRUTE! I cannot imadine damaging it, but if I do so what? It has a lifetime warrantee. When you grab one, you will understand. The one downfall, it is heavy. Here are a couple of photos:

Here is a URL: https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Long-...dp/B000B6Q6BA/

NOTE: The handle is steel, not wood or fiberglass. I had to remove the yellow rubber cap on the handle and saw off about 4 inches. There is a black plastic cap under the rubber, so be sure to clean up your cut and glue in the black end-cap when you are done.

I hope some of you find this useful.

Mike-O -- El Paso, Texas. [Home of Fort Bliss].

Last edited by Mike; 04-12-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Unread 04-11-2017, 08:32 PM

Thanks. I too was looking for the perfect shovel. Now I have found it. I just bought it from your link. Thanks again for sharing this.
Unread 04-11-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition ready View Post
Thanks. I too was looking for the perfect shovel. Now I have found it. I just bought it from your link. Thanks again for sharing this.
When it arrives, get a friend to help you. One grips the shovel, the other uses the fingertips to attempt to "roll" the rubber end cap off. Once pressure is applied and some air gets under it, it will slip off with a little force.

There is a fitted black plastic cap in the end of the shovel. Remove that and save it.

Using whatever metal cutter you prefer (I am good with a hacksaw), cut about 3 - 4 inches off the handle. Then dress is up with a flat file, and check it for length. When satisfied it is short enough, using the glue of your choice, re-install the black plastic end cap. Then fit it into your carrier like I did. Once the bend in the handle contacts the tire, wiggle is a bit as you push it further in. Check to be sure that you cut enough of the end off. When seated, it isn't coming loose on its own. Good luck, enjoy.

Mike-O -- El Paso, TX.
Unread 04-12-2017, 10:45 AM

can you post a picture of where the shovel handle contacts the tire carrier opposite the head of the shovel down near the spindle? Just want to get a visual reference for how much you cut off. Thanks
Unread 04-13-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apdski View Post
can you post a picture of where the shovel handle contacts the tire carrier opposite the head of the shovel down near the spindle? Just want to get a visual reference for how much you cut off. Thanks
I cut off 4 inches - it does not contact. I could have cut off less, but I am a short guy and didn't need every inch on the handle.

Mike.
Unread 04-14-2017, 06:07 PM

Default AEV tire carrier for JEEPS - THE PERFECT SHOVEL.

Definitely appreciate this post, however, I just wanna add my 2 cense. So why not just buy a Military Issue E-Tool and use the shovel spot on the tire carrier for something else? The old fashioned entrenching tool. I can tell you from experience with the right motivation you can dig anything that you could with a regular shovel. I've assisted and witnessed an underground fortress be constructed by 6 guys with these. These things also have a sharpened and serrated edge that is pretty useful for chopping and sawing. I've cut very large trees with them. They're light weight, compact, utilitarian and very durable. Can even be used as a toilet seat in a pinch! I understand the use of a longer handle and having a saw, an axe and an outdoor toilet but why when you can have only one item. Just food for thought. Here's a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Orig.../dp/B004SOPJG4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Brandon Snyder; 04-14-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Unread 04-19-2017, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Snyder View Post
Definitely appreciate this post, however, I just wanna add my 2 cense. So why not just buy a Military Issue E-Tool and use the shovel spot on the tire carrier for something else?
Indeed - why not? If the E-tool cranks your tractor, who are we to stop you?

Tags
shovel