Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Brute and Brute Double Cab Pickup Discussion

Unread 09-26-2009, 05:00 AM

Default Campers and the Brute

Hey all!
I have been eyeing the brute for awhile now, and I even have the Mrs convinced that this might be a good idea for our 97 TJ.
The only thing that might be a deal breaker is the option of a camper for the flat bed. Anyone know of a camper that might fit in the brute?

Thanks.

~GR
Unread 09-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Administrator

This has been an idea floating around for a while. I had a fold out ARB tent on my Brute for a while, its nice, but when your out for days and its raining, its nice to have a place thats dry to stand up and move about in a bit. I saw a camper conversion Brute in Moab this year, but haven't been able to track down any info on it, I just caught a glimpse.

Heres what I know:
  • The guys at Four Wheel Campers think they have one for a Toyota that would fit with a few mods in the standard Brute Bed. I'm guessing they think the Falcon or Finch Models. http://www.fourwheelcampers.com/products.htm

• Adventure Trailers can build a camping box like one of their trailers that bolts on instead of the bed and then a roof top tent can be used. Advantage here would be no need to buy the Brute Bed which quite frankly is the most exspensve part of the kit, without the bed, I think the kit is somewhere in the 5500 range (not sure about that, but its close I think)

• I've been thinking about building my own "camper module". At first I was thinking I would build it like some of the Aussie trailers where the "roof" of the trailer swings out and down 180 to make the "floor" and pops up a big tent. http://www.tracktrailer.com.au/ But the more I think about my usage, there is normally a lot of water and or snow around and its just too difficult to deal with drying a tent out after every usage...
  • The more I think about my uses though, the more I like what this guy did with this really well done Toyota and the Alaskan style (http://www.alaskancamper.com/akcmpr.htm) camper telescoping box. This would be pretty easy to build and the Brute would be set up well for it with a 4.0 or a 5.7. I've always like the Alaskan campers, the Brutes raised center portion of the roof would work well for headroom in this case also.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1604519.jpg
Views:	2697
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	920

Name:	1604517.jpg
Views:	6297
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	921

dh
Unread 09-26-2009, 03:15 PM

I'm planning on using a tray. Guys in AUS make campers that sit on top, and they can be removed for hauling stuff in the bed.

Unread 09-26-2009, 03:16 PM

Unread 09-27-2009, 06:46 AM

Those are some neat ideas.

My problem is I bought a Brute for hard-core wheelin' as well as campin' so the thought of gettin' the side of a camper into trees or rocks is not acceptable.

Therefore, I'm building a rollcage for the bed with an ARB Simpson III RTT inserted to protect it from harm. When folded away, the top of the tent will be cab high and surrounded by bars.

Then have CampaUSA build a unit to fit into the bed with shower, kitchen, storage, etc.

Should be interestin', I'll start a build-up thread once I take delivery of the Brute in a month or so.
Unread 09-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Administrator

I had a Simpson tent on my Brute rack for a while, it was a bit of an afterthought, and was too high...even with the HEMI, it could be felt. Plus those tents are heavy. If I had it to do over, I would definitely do what you're talking about, with a lower rack so that the top of the folded tent is even with the top of the roof, that should give plenty of room underneath, the ladder will be tall enough, and you won''t have the stability and aero concerns I had. Only downfall I had with the Simpson tent is the Zippers seem to not be that good, although I hear they improved that recently and the basic constraints of a roof top tent (wet weather and cleanup and no good place to hang out.)

Name:	Lochsa May Trip 032s.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	922

I am going to be running a tray on my next Brute as well, but because of the height issues, I think I'll be looking into a three point mounting system like a Unimog and have a modular camper and tray, instead of the camper sitting on the tray. This way I can have a lower floor than what the tray would provide. At the end of the day there are a million ways to do it. I'll be building mine with a 124.9" wheelbase to get a bigger tray and be able to put an 8' long camper module on it with the right proportions.

Name:	Brute Camper1.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	923

I hadnt seen the Highrise camper before, that looks like a nice package. I've trying to figure a way to get a "slider" in a telescoping shell, they have one way to do it.

dh
Unread 09-27-2009, 03:33 PM

If you want to use the stock Brute bed, a setup like this could be nice.

Unread 09-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Administrator

That 130s been around for a while, its such a sweet truck. I'm gonna do what I can on mine to get rid of any fabric.

dh
Unread 09-27-2009, 07:15 PM

I don't like the fabric either, but that camper would probably fit in a Brute bed.

Off topic, but this is a pretty sweet preBrute that has decent looking proportions.

Unread 09-28-2009, 12:56 AM

@ AEV Dave-

Those four wheeler campers look pretty sweet. I didn't see any that looked like they would fit quite right. Like you mentioned, the Falcon model looks close. So does the Finch. The real nice part though is the camper shells they have available.

@Rus-

Is FIS the brand on those campers? Also, do you happen to know of a web site for the camper's manufacturer? I am curious to know more about the fabric that is being used on those campers.

Thanks for all the great responses I am seeing here.
~G.R.