Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > J8 MILSPEC Vehicles

Unread 11-20-2011, 09:11 PM

Default Picking up my J8

to the AEV crew,

i'm picking up my J8 in a few months..

was wondering if the bumpers would fit on it given that the frame and body are a little different!

I can see the front going in without a problem! but the rear bumper with leaf spring mounts and cross member?

any lift solutions for added ground clearance?

Thanks!

Luai
Unread 01-15-2012, 03:28 PM

Default the mysterious j8

I have been stalking...not in the usual casual way, but more in the creepy, late-at-night way the J8's and info about them. I've sent half a' dozen emails to AEV for more information about having one built, and they have never responded, then I read that Dave says that Chrysler has canceled the deal, but then I see that you say you're getting one in couple months (which leads me to believe that they are being built as AEV claims 6mos build time). So I decided to come out of the dark and join the forum.

Are you really getting one, and do you have any idea why it has been so hard to get AEV to respond????
Unread 01-15-2012, 03:59 PM

AEV has cancelled their program. This gentlemen has stated in another thread that his is coming from some where else.....most likely another country.
Unread 01-21-2012, 07:10 PM

thanks for the reply. The "I want a diesel wrangler" crowd could possibly be the most patient group of people ever.
Unread 01-22-2012, 12:51 AM

Sergio Marchionne said at the NAIAS, (Detroit Auto Show) that the Wrangler could get a diesel in the US "soon".
Most likely that means after the 2014/2015 refresh, those of us who have heard these rumors, since 1999, will not be holding our breaths.
Crate Hemi's get more attractive every day.
Unread 01-22-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander View Post
Are you really getting one, and do you have any idea why it has been so hard to get AEV to respond????
AEV has not responded because they were in turn, kept in the dark by Chrysler.
In Chrysler's defense, they are a little busy these days, trying to jump start a company. The Wrangler assembly plant was designed for 150,000 units per year, so far this year has seen over 165,000 Wranglers roll out the door.
Wrangler (and J8) construction is severely impacted by the antiquated and Supplier operated facility, parts shortages and maybe just a little inattentiveness on the part of the Jeep CEO, who is also in charge of International Sales, for the entire Chrysler/Fiat operation.
Plus,... he is not a Jeeper and he was caught off guard by the demand for Wranglers and he is very busy turning all of the other Jeep products into neutered CUV's.
Unread 01-25-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparNorm View Post
... The Wrangler assembly plant was designed for 150,000 units per year, so far this year has seen over 165,000 Wranglers roll out the door.
huh? did you mean last year they pushed out 165,000 Wranglers in plant that was designed for only 150,000 units per year? ... we're not even to the end of January for this year

I don't get why Fiat is not ready to deal with success ... the Jeep brand and the Wrangler in particular is one of the greatest assets Fiat acquired in the deal ... increased production and sales of these Wranglers should be their primary focus
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:09 AM

They are working on it, they need to expand the plant clearly. I think that's whats happening next.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/16/c...-heavy-demand/
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Baja Yellow
Dual Sport 106
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglide View Post
huh? did you mean last year they pushed out 165,000 Wranglers in plant that was designed for only 150,000 units per year? ... we're not even to the end of January for this year
Sorry, I still write 2011 until about Feb...
Calendar year 2011 saw 165,000 +/- Wranglers built. That's about 13,700 per month, however some months saw 24,000 in dealer orders, so the crunch is on.
It's not a simple task to enlarge the facility. Permiting can take years, the plant is supplied and operated by Suppliers, (hence the term, Toledo Supplier Park) so getting a sign off from each supplier to return the plant to Jeep takes time and much negotiation. That being said, the Fiat managers and the Brit CEO of Jeep, may have seriously misjudged Wrangler's appeal to Americans.
While they focused on turning the rest of the Jeep lineup into cars, the one vehicle that sustained not only Jeep, but all of Chrysler itself, was seriously neglected.
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:18 AM

Just think of all the problems they would cause themselves if they made a Jeep pick-up and put diesels in Wranglers ...