Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 08-16-2013, 05:55 PM

Default FNJP Build

AEV has my 2014 Rubicon JKU and is scheduled for the Full Monty. This is my second JKU but this time it will be a simpler, easier to work on when broken on the trail version. My 2008 JK was fitted with a 5.7 Hemi, Rock Jock 60's, 37's, Teraflex 4-12", Atlas, plus a bunch of other goodies. It was a fantastic performer but unfortunately it broke on every trip so I am hoping by keeping the stock engine and drivetrain, and built by better mechanics I will have better luck.

FYI - I ordered the JK through AEV's recommended local Jeep dealer Szott M-59 Chrysler Jeep and they offered a great deal. It was ordered June 28, built mid July and was delivered to them on August 1st.

Once it is delivered to me here in Illinois it will get more add ons. Several trips are planned beside the annual pilgrimage to Moab and the San Juan's. I am planning on the Trans Lab, Prudhoe Bay Alaska, Inuvik Canada, Cabo San Lucas Baja to name a few.

I will post pictures and info here as the build progresses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	7710

www.jeepingoffroad.com & www.facebook.com/jeepingoffroad

www.jeepingoffroad.com

https://www.facebook.com/Jeepingoffroad

Last edited by Graham McNeill; 08-16-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Photo not appearing
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:55 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Brit View Post
AEV has my 2014 Rubicon JKU and is scheduled for the Full Monty. This is my second JKU but this time it will be a simpler, easier to work on when broken on the trail version. My 2008 JK was fitted with a 5.7 Hemi, Rock Jock 60's, 37's, Teraflex 4-12", Atlas, plus a bunch of other goodies. It was a fantastic performer but unfortunately it broke on every trip so I am hoping by keeping the stock engine and drivetrain, and built by better mechanics I will have better luck.

FYI - I ordered the JK through AEV's recommended local Jeep dealer Szott M-59 Chrysler Jeep and they offered a great deal. It was ordered June 28, built mid July and was delivered to them on August 1st.

Once it is delivered to me here in Illinois it will get more add ons. Several trips are planned beside the annual pilgrimage to Moab and the San Juan's. I am planning on the Trans Lab, Prudhoe Bay Alaska, Inuvik Canada, Cabo San Lucas Baja to name a few.

I will post pictures and info here as the build progresses.

Attachment 7710

www.jeepingoffroad.com & www.facebook.com/jeepingoffroad
That Jeep didn't sound like one that would break very often? You had all the best parts on it. Out of curiosity what gave you the most trouble?

My Jeep. 2014 JKU, 6.4L Hemi AEV kit, 2.5" AEV lift, 35" Duratrac's. Gen Right aluminum bumpers, Warn VR 8000 winch. Pro Rock 44.
Unread 08-17-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatech View Post
That Jeep didn't sound like one that would break very often? You had all the best parts on it. Out of curiosity what gave you the most trouble?
The first Atlas had messed up gears and made such a noise you couldn’t hear yourself think plus it became exceedingly difficult to shift. It was replaced by a 4 speed Atlas but the planetary gear broke at the top of Moab Rim and I had to come down in neutral. I replaced that with a stock Rubicon transfer case that worked perfectly. The PSC power Steering failed on the Golden Spike in a snow storm. PSC told me they were not designed for rock crawling which is a load of crap. The fix was to hit it with a hammer and amazingly that worked but unfortunately I had to get back to Moab with no power steering. A power steering hydraulic line ruptured in the Mojave Desert because of poor placement by the builder. The rear Fox shocks fell off on Behind the Rocks Trail because the builder didn’t tighten them. The check engine light was always on. The Rock Jock 60 rear axle developed a seal leak. This was not an easy fix over the July 4th weekend plus getting parts from Currie was not easy either. The coil over front suspension came apart coming out of Lake City, Colorado after doing Engineer Pass Trail. I chose to install a 5.7 Hemi because I lost a cylinder in the 3.8, again on another trip up Moab Rim.

Apart from that the Jeep was a ton of fun although I am sure it spent more time on trailers, on the back of tow trucks and in repair shops than on the trail. I put about 17,000 miles on it before selling it for a very low price.

www.jeepingoffroad.com

Last edited by Graham McNeill; 08-17-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: text incomplete
Unread 08-17-2013, 04:00 PM

Ouch! Wow, I hope you have better fortune with the new Rubicon. It looks like a great vehicle. I'm sure AEV will do a great job on it! What are you having them add?

I'm having fun with my new '13 MOAB. It's not as capable as the Rubicon but I'm not driving it to Alaska. I will add a lot more AEV parts though.
2013 Jeep JK Wrangler Sahara 'MOAB' Edition, black, black hardtop, 3.6L Pentastar, 5-speed WA5A580 auto/manual, rear Trak-Loc, Hill Decent, ESC, PS, PW, PL, heated leather seats, UConnect, AEV bumpers, AEV hood, AEV skid plate, AEV snorkel, AEV mud flaps and floor mats, black Hardrock wheels, BFG 255/75-17 Rubicon tires, 4-door Rubicon suspension, MOPAR rock sliders, Tepui RTT, Gobi roof rack, Off-Road Elements limb risers, Warn driving lights, Goal Zero 15watt solar panel and battery charger.

Last edited by SamM; 08-17-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:50 PM

That sucks. This one will be built right.

My Jeep. 2014 JKU, 6.4L Hemi AEV kit, 2.5" AEV lift, 35" Duratrac's. Gen Right aluminum bumpers, Warn VR 8000 winch. Pro Rock 44.
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
Ouch! Wow, I hope you have better fortune with the new Rubicon. It looks like a great vehicle. I'm sure AEV will do a great job on it! What are you having them add?

I'm having fun with my new '13 MOAB. It's not as capable as the Rubicon but I'm not driving it to Alaska. I will add a lot more AEV parts though.
I purchased the JK350 package with the Warn 9.5ctis with synthetic winch line, IPF Off Road Lights upgraded with the HID bulbs. I upgraded to the Dual Sport RS suspension and chose the Savegre wheels in Argent. I added the IPF backup light but opted to not use their switch as I think it is ugly and will be installing the SPOD and Source package later. Splash Guards, Rear Corner Guards, Rear diff Slider, Fuel Caddy, Hi-Lift/Pull Pall Mount, Painted Hardtop interior and a Back-up camera complete the list.

I will add an sPod and Source system, under hood ARB compressor with Synergy ARB mounting bracket, Tuffy under seat security drawer, JW Speaker Headlights and Fog lights, Uniden 510 CB radio with Firestick antennae and River Raider Breather Hose Extension kit. I will upgrade the front axle shaft housings and will probably go with a dual battery set up also.

I am not going to bother with a roll cage, additional rock sliders or under armor skid plates this time to save weight. I think the factory skid plates and rocker sliders are more than adequate. I went with the corner guards for aesthetic reasons even though they add weight. One thing I learned from the last JK was they are heavy beasts to start with and you can very easily build a 6,500lb plus monster that is hard to stop. The brakes even with a Teraflex Big Brake kit were terrible with 37” tires and all that weight and was down and out dangerous on a lot of trails. I have 35’s on my LJ and the brakes are fantastic so it will be a wait and see with the 35’s before I decide to upgrade again.

www.jeepingoffroad.com

Last edited by Graham McNeill; 08-17-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: incomplete text uploaded
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:34 AM

You will have to get used to winding up this engine to get power out of it unlike the Hemi. The only thing I dislike about our 2 door is the power. Someday I will change that!! With winch,bumpers & tires plus carrier I gained 300 lbs. That puts 2door at 4500 lbs.

Unread 10-29-2013, 11:56 AM

This post is about a month overdue but better late than never.

AEV called to say the finished JK would be delivered the next day between 7 and 8 pm if I could accept an evening delivery. The JK arrived safe and sound via transport at 7:30 pm as scheduled. The JK was spotless and all the work looked perfect.

The JK was ordered through Zscott Chrysler Jeep and 47 days later it was in the hands of AEV. They took 34 days to modify and deliver the finished product to me.

I had to go check it out so went for coffee at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in Washington DC. From there it was back to Chicago via the Shenandoah National Park, The Blue Ridge Parkway and The Great Smoky National Park.

Vehicle report as follows:

2,028 miles in 4 days, average 16.8 mpg. (City driving is 12.6 mpg)

Ride: Yes, it is as good as stock provided you are in a straight line on a smooth road. Holding 75-80 mph was easy on the several hundred straight, flat road miles on a windless highway. Handling is a different story!! Compared to my last JK with a Teraflex 4-1/2" suspension with 37" BFG MTs it was far, far better, but hitting road ruts on a curve in the mountains the suspension was as sloppy as a French hooker on Bastille Day. This is a vehicle that needs to be driven every second you are behind the wheel when on busy, winding highways, keeping up with traffic and passing semis. It is aerodynamic as a building although having said that there are several buildings I know of that have a more efficient wind coefficient. The ride comfort is night and day different compared to my 2008 JK. The 2014 is a vast improvement.

Driving the very smooth roads of the Blue Ridge Parkway with its thousands of curves and hair pin bends was fantastic. The JK handled as well as the video showed on the race track. The Parkway in a past year had 450 accidents but after installing very effective signs this was reduced to 250 accidents per year. The Parkway is the most visited park in the USA but fortunately it was a very quite week allowing me to maintain a very good average speed for the entire 469 miles but now I have arms like Popeye the sailer man.

The interior noise level is about the same as the 08 but the Hemi did have a nice sound to it. I will install Hothead Headliners before the next trip so the noise level should be greatly reduced.

The brakes are absolute crap and worst I have ever experienced in a new vehicle. They are better than my old JK with a big brake kit but I also have smaller tires now. MY LJ has far better brakes. In fact I did not break a sweat on Black Bear Pass in the LJ but I would hesitate to take this JK on it. They are adequate for most street driving but it doesn't take a lot to push the pedal to the floor which will mean low range first will over power the brakes when you are about to go down obstacles like Nose Dive on Behind The Rocks Trail in Moab.

The new V6 is far, far better than the old 3.8. It doesn't compare to a 5.7 Hemi but the new engine did very well in the Appalachians. I will have to wait and see how it does in the Rockies but for now I am looking for absolute reliability so will keep as much stock as possible.

My next test run is around Lake Superior in a couple of weeks. It is my intention to work out all the bugs before embarking on my Arctic Oceans driveabouts.

www.jeepingoffroad.com

Unread 10-29-2013, 12:40 PM

I need your vacations

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:12 PM

Did I miss the pictures?