Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 02-14-2017, 02:54 PM

Default intro and questions

been lurking since the summer but thought i would say hi and drop a few gratuitous pics of my 2017 mega cab offroad/sport, that I've been working on for a few months, and also ask some questions....

AEV dualsport, bumper and dif covers, 4.10 gears, diamondback cover, front/rear ARB lockers, ham radio (ICOM 7000).

put 3000 mi on it (including a 2500 mi trip) since the upgrades and am super happy with everything. no roar from the tires and I got 16.1 mpg averaging 74 mph across 600 miles of I-40, so I can't complain too much about that.

Unread 02-14-2017, 03:00 PM

so I guess my first question is how to resize pics on this forum? I was hoping they would auto scale and the [resize] tag doesn't work.

on to my real questions... I have a full size spare tire with same katla wheel that is currently taking up most of my bed space. hoping to get some suggestions from you guys on where to get a roof rack that is sturdy, quiet and won't cause leaks.

i was hoping to do a rear bumper with tire carrier, such as aluminess or AEV (if it ever comes out) but it seems highly likely that any bumper carrier, no matter how well designed, is going to obstruct my rearview, break my park assist sensors and require relocating the rear camera at a minimum. and interfere with my ability to rear load an ATV on the diamondback.

so... anyone have a roof rack tire carrier suggestion that doesn't attach to the bed?
Unread 02-14-2017, 06:05 PM

AEV has been talking about a rear bumper, what details they will have is anyones guess.

Aluminess has one available and ready to buy. As far as the items you mentioned, these are all valid concerns. Not sure what else you can do here except maybe a custom rack just behind the cab to carry the tire.

Like this, but higher up and parallel with the ground - https://www.carid.com/ic/addictive-d...600103-3_6.jpg

See - http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/61481...y-tire-carries (just not so much roof rack)

As far as a roof rack without attaching to the bed, I'm not sure our roofs can handle that kind of weight. You're talking about 120lbs or so with the rack, plus vibration and aerodynamic stress at speed.

Sure it will look cool, but that's little comfort when the steel starts to fracture.

BTW, did you feel the 4.10's were a worthwhile investment?

Last edited by socaladam; 02-14-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Unread 02-14-2017, 06:40 PM

I would look at Nuthouse Industries bedrack options, they have some great extra tire tie down variants. I am planning to add.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nutzo-Tech-2-3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	21530  
AEV differential covers
AEV mudflaps
Vision X lights
Warn 16.5
AMP power steps
Titan aux fuel tank
TruckVault / CargoGlide
Nuthouse Industries custom bedrack
Carli Backcountry suspension

Last edited by jbtx1125; 02-14-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Unread 02-14-2017, 07:07 PM

Nuthouse is a great place to start.

Frontrunner will also make you a custom rack that will hold 600 lbs. You could do something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 02-14-2017, 07:14 PM

Default intro and questions

Frontrunner also makes mounts that will fit your roof and distribute the load without damaging the roof.

Other companies make similar mounts as well.

On a side note, where did you mount the switches to control your lockers and where did you mount the compressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 02-14-2017, 08:44 PM

thanks for the frontrunner lead. i haven't seen them before and i've been googling for months.

i'd love to mount the switches someplace more visible like the mount that aev has, but my ham radio remote head is mounted in that spot. so i used the typical spot:

as for the pump, i have the tiny one for the moment. came free with the lockers. i'll be adding the viair system to it next month i think so i can run tools and inflate the tires. i am planning to mount it where the spare tire was.

if i can figure out the spare tire, i'm planning to put a vault/cargo glide in the bed, and put jacks in the side of the vault

Unread 02-15-2017, 08:39 AM

Liking the M&P. I would recommend against putting the tire on your roof. Center of gravity, aerodynamics, clearance, etc. People do it but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. If you just want something over the cab you are looking at a Chase Rack. Google 'Ram Chase Rack' and you will see what I mean. You are not going to want roof rail mounted roof rack on your truck or a rack that mounts directly to your roof if you are carrying meaningful weight on it. Go with jbtx1125 on the NutHouse Rack or the rear bumper carrier such as the Aluminess unit.
Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Husqvarna TR650 Terra Touratech
Unread 02-15-2017, 08:46 AM

Exactly what NOT to do. People who have Land Rovers love to put tires on their roof. It is just not a good idea. The rack and the mounts just cannot take the shock loading. Rough trails or even a minor accident are enough to cause big problems. I was watching a video of a driver with a setup like this driving and they hit a hidden stump and they came to a sudden stop. At least the vehicle came to a stop. Not so much with the roof rack.

Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200
Unread 02-15-2017, 08:53 AM

If you absolutely need to mount your tire in an alternative location, I would opt for the WOLF option.

Land Rover 110
Unimog U1200