Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 04-05-2010, 04:03 PM

Question AEV Rear w/ GOBI Rack

All,

Has anyone successfully installed an AEV rear bumper with a GOBI rack?

The issue I see is where the GOBI rack mounts to the JK conflicting with how the bumper ties into the frame.

Unread 04-06-2010, 03:19 PM

Default Gobi Roof Rack Issue

I have attempted it. With the standard mounts it does not work. I have been in contact with AEV and GOBI and they have been working together to find a solution. When we get one I will post something here.
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM

This is similar to BajaRack's mount.

The issue is confounded by how much space the AEV tanks take. There is no room for that gusseted bracket to fit even if the shared mounting holes could be managed.

We are modifying the rear rack mount system and I will post up a picture of our solution after this weekend if interested.
Unread 04-07-2010, 05:49 PM

I am very interested in a fix for this. I plan to use the AEV rear bumper and the Gobi rack. I live about an 70 miles from the Gobi shop. Is there anything I can do to help?
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:41 PM

I am also interested in this solution.
Unread 04-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Administrator

SummitJeep, It might be helpful to go there if you're interested and have the rear bumper. We did send them all the CAD data, but it doesn't sound like they have digitized the Jeep data, so I think seeing it in person might help.

The other solution would be to develop a mount using our corner guards to integrate the rack in.

dh
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:12 PM

Dave,

I sent AEV and Gobi a email about 30 mins ago offering my Jeep for fitting. I live about 70 miles from the Gobi shop and have visited before. Hopefully I can help in someway.

Thanks,
John
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Summit Jeep - Based on my correspondence with GOBI they really need to see in person how much space there is between the AEV water tanks and the body of the jeep. Its one thing to see it on a CAD but there is no substitute for seeing in up close and in person.
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the replies all. I look forward to a doable solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV Dave View Post
SummitJeep, It might be helpful to go there if you're interested and have the rear bumper. We did send them all the CAD data, but it doesn't sound like they have digitized the Jeep data, so I think seeing it in person might help.

The other solution would be to develop a mount using our corner guards to integrate the rack in.

dh
Thanks for the reply Dave. I think the simplest solution would be to integrate the bracket into the AEV bumper. The only thing GOBI can do is make a variation of the existing bracket. Seems redundant to me. The GOBI bracket could be an extension of the bumper where the tube mounts to the frame. This would resolve the GOBI support issue without creating any alignment issues for the AEV bumper. Win-Win. I am ready to buy the bumper, but I need the GOBI rack for my roof-top tent, and I am not the type of guy to go cutting supports to make something fit. I would be happy to serve as a guinea pig for this if you would like to give it a try.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by Aurelius; 04-12-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:14 PM

Any update on this?