Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Brute and Brute Double Cab Pickup Discussion

Unread 02-13-2017, 08:49 AM

Default Brute question.

I've been building a brute for a while now, but have been side tracked for some time.
My question is about the body lines for the cab and bed. It's says you need to shim the cab to get the body's lines to meet but one side is pretty far off, is this normal. The cab seems to be sitting a little lower on one side then the other.
Driver side
Passenger side

Any input would be great, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 02-13-2017, 12:19 PM

shimming to perfection is normal. you can look from behind and line up rear tailgate with cab's lines and then cross check with tilt as in your pix too. perfecting the door closure is a nice touch too.
Unread 02-13-2017, 01:07 PM

A Tram gauge and level will help dial it in to. Also, check to see that the body mount bushings are stacked the same way on each side and torqued down the same amount. Off topic but I used GM fender shims on my hot rod.

Mike
Unread 02-13-2017, 01:18 PM

It just seem like a big difference on that one side, so I wasn't sure If that big of a difference was normal or not. I have some big washers from another project I can use. Thanks for the help.

Unread 02-13-2017, 02:33 PM

So I added some shims but this is almost 1.5 inches on one side, seems to be a bit much.

Unread 02-14-2017, 11:02 AM

Id rather see some body lift pucks under that than the washers. I have no idea what goes into building one of these.
Unread 02-14-2017, 12:03 PM

That is to many washers for my liking. I would go with a body lift to close the gap or machine a spacer.
Unread 02-14-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSRMike View Post
That is to many washers for my liking. I would go with a body lift to close the gap or machine a spacer.

Well it's only like this on the drivers side and it's just in mock stage at the moment, just what I had laying around to see what's needed.

My fear is it's like this because the frame is twisted some how from when I put it back together.

Unread 02-14-2017, 09:45 PM

Silent one,

I too have had the same deal prop up on my brute build. Just a bit lower on the drivers side. I used washers to space it out and get measurements, then just sliced up a 1" aluminum spacer to get the perfect fit (mine was about 3/8" out). Picked up a cheap aluminum spacer lift on Craigslist. I've seen body lifts spacers all the way to 3" (yikes!). You can always cut off the steel body mount and weld higher on the frame as well.

Also if you have the spare cash pick up a new set of body mounts and bolts as the old ones may have smashed a little compared to the new ones you received with the kit. Fairly inexpensive but certainly a good upgrade.

As mentioned previously, torque the tallest part of the build first,(appears to be the bed in your case) square and level. Then work to bring the lowest part of the build up to match. Remember, those are old frames we are working with. Doesn't take much to bend them just a little and then see it as the frame gets longer with the kit. Good luck!!

TJ