Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Brute and Brute Double Cab Pickup Discussion

Unread 06-11-2016, 03:59 PM

Default Brute DC driver door removal question

Any advice on how this wire connector comes apart? Specifically the red clip that's holding the purple wire. I'm trying to take the doors off and don't want to break this connector. Doesn't seem to easily pull apart like the one on the passenger side. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	19027  
Unread 06-11-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_blessing View Post
Any advice on how this wire connector comes apart? Specifically the red clip that's holding the purple wire. I'm trying to take the doors off and don't want to break this connector. Doesn't seem to easily pull apart like the one on the passenger side. Thanks.
It looks like a female spade connector (light blue piece) that is attached to a wire tap (red piece). I do not own a BDC, but it reminds me of the connector used by the IPF back-up light kit. Anyway, the blue connector should simply slide off of the male spade on the wire tap. Was there a similar connector on the opposite side of the vehicle? If so, I would mimic the removal process with this connector and avoid opening up the wire tap if at all possible.
Unread 06-11-2016, 08:04 PM

Ranger, thanks for the reply. The connector on the passenger's side is different and easily pulled apart. I gave the driver's side connector another try given your feedback but it doesn't seem to want to pull apart. Worried about breaking it and my local Jeep AEV dealer is terrible so don't want to have to deal with them if in screw it up.
Unread 06-11-2016, 08:23 PM

Thumbs up

Actually I gave it one more try out of sheer frustration and you are right Ranger. It did pull apart.
Unread 06-13-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Actually I gave it one more try out of sheer frustration and you are right Ranger. It did pull apart.
No problem. Glad to help.

When you reinstall the doors, pick up a tube of dielectric/bulb grease. Coat the spade connector with thin coat of grease. I would recommend using a q-tip to apply the grease. Then mate the female and male connectors. The grease will seal out moisture and prevent corrosion. I would bet a small amount of moisture entered the connector and corroded the metal surfaces. This corrosion created a bond that made the separation of both parts difficult.
Unread 07-19-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:

This was not done by AEV. Did you have an aftermarket alarm installed?