Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > American Expedition Vehicles > COUNTERFEIT AEV PRODUCT WARNINGS

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Unread 11-23-2015, 08:44 AM
JeepinJon's Avatar
JeepinJon JeepinJon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 3,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
Methinks that perhaps a few were a bit too quick in calling the kettle black......
The AEV bumper was out prior to the ARB bumper, so that example is actually in reverse. AEV showed their bumper at SEMA 2006, ARB showed theres at SEMA 2007, or EJS 2007.

When it comes to wheels there are only so many ways you can do a classic 5 spoke design and make it different, but in fairness AEV has openly stated in the past that they were influenced by European sports cars.

Unfortunately like all good designs they will be stolen and reproduced by others to either increase compatibility (this gas can), or to decrease price (all of the knock off snorkels) without consideration for the original designer, or knowing the reasoning behind featerus that might be there for performance benefits, or safety features.

With most tire carriers the tire has to snug up against the carrier to remove vibrations to reduce strain on the carrier. On this particular gas can I am not sure how (or if) this would work.
__________________
Jon

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 11-24-2015, 06:46 AM
Ward's Avatar
Ward Ward is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 173
Default

But AEV doesn't make parts for Lamborghini's. AEV can make products look similar to Lambo but they don't take any dollars away from Lamborghini. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery unless it takes money out of my pocket. I think AEV is right to be disappointed with the choice of the other supplier.
Ward

Last edited by Ward; 11-24-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 11-24-2015, 10:22 AM
AEV Dave's Avatar
AEV Dave AEV Dave is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 2,765
Default

The original wheel logos were yellow because I was hand pouring them at the time, couldn't afford to pay for tooling. All the epoxies I could find at the time (20 years ago) turned yellow in the sun, so by making them yellow...problem solved.

Yep, two different animals. Apparently they have bulls in the streets in Italy, we have Bison in Montana.

The ARB bumper looks like a low res pixelated version of the AEV and as mentioned came out a year after. To that extent, there are only so many ways to skin a cat after placing all the critical components where they need to go, so I don't consider the ARB a copy.

The AEV tire carrier was out years before Warns too. In fact they ended up changing a bunch of details at our request.

dh
__________________
2015 Ram 3500 Cab Chassis SRW
2009 Brute DoubleCab 5.7VVT Supercharged, 37s
2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2013 KTM 450XC-W
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Unread 11-24-2015, 11:36 AM
kmrtnsn's Avatar
kmrtnsn kmrtnsn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ventura
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
But AEV doesn't make parts for Lamborghini's. AEV can make products look similar to Lambo but they don't take any dollars away from Lamborghini. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery unless it takes money out of my pocket. I think AEV is right to be disappointed with the choice of the other supplier.
Ward
The AEV Fuel Cady fits only the AEV Tire Carrier. Explain to me how a universal fit product is taking sales from a unit designed for a single, unique application? You do realize that it costs MORE than the AEV Carrier, right? The other "similar" design (derivative to be sure) , by comparison can fit any rear mounted Jeep application, CJ, YJ, TJ, LJ and likely be adapted to fit and other rear spare mount (Toyota anyone?) with a small amount of modification. I don't see any real difference here to comparing Blitz style fuel cans to "Jerry" cans. They share a size and shape and after that the features are distinct to each

Ask yourself? Is this an original design? Or is it derivative, because I think your argument applies here if it applies at all.

Last edited by kmrtnsn; 11-24-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 11-24-2015, 11:46 AM
kmrtnsn's Avatar
kmrtnsn kmrtnsn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ventura
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV Dave View Post
.....To that extent, there are only so many ways to skin a cat after placing all the critical components where they need to go.............
That is exactly the point I was trying to make.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 11-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Jdemonto's Avatar
Jdemonto Jdemonto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Posts: 2,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
The AEV Fuel Cady fits only the AEV Tire Carrier. Explain to me how a universal fit product is taking sales from a unit designed for a single, unique application? You do realize that it costs MORE than the AEV Carrier, right? The other "similar" design (derivative to be sure) , by comparison can fit any rear mounted Jeep application, CJ, YJ, TJ, LJ and likely be adapted to fit and other rear spare mount (Toyota anyone?) with a small amount of modification. I don't see any real difference here to comparing Blitz style fuel cans to "Jerry" cans. They share a size and shape and after that the features are distinct to each

Ask yourself? Is this an original design? Or is it derivative, because I think your argument applies here if it applies at all.
You sound like the guy that is selling the tanks or copied aev's design.

Jason
__________________
Jason De Monto
Trail Concepts
480-788-7245
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Baja Yellow
Dual Sport 106
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 11-25-2015, 09:29 AM
kmrtnsn's Avatar
kmrtnsn kmrtnsn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ventura
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdemonto View Post
You sound like the guy that is selling the tanks or copied aev's design.

Jason
Boy, that Rugged Ridge Spartacus bumper on that Jeep you're tooting on your website sure looks a lot like another bumper I've seen before............................Put your money where you mouth is.

Last edited by kmrtnsn; 11-27-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 12-10-2015, 12:56 PM
2trackjeeper 2trackjeeper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
Boy, that Rugged Ridge Spartacus bumper on that Jeep you're tooting on your website sure looks a lot like another bumper I've seen before............................Put your money where you mouth is.
Look out everyone one! We have a tough guy know it all hiding behind his key board... Hahahahaha..........
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.