Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > American Expedition Vehicles > COUNTERFEIT AEV PRODUCT WARNINGS

Unread 11-23-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
Methinks that perhaps a few were a bit too quick in calling the kettle black......
The AEV bumper was out prior to the ARB bumper, so that example is actually in reverse. AEV showed their bumper at SEMA 2006, ARB showed theres at SEMA 2007, or EJS 2007.

When it comes to wheels there are only so many ways you can do a classic 5 spoke design and make it different, but in fairness AEV has openly stated in the past that they were influenced by European sports cars.

Unfortunately like all good designs they will be stolen and reproduced by others to either increase compatibility (this gas can), or to decrease price (all of the knock off snorkels) without consideration for the original designer, or knowing the reasoning behind featerus that might be there for performance benefits, or safety features.

With most tire carriers the tire has to snug up against the carrier to remove vibrations to reduce strain on the carrier. On this particular gas can I am not sure how (or if) this would work.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.
Unread 11-24-2015, 06:46 AM

But AEV doesn't make parts for Lamborghini's. AEV can make products look similar to Lambo but they don't take any dollars away from Lamborghini. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery unless it takes money out of my pocket. I think AEV is right to be disappointed with the choice of the other supplier.
Ward

Last edited by Ward; 11-24-2015 at 06:52 AM.
Unread 11-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Administrator

The original wheel logos were yellow because I was hand pouring them at the time, couldn't afford to pay for tooling. All the epoxies I could find at the time (20 years ago) turned yellow in the sun, so by making them yellow...problem solved.

Yep, two different animals. Apparently they have bulls in the streets in Italy, we have Bison in Montana.

The ARB bumper looks like a low res pixelated version of the AEV and as mentioned came out a year after. To that extent, there are only so many ways to skin a cat after placing all the critical components where they need to go, so I don't consider the ARB a copy.

The AEV tire carrier was out years before Warns too. In fact they ended up changing a bunch of details at our request.

dh
2013 KTM 450XC-W
Unread 11-24-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
But AEV doesn't make parts for Lamborghini's. AEV can make products look similar to Lambo but they don't take any dollars away from Lamborghini. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery unless it takes money out of my pocket. I think AEV is right to be disappointed with the choice of the other supplier.
Ward
The AEV Fuel Cady fits only the AEV Tire Carrier. Explain to me how a universal fit product is taking sales from a unit designed for a single, unique application? You do realize that it costs MORE than the AEV Carrier, right? The other "similar" design (derivative to be sure) , by comparison can fit any rear mounted Jeep application, CJ, YJ, TJ, LJ and likely be adapted to fit and other rear spare mount (Toyota anyone?) with a small amount of modification. I don't see any real difference here to comparing Blitz style fuel cans to "Jerry" cans. They share a size and shape and after that the features are distinct to each

Ask yourself? Is this an original design? Or is it derivative, because I think your argument applies here if it applies at all.

Last edited by kmrtnsn; 11-24-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Unread 11-24-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV Dave View Post
.....To that extent, there are only so many ways to skin a cat after placing all the critical components where they need to go.............
That is exactly the point I was trying to make.
Unread 11-25-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
The AEV Fuel Cady fits only the AEV Tire Carrier. Explain to me how a universal fit product is taking sales from a unit designed for a single, unique application? You do realize that it costs MORE than the AEV Carrier, right? The other "similar" design (derivative to be sure) , by comparison can fit any rear mounted Jeep application, CJ, YJ, TJ, LJ and likely be adapted to fit and other rear spare mount (Toyota anyone?) with a small amount of modification. I don't see any real difference here to comparing Blitz style fuel cans to "Jerry" cans. They share a size and shape and after that the features are distinct to each

Ask yourself? Is this an original design? Or is it derivative, because I think your argument applies here if it applies at all.
You sound like the guy that is selling the tanks or copied aev's design.

Jason
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Baja Yellow
Dual Sport 106
Unread 11-25-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdemonto View Post
You sound like the guy that is selling the tanks or copied aev's design.

Jason
Boy, that Rugged Ridge Spartacus bumper on that Jeep you're tooting on your website sure looks a lot like another bumper I've seen before............................Put your money where you mouth is.

Last edited by kmrtnsn; 11-27-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Unread 12-10-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Boy, that Rugged Ridge Spartacus bumper on that Jeep you're tooting on your website sure looks a lot like another bumper I've seen before............................Put your money where you mouth is.
Look out everyone one! We have a tough guy know it all hiding behind his key board... Hahahahaha..........