Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > TJ Wrangler Parts Discussion (1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 07-24-2016, 09:03 AM

Default Cruise Control - Hemi Conversion

My friend owns the AEV converted Hemi LJ in the link below. Recently the cruise control has stopped functioning. The shop working on it has reached out to AEV several times, but has not received a call back.

http://forum.aev-conversions.com/sho...highlight=2005

The Jeep is displaying the code P0585. The possible fixes for this code are replacing the clock spring and replacing the cruise control switches in the steering wheel which both have been done.

The original cruise control setup on a TJ is vacuum operated, but a Hemi is drive-by-wire so it is controlled through the PCM. The thought now is possibly something wrong in the PCM. Everything else seems to be working.

A scan tool doesn't show any response from the throttle position sensor, so technically the Jeep shouldn't even drive, but it does. We obviously don't know much about how the 4.0 to 5.7 Hemi conversion works. The PCM reads that it still is the 4.0 six cylinder engine with no reference to the Hemi.

Any ideas on possible fixes? Any idea on how to get AEV to return phone calls/voicemails?

Thanks for any help.
Unread 07-24-2016, 06:17 PM

friend may want to call Todd at Jeep Speed Shop. I heard hemis in TJ often did not have working cruise control - rare find you have there
Unread 07-24-2016, 06:37 PM

Isn't AEV moving and closed for a few days? I think I read that somewhere here in the forum.
1982 CJ8 Scrambler (Sold)
2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
Unread 07-24-2016, 09:17 PM

AEV posted last week saying they were moving locations and all normal correspondence (phone/email/regular mail/pony express service etc.) would be offline/unavailable until they got set up in their new digs. I believe the 25th is their target date to be up and operational at the new facility.
Unread 07-25-2016, 06:22 AM

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the Dakota/Burnsville swaps didn't get the CC working. I believe the AEV HEMI swaps if equipped with CC do work. Sounds like to me if it worked before then something else has gone wrong with the CC itself. Probably unrelated to the HEMI swap. Just my one cents worth.

Ben
2007 5.7L HEMI Sahara Unlimited - Sold
2010 6.1L HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
2011 6.4L (392) HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
2002 4.0L AEV Brute - Sold
2003 6.4L "Stroker" HEMI AEV Brute - Sold
2005 4.0L SC AEV K9 Brute
2014 345 HEMI Rubicon Xpo Adventurer
2000 4.0L AEV 112 Long Wheelbase
2006 4.0L AEV Brute Rubicon
Unread 07-26-2016, 05:39 AM

I will ask both of them to try reaching out to AEV again since AEV's moving post said they will be back up in operation as of yesterday morning. However, I believe they were contacted well before the move.

I have to admit that I'm just a 3rd party to this and haven't been involved up until now.
Unread 07-26-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hedrick View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the Dakota/Burnsville swaps didn't get the CC working. I believe the AEV HEMI swaps if equipped with CC do work. Sounds like to me if it worked before then something else has gone wrong with the CC itself. Probably unrelated to the HEMI swap. Just my one cents worth.

Ben
I am not sure how AEV makes the TJ CC work with the Hemi. With the 4.0, it is controlled by vacuum and a servo.

Since the Hemi is drive-by-wire, none of that is used. I believe it is all done electronically through the PCM unless there is some type of interface between the switches on the steering wheel and the PCM.

I am not a mechanic so all I have are theories. I'm hoping that AEV will reach out to the shop working on the Jeep or the owner.
Unread 07-27-2016, 05:38 AM

I've always liked that LJ and hoped it would come back up for sale one day. Where is it located?

Pete
Unread 07-27-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteEinMT View Post
I've always liked that LJ and hoped it would come back up for sale one day. Where is it located?

Pete
It's in the Houston, TX area. The current owner has upgraded the axles front and rear to Rockjock 60's.
Unread 07-28-2016, 06:44 AM

Nice upgrade. I also finally found a AEV Hemi LJ (The green Hiline Poster child one) Pro Rocks are in my future.

Pete