Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > American Expedition Vehicles > Expeditions and Back Country Adventures using AEV Products

Unread 08-16-2016, 11:02 AM

I figure with panhead going I could sell tickets just so people could see him in his speedo.
Unread 08-26-2016, 08:28 AM

More to come.
Unread 08-26-2016, 11:35 AM

Have been wondering how your trip went. Now that you've run it, what do you think of the Dusy Ershim trail? How many rocks and trees did Panhead manage to hit? More pictures please. Just leave out the ones of Panhead in a speedo
Unread 08-26-2016, 07:12 PM

I'll get more on, I'm still on the road but when I get home and organized I'll post a bunch. It's a tough ho that's for sure no damage was accrued lucky. I think it is a tougher trail than the Rubicon because you don't catch a break for the full 33 miles. Did not see many rigs in 3 days a few Toyotas camped near us at ershim lake and 4 or 5 jeeps who camped near us at Thompson lake. Met two jeeps coming out who had only went in a short distance and at the end met 3 going in. No tools needed other than my jack to raise up my front end when my wife and Bob spotted me right on a big rock lol. Was like a turtle both claimed they did not see it and it was the size of a very bug. Both ershim and Thompson were definitely not swimming lakes so Bob did not sport the speedo lol
Unread 08-29-2016, 02:01 PM

Last edited by jeffd; 08-29-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Unread 08-30-2016, 11:24 AM

Enjoyed the photos of the Dusy. More pictures please. For the uninitiated, those rock gardens seem to make up about 30 miles of the 33 mile trail. The other three miles is spent squeezing your Jeep between large trees. If the Rubicon is a sprint, then the Dusy Ershim trail is a full marathon. About halfway into the trail, I remember wondering what I had gotten myself into, but by the end, there was a real sense of accomplishment (and relief). You definitely get good at working the locker button on this trail.

What's next on the bucket list?
Unread 08-30-2016, 02:16 PM

Hey Rex -- that analogy is right on . I read on another forum how the Dusy just kept coming at you and never stopped and that's a fair assessment . No one ever mentioned how narrow it was and I did scrape a few trees with my front bumper . I would tell fellow forumites that you can do this with 35's and 2.5- 3.5 in lifts but you are going to work your ass off and be winch ready. I'm also completely unimpressed with the AEV rear bumper (and so is my tailgate ) but that 's another thread .

I'm going to look at possibly a stubby bumper and some other mods to make this more trail friendly although I don't know why , I'll probably never do it again. I may have to look at your Jeep pics and consult donjku . LOL !

Nothing more in my Jeep bucket list --- California is too far away !!
Unread 08-30-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5 View Post
Hey Rex -- that analogy is right on . I read on another forum how the Dusy just kept coming at you and never stopped and that's a fair assessment . No one ever mentioned how narrow it was and I did scrape a few trees with my front bumper . I would tell fellow forumites that you can do this with 35's and 2.5- 3.5 in lifts but you are going to work your ass off and be winch ready. I'm also completely unimpressed with the AEV rear bumper (and so is my tailgate ) but that 's another thread .

I'm going to look at possibly a stubby bumper and some other mods to make this more trail friendly although I don't know why , I'll probably never do it again. I may have to look at your Jeep pics and consult donjku . LOL !

Nothing more in my Jeep bucket list --- California is too far away !!
I remember that trail was tough in the 80's along with the Sierra Trek / Fordyce Creek. Actually a River. Those trails seem to be as popular as the Moab area these days.

My Jeep. 2014 JKU, 6.4L Hemi AEV kit, 2.5" AEV lift, 35" Duratrac's. Gen Right aluminum bumpers, Warn VR 8000 winch. Pro Rock 44.
Unread 08-30-2016, 03:38 PM

Scubie -- I'm coming to live with you and donjku !!!
Unread 08-30-2016, 05:14 PM

I'll get a bunch more photos up when I get to a real computer.
I agree full size bumper was a hiderance for bob. My stubby was much easier to maneuver thru the trees. Also made it easier in the rocks as tire could be maneuvered on rocks easier. Also shrocksworks rear bumper is rock solid and better suited for this kind of trail vs the aev bumper.
As far as bucket list not sure I have knocked Moab several times, did the rubicon and dusy along with the San Juan areas in Colorado so I have had a great two years of jeeping. I'm like a poodle so hard to say what will sway me next. I know my wife said I need to take a break from jeep trips lol. I tend to jump in whole hog when I get involved in something.