Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Brute and Brute Double Cab Pickup Discussion

Unread 11-04-2016, 07:04 AM

Default TJ Brute build - Power plant options?

OK, so I am looking at building a new Brute for me. I've done quite a few power plants in them in the past and now I am looking for some advise and thoughts on something for my next build that I'll probably keep for a long time.

I LOVED my Brute HEMI 392 Stroker build but sometimes I thought that it almost has too much power for a daily driver. But, it was a BLAST to drive. Like a Brute Trophy Truck!

Typically, I am a brand to brand specific guy as in I don't usually like to mix engines and body brand but, the LS engine certainly has some appeal to it. And I've got a huge hookup connection for some serious LS parts with my buddy here in the Daytona area. So we could build a "cool" LS Brute.

Now same as above the brand mixing is the same if I were to do a Cummins diesel or even the VW diesel. Both would be cool, just not totally sold on the diesel for me in a Brute. But, like to hear some thoughts on it.

Now something that we've been "researching" a little lately is a SRT10 RAM Viper engine... I know its been done at least once in a TJ and I've even seen one in Germany that was in a YJ. I do know that it would fit. Cooling could be an issue but we'd have the ability of using the bed for a radiator/fan setup which I believe we could handle the cooling.

So, feel free to chime in but here are a few thoughts on power.
  • HEMI 5.7L:
  • HEMI 6.4L:
  • Mopar 360/401 - Old School style with EFI added:
  • Viper RAM SRT10:
  • Diesel - Cummings or other:
  • Telsa Electric - (not)
  • LS Chevy:
  • 4.0L - Turbo or Supercharger:
  • Other:

Thanks, Ben
2007 5.7L HEMI Sahara Unlimited - Sold
2010 6.1L HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
2011 6.4L (392) HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
2002 4.0L AEV Brute - Sold
2003 6.4L "Stroker" HEMI AEV Brute - Sold
2005 4.0L SC AEV K9 Brute
2014 345 HEMI Rubicon Xpo Adventurer
2000 4.0L AEV 112 Long Wheelbase
2006 4.0L AEV Brute Rubicon

Last edited by Ben Hedrick; 11-04-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Unread 11-05-2016, 08:11 AM

How about a V8 Diesel out of a 79 Series Landcruiser.
Unread 11-05-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
How about a V8 Diesel out of a 79 Series Landcruiser.
Scott Scott Scott, I said that I would "consider" jumping brands but put a Toyata in a Jeep... Come'on man!!!

Ben
Unread 11-05-2016, 02:30 PM

I'm trying to find out more about the forthcoming cummins tj drop in motor. I saw a blurb about it in a SEMA article. It was in one of the Dirt Every Day builds or something. Probably the truck that Fred Williams drove under water. I am dreaming about building one before it gets too hard to find a good donor TJ (without spending the cost of a JK to buy one). It would take a little doing to figure out the axle gearing though, but I should think it would be worth it in the end.

2006 Highline LJ
3" Nth/OME/JKS
37" KM2's
4.88's ARB

2011 Ram 2500
Thuren control arms
Katla's 37" Toyo R/T's

47 CJ2A
Unread 11-05-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPeckham View Post
I'm trying to find out more about the forthcoming cummins tj drop in motor. I saw a blurb about it in a SEMA article.
Yes, I too saw that from SEMA. That is a VERY good option that I will explore heavily. I'd switch brands for that. Need to get some more info and pricing on it. I've got a call into them already.

Ben
Unread 11-05-2016, 10:08 PM

Hey Ben.

It has been done plenty, but the 5.7 is a great "fit" power-wise, especially if you think your 6.4 was a bit much.

I am a really big fan of the turbo set up on a 4.0. Who ever knew they had a rev-limiter? The one we built was a lot of fun, and we will be upgrading it again with the later released intercooler system. The owner of the matte black Brute has been out of town, but I'd expect the install in the next few months.

-Chris Wasnesky

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2006 Rubicon Unlimited
AEV Highline
Nth Degree longarm
Unread 11-06-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewas4x View Post
Hey Ben.

It has been done plenty, but the 5.7 is a great "fit" power-wise, especially if you think your 6.4 was a bit much.

I am a really big fan of the turbo set up on a 4.0. Who ever knew they had a rev-limiter? The one we built was a lot of fun, and we will be upgrading it again with the later released intercooler system. The owner of the matte black Brute has been out of town, but I'd expect the install in the next few months.

-Chris Wasnesky

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thanks Chris and yes, the 5.7L HEMI is certainly on a short list. That would be a great option and I've already got several key parts for this one. I'd LOVE to be able to drive one of the Banks Turbo 4.0L as I too have heard great things about this package. It would make a real clean and fun daily driver for sure.

Right now I am really torn between an over the top build or a really clean fun driver. I think it really has come down to these three options; 5.7L HEMI, 4.0L Turbo or the Cummins diesel crate engine. Need to wait to see what this Cummins option turns out to before sure.

Good hear from you too!! You've been hiding too much. Stop by more often.

Ben
Unread 11-06-2016, 05:59 AM

Having had the banks turbo in the green Brute it is a no brainer upgrade for the 4.0. With the Cummins coming out if it is somewhat reasonable which I expect it to be the new Brute will be getting this. I like the 360 Dodge engine but don't think it is any more cost effective to swap than the Hemi.

Pete
Unread 11-06-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteEinMT View Post
With the Cummins coming out if it is somewhat reasonable which I expect it to be the new Brute will be getting this.
Pete
A wise man has spoken. Probably true. Maybe.

Ben
Unread 11-07-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hedrick View Post
OK, so I am looking at building a new Brute for me. I've done quite a few power plants in them in the past and now I am looking for some advise and thoughts on something for my next build that I'll probably keep for a long time.

I LOVED my Brute HEMI 392 Stroker build but sometimes I thought that it almost has too much power for a daily driver. But, it was a BLAST to drive. Like a Brute Trophy Truck!

Typically, I am a brand to brand specific guy as in I don't usually like to mix engines and body brand but, the LS engine certainly has some appeal to it. And I've got a huge hookup connection for some serious LS parts with my buddy here in the Daytona area. So we could build a "cool" LS Brute.

Now same as above the brand mixing is the same if I were to do a Cummins diesel or even the VW diesel. Both would be cool, just not totally sold on the diesel for me in a Brute. But, like to hear some thoughts on it.

Now something that we've been "researching" a little lately is a SRT10 RAM Viper engine... I know its been done at least once in a TJ and I've even seen one in Germany that was in a YJ. I do know that it would fit. Cooling could be an issue but we'd have the ability of using the bed for a radiator/fan setup which I believe we could handle the cooling.

So, feel free to chime in but here are a few thoughts on power.
  • HEMI 5.7L:
  • HEMI 6.4L:
  • Mopar 360/401 - Old School style with EFI added:
  • Viper RAM SRT10:
  • Diesel - Cummings or other:
  • Telsa Electric - (not)
  • LS Chevy:
  • 4.0L - Turbo or Supercharger:
  • Other:

Thanks, Ben
I vote for an LS 430 HP. There is a reason why they are under so many hoods at SEMA and the 6L80 trans is awesome as well with an excellent price point! Compact and easy fit too.

My Jeep. 2014 JKU, 6.4L Hemi AEV kit, 2.5" AEV lift, 35" Duratrac's. Gen Right aluminum bumpers, Warn VR 8000 winch. Pro Rock 44.