Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > American Expedition Vehicles > AEV Miscellaneous

Unread 12-19-2016, 07:54 AM

Default Winter driving

I need a little advice on winter driving. Bought a new (to me) AEV 350 JKU late last week - just as winter weather hit western Montana. I'm currently running 35" 12.5 Wrangler MT/R Kevlar that don't appear to be siped.

I've been running in 4wd since feeling more rear tire slip on pavement than I'm comfortable with. I figure my options are:
1- keep it in 4wd if conditions are sketchy and get my tires siped. Do you guys run in 4wd most of the time on winter roads?
2- find some narrower wheels and get a true winter tire.
3- I see recommendations on here for the KO2. Is it really significantly better than what I'm running?

It goes great on a little packed snow, all the way up to 18 inches. It's hitting a patch of ice in rear wheel drive that concerns me. Broke loose with a simple transmission down shift earlier in 2wd.

Thanks!
Unread 12-19-2016, 11:38 AM

I am in Missoula and run KO2 34x10.5-17 on stock rims and they stick like glue. sure if you nail the throttle they will break loose but generally just run around in 2wd. it does not hurt to run in 2wd and if hitting a sketchy section to slide it in 4wd hi. I would not just leave it in 4 hi tho on dry roads.
Unread 12-19-2016, 02:05 PM

I've found dropping the rear tire pressure a few pounds really helps. Oh and yes BFG A/Ts are awesome.
Unread 12-19-2016, 08:11 PM

I'm on same tires as you. Very uncomfortable on ice and packed snow. I siped mine AND self studded. Think next time I'd just stud the suckers. More room for studs without the siping until I wear them out and get the ko2. Grip studs are amazing and for $250 your done. Remove in the spring and go.
Unread 12-20-2016, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vann View Post
I need a little advice on winter driving. Bought a new (to me) AEV 350 JKU late last week - just as winter weather hit western Montana. I'm currently running 35" 12.5 Wrangler MT/R Kevlar that don't appear to be siped.

I've been running in 4wd since feeling more rear tire slip on pavement than I'm comfortable with. I figure my options are:
1- keep it in 4wd if conditions are sketchy and get my tires siped. Do you guys run in 4wd most of the time on winter roads?
2- find some narrower wheels and get a true winter tire.
3- I see recommendations on here for the KO2. Is it really significantly better than what I'm running?

It goes great on a little packed snow, all the way up to 18 inches. It's hitting a patch of ice in rear wheel drive that concerns me. Broke loose with a simple transmission down shift earlier in 2wd.

Thanks!
The KO2 tires are a great tire for year round. They are also highly rated as a winter tire. If you don't need tires right now, I'd recommend getting yours sipped or getting a true winter tire if you are concerned. Unfortunately, not much can be done in ice, everyone will have issues there except studded tires. We love KO2s and have heard great feedback from out customers on and off-road. However running the KO2s will not have the same effect in up to 18 inches of snow. A mud tire is better for deep snow.
cholt@aev-conversions.com
Unread 12-20-2016, 09:31 AM

Living in Big Bear which is 7500 feet for 15 year I have some experience with ice and snow conditions. I would recommend reducing your tire pressure by 5lbs. This will give you more tire contact. I have never sipped. I run Ko2 and Km2. I would say reduce your speed you can shift in and out of 4 wheel drive on the fly. avoid slamming on your breaks if you see an ice patch just ease off on your gas. If the back end should break lose and start to slide to one side steer into it and take your foot off the gas. Common sense. I see so many times people stopping in the middle of the road to install chains or to just get out of the vehicle to go sledding which then courses accidents. I also see people driving too fast and crashing off the mountain or into a ditch or even into the lake. I hope this helps. Drive safe. Happy holidays
Unread 12-20-2016, 09:56 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the good feedback. I'm perfectly happy having a winter set of tires while using the MT/R all other seasons. Planning on getting a set of Blizzaks after lots of research, not to mention I've been happy with them on other rigs. I expect my next set of general purpose tires will be the KO2, but not until the MT/R are worn. Need to save 4WD for when it's needed.
Unread 12-21-2016, 04:44 PM

Smile Change of course

After visiting with Kent at AEV Missoula, I've ordered a set of BFG-KO2. Too many off road snow excursions ahead this winter to limit my range with the Blizzaks. Wrangler MT/R are headed for Craigslist.
Unread 12-21-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vann View Post
After visiting with Kent at AEV Missoula, I've ordered a set of BFG-KO2. Too many off road snow excursions ahead this winter to limit my range with the Blizzaks. Wrangler MT/R are headed for Craigslist.
what size did you order? hopefully you did not go thru Whalen. get a way better deal going thru 4wd.com and then having discount tire beat it in Kalispell. The amount of money I saved was crazy on a set of 5. MT/R are better off road tires so might keep them and get a second set of rims to swap back and forth. The KO2 do run small as well.
Unread 12-30-2016, 06:27 PM

Count this as another very satisfied customer of the BFG AT KO2. Spent the day driving a variety of winter road conditions on the new 35X12.5 tires. Couldn't be happier. Thanks for the advice guys.

Tags
snow ice winter tires