Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 03-01-2017, 01:05 PM

Default Dana 60's + 40" tires + AEV 4.5" Lift

Hello,

What would it take to get an AEV JK350 package with a 4.5" lift to run with a Dynatrac Hard Core ProRock 60/60 Axle-Set and 40" tires and retain the AEV mantra (aesthetics, functionality, engineering, etc...)

For 37" tires, AEV already offers the Dynatrac Serious Performance ProRock 44/60 Axle-Set upgrade which works perfectly with the AEV suspension (via a bracket offered by Dynatrac) and standard AEV wheels.

However, for 40" tires, things are a little different. First and foremost, while the Dynatrac Serious Performance ProRock 44/60 Axle-Set upgrade could probably easily handle 40's, it isn't recommended to do so by Dynatrac. They ask you to use the Hard Core ProRock 60/60 Axle-Set instead.

So here are my main questions:

Will the Mopar High Top Fender Flares kit and light trimming of the Rubicon rock guards be enough to accommodate 40"s without rubbing?

Will 40"s have issues with the front bumper?
Will 40"s interfere with the AEV Fuel Caddy?
Can the Procal be used for 40" tires?

How much of a wider stance will the JK have? (the Dynatrac Hard Core ProRock 60/60 Axle-Set is 1.5" wider on each side than the Dana 44.) Can anyone that has this setup post a picture?

Can the AEV Ram truck wheels with the 8 bolt pattern be used with an adapter or is 6" backspace a deal breaker since the Dynatrac Hard Core ProRock 60/60 Axle-Set requires a max of 4.5" backspace.

Finally and more importantly, there must be a reason why AEV doesn't offer this setup. Can someone from AEV tell me why?

Thanks!

Last edited by AEV_FAN; 03-01-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Unread 03-01-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV_FAN View Post
For 37" tires, AEV already offers the Dynatrac Serious Performance ProRock 44/60 Axle-Set upgrade which works perfectly with the AEV suspension (via a bracket offered by Dynatrac) and standard AEV wheels.
Not to derail, but do you have any more info about this dynatrac bracket? Does it let you retain the AEV hi-steer set up?

I think that the front bumper and gas caddy don't work with 40" tires.

Last edited by klausvanwinkle; 03-01-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Unread 03-01-2017, 02:42 PM

I am not sure but you can partially see the setup from the pictures in this link:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-v.../photo-05.html

According to the AEV website, the tire carrier works fine with 40" tires. Not sure about the Fuel Caddy though.
Unread 03-01-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV_FAN View Post
I am not sure but you can partially see the setup from the pictures in this link:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-v.../photo-05.html

According to the AEV website, the tire carrier works fine with 40" tires. Not sure about the Fuel Caddy though.
Interesting. Thanks! Good luck with the 40s.
Unread 03-01-2017, 08:11 PM

I too want 40's and have the same dilemma. Unfortunately, I doubt 40's will be in the cards without modifying bumpers etc. Because of this I've toyed with the possibility of selling the JK 350 and going in a different direction all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2008 JKUR AEV- Expedition Package, 4.5 DS-RS, Salta, 37 GY, 5:38's.
2006 LJ Rubicon SOLD
2001 Jeep Cherokee SOLD
1998 Jeep Cherokee SOLD
Unread 03-01-2017, 10:40 PM

I have wondered why the tire carrier was designed to hold a 40. I remember Dave saying something about that size tire on a JK would only be useful in Iceland or a similar terrain.
Unread 03-01-2017, 11:20 PM

40" tires on Hutchisons with Hightop flares and AEV bumper. Spaced the bumper forward 1" to line up better with the fenders and clear the 40" better. We had to notch and reinforce the frame to the rear of the front tire to provide turning radius without rubbing. Had to clearance the fender behind the front tire back to the 10mm bolt that holds the bottom of the steel fender on.

Running 1.5" spacers on all corners with 4340 rear axles and RCV and upgraded Teraflex housing on the front axle. Both are still 44 housing but will probably move to 60s in the future since we added a 6.4 Hemi. I don't abuse my stuff so not really worried about it.

Had to clearance the rear fenders quite a bit and since this is a Brute we ditched the water tanks and shortened the bumper side tubes to clear as well.

Had to remove the fuel caddy because the 40" will not work with it.

I can add some more pics if there is anything specific you want to see.

I dig the Brute with 40s. Seems to be more proportionate to me. Still drives very similar to my buddies JK350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 03-02-2017, 10:57 AM

Looks great. I wish those flares would work with the AEV snorkel.
Be sure and share some more photos.
Unread 03-02-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnordsman View Post
I dig the Brute with 40s. Seems to be more proportionate to me. Still drives very similar to my buddies JK350.
Agreed! I always thought the wheelbase on the Brute seemed a bit long even for the 37s + 4.5" lift. The 40s Looks great.
Unread 03-02-2017, 06:18 PM

brute DC on 40s is how they should all be built in my opinion

Tags
4.5" lift, 40" tires, dana 60