Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 03-13-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV_FAN View Post
Some people run 40's on reinforced stock axles. I would love to do that. However I don't want to have to mess with the frame. I am ok with high fender flares. But unfortunately, it seems that there is a lot more to it then just the fender flares. I even saw a guy who cut the sides of the AEV front bumpers to accommodate larger tires... That's definitely not something i want to do.

The whole purpose of this thread was to find out the work/modification(s) needed associated with fitting the JK350 4.5" with tires larger than 37"s. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get anyone from AEV to pitch in and enlighten us...
I think AEV realizes that going from 37s to 40s is not anything like going from 35s to 37s. With 40s, everything changes. Sure, you can get bigger (and wider) axles to accommodate the tires without having to modify the frame. But that is not where it ends. Its just the beginning. With 40s a hydro assist steering system is all but mandatory. And of course you have to run 5.38 gears. I have driven Pentastar JKs with 40s and 5.38s. The transmission shifting was horrible. Now keep in mind these were jeeps using a ProCal to program the tire size and gear ratio. I don't know, but it seemed to me that the ProCal was just not capable of reprogramming the JK electronics to provide satisfactory shifting with 40s and 5.38s. I have heard of people using custom tuning on the transmissions to get the shifting improved.

40s is a whole new ballgame in a JK. It brings so many factors into play. You are adding so much weight (with the dana 60s, beadlocks, tires) that the performance of the JK is well outside of its design parameters.

Can it be done? Of course it can. But you have to be prepared for so many changes and differences. I think AEV realizes that it is just not in the target market they are after. There is so much more to a JK on 40s that they just don't want the headaches.

A friend of mine who went to 40s on his JKUR calls it the dumbest thing he ever did. YMMV
Unread 03-13-2017, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Pretty much. 40s on a Ram...no prob, equivalent to 37s on a JK...go much bigger and you just get into some major issues. I kinda want 40s on my Brute DC but keep telling myself "no"...I had them on my TJ Brute for snow wheeling and it was awesome, but it was not so awesome driving up to the mnts.

dh
2013 KTM 450XC-W
Unread 03-14-2017, 12:19 PM

I was trying to see if I could get my AEV JK350 beefed up similarly to the Ultimate Dana 60 JKU while retaining its AEV properties, but apparently it isn't feasible without compromising the tightly integrated AEV package (which I do happen to love). I guess I will have to stick with 37's. Thank you all for your comments/advice.
Unread 03-14-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I was trying to see if I could get my AEV JK350 beefed up similarly to the Ultimate Dana 60 JKU while retaining its AEV properties, but apparently it isn't feasible without compromising the tightly integrated AEV package (which I do happen to love). I guess I will have to stick with 37's. Thank you all for your comments/advice.
If you ever get a chance, drive a JKU on 40s with the stock motor and trans. You will be very happy on 37s after that.

Which is not to say 40s are not doable; it just changes the whole dynamics. Its not the same as what you have now, with just bigger tires. Its very different.
Unread 03-14-2017, 01:20 PM

I was planning on getting a V8 swap and was hoping to do everything at once.
I got stuck in the snow with the 35's. A jeep with 40's, Dana 60's and a V8 pulled me out without any issues. This is what inspired everything...

Last edited by AEV_FAN; 03-14-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Unread 03-15-2017, 08:49 PM

Man my next step was to jump to 39.5 IROCs but I'm now kind of slowing that up....I currently run 37s with Mopar high top flares and the Mopar 4.5in lift ,that I swapped in the Mopar "2in" springs into because the looks of the 37s with the high top flares and 4.5in of lift looked goofy to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 03-17-2017, 11:32 AM

One of the features of the AEV 4.5" lift is that you don't need high fender flares with 37's and you still have better than stock drivability. However, as you can tell from this thread, you shouldn't go bigger than 37's.
Unread 03-17-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
One of the features of the AEV 4.5" lift is that you don't need high fender flares with 37's and you still have better than stock drivability. However, as you can tell from this thread, you shouldn't go bigger than 37's.

To say that you shouldn't go bigger is a little misleading and a bit of an opinion, IMHO. I daily drive my Brute on 40" tires and love it. Are the things I did to be able to do so for everyone? Absolutely not. In my opinion, you have to decide what it is you are going after. I wanted to take the unique look of the BDC to another level and to do so I committed to making the modifications, some of which we needed to figure out on the fly.

For the AEV purest this will make them cringe, so if you are that guy, this is not for you. Here are the things we did to make 40s work on a BDC with a 4.5" lift.
1. Modified frame behind front tire for turning radius.
2. Moved front bumper forward 1" with solid steel spacers.
3. Upgraded 44 front axle housing and ball joints and installed RCV axles
4. 1.5" wheel spacers
5. 4340 rear axles on 44 housing.
6. High Top fender flares
7. Shortened rear side bumper tubes and removed water tanks(we will eventually fill the water tank space with a step)
8. Trimmed metal behind front tire and minor trimming on rear wheel wells to clearance to full compression.
9. Additional horsepower. How you get there is up to you and I've tried a little of everything. Highly recommend a Hemi swap over all else.

The vehicle is fully functional on and off road in its current configuration. I do have a short list of things that are for the future in order of importance.

1. Hydro assist. I don't feel this a complete necessity because I have wheeled without it. I am using the 13.5" wide, not so aggressive, ProComp tires so the turning friction is not much higher than 37" unless I really drop the psi. Will make wheeling easier.
2. Dana 60 axles, 8 lug, at the correct width to eliminate wheel spacers. A little more peace of mind.

Again, I think anything is possible, you just have to decide whether the juice is worth the squeeze.

Unread 03-17-2017, 05:03 PM

Your Brute looks amazing!

So even if you install the Dana 60's and get the extra width, you still need to trim the frame huh?
Unread 03-17-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Your Brute looks amazing!

So even if you install the Dana 60's and get the extra width, you still need to trim the frame huh?

Thanks for the compliment!

Stock JK is 65.375" width without the 3" of spacers and dynatrac Dana 60 8 lug is 68.5. 3.125" difference. Almost exactly the same with the spacers added. I wanted to run a lower offset wheel such as AEV or the Hutchinsons I currently have. I modified the frame to do so. If I used a higher offset wheel that would not be the case but I didn't want the wheels and tires to stick out that far.

I am going to do the math on using Kalta 8 lugs for the 8 lug axle setup. No bead lock option but I think they would look phenomenal on a Brute. Would love to know if someone has done it, or on a JK for that matter.

Tags
4.5" lift, 40" tires, dana 60