Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Brute and Brute Double Cab Pickup Discussion

Unread 02-20-2010, 03:14 PM

wonder if an Adventure Trailer FLip Pack could be made to fit on a Brute.

Adventure Trailer Flip Pack

Adventure Trailer Flip Pack video at Overland

Last edited by rlpw; 02-20-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Yes they can, we talked about it at SEMA.

4Wheel Campers has also expressed interest in making one of thiers to fit the Brute.

dh
Unread 03-30-2010, 06:14 AM

Default Jim N

Just my 2 cents worth but I've done a lot of adventure camping both in Australia and Africa. I started with a camper trailer with Australian style fold out tent camper top. It was great but limited manoeverability and where you could get to in some instances. I went to a camper module on the tray, similar to some that you guys have shown (ie hard bodied, pop top etc). It was also great but, especially in Australia where we often to set up a base camp in a spot for a while, it was VERY irritating having to break camp every time I wanted to drive anywhere and it was also very heavy (very poor fuel economy as well). I then went to a camper module on the tray that had extendable legs so you could jack it up and drive the car out from under it. That was also really good but I ran into the problem that all of these hard bodied camper modules are heavy and they all limit the amount of gear that you can carry. What I finally arrived at was I took the Australian style fold out canvas camper top off a camper trailer (I actually bought it seperate to the trailer) and made a set of sliding racks that I could bolt onto the tray and then fitted some fold down legs to the camper top. Above the room on the tray required for the camper unit (it's less than 1ft high) I fitted a false floor. I carry my Engel fridges, storage boxes, dirt bikes etc etc on top of the false floor. I also have a racks with hydraulic pistons for the fridges so it's a one handed task to drop them down to a comfortable level off the side of the tray.

It's very simple to slide the camper out from the back of the tray, fold down the legs, open the tent, set up the awning and it's done - an overnight stop is about 10 minutes setting up. I like the canvas as well - it's 14 ounze, strong, water proof, wind proof and easy to repair. The floor of the camper is vulcanized rubber that runs about 300mm up the sides of the tent from the floor - no moisture gets through at all. I have had this thing in tropical downpours without any problems whatsoever. You can fold it up wet without an issue - you just have to make sure you open and dry it when you finally get back home. It's also easy to set it up on uneven ground. Lastly, you live on ground level in the camp and the tent becomes part of it - climbing up ladders into trayon campers or roof top tents is a pain and you still need to set up tarps/awnings to put your chairs and tables under.

I have done trips with this set up to remote places that there is no way I would have got to, either because of range or 4wd ability, with a hard bodied trayon camper or a trailer.
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:24 PM

Jim, I'm sure I speak for others when I say we'd *really* love to see pictures of that setup.

--Donnie
Unread 05-01-2010, 08:37 PM

Saw Video of the Brute with the Four Wheel Camper. Really impressive. Do you guys have any pics of the inside?
Kevinsoffroad.com Overland Expo 2010 5 of 9

Last edited by rlpw; 05-01-2010 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Forgot the vid link
Unread 03-02-2011, 07:53 AM

I love the concept, but to me the Four Wheel Camper looks like a misfit on the Brute. Too wide and too long. And as I mentioned in the other thread concernin' these particular campers, they ain't willin' to do no custom work at all (interior or exterior). It is what it is ... take it or leave it.

Finally got around to doin' me some more research and found what I believe is a viable option for my needs:

http://www.coyoterv.biz/default.html

(I highly recommend readin' the "About Us" tab and gettin' the explanation of their relationship with Four Wheel Campers.)

Bottom line is they'll custom build a unit to fit anythang. Now we're talkin'.

I'm thinkin' a smooth-sided, color-matched unit built to match the width and length of the Brute bed. Would make 'er look nice and sleek ... in fact, very similar to the look of EarthRoamer's JK.

Interior complete with sink, stove, fridge, and maybe even a bathroom. Looks to be very doable for a party of one.

Gonna be in the Denver area this summer anyway, so prob'ly drop in for a look-see at the fac'try ... and maybe just go 'head and order me up one.
Unread 03-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Interior shot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6523s.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	2040

This camper was supposed to have color matched smooth sides, but didn't because of the timing to get it to the Overland Expo 2010.

dh
Unread 06-21-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV Dave View Post
... I'll be building mine with a 124.9" wheelbase to get a bigger tray and be able to put an 8' long camper module on it with the right proportions.

dh
Dave, I know it's an old post, but I was wondering if you were thinking of getting the wheelbase you mention here (124.9") by using the full Brute frame extension on an LJ or modifying (lengthening) the Brute package for a TJ? I keep thinking of the proportions of a full Brute frame extension applied to an LJ, wouldn't that look good and function well for your purpose? Have you tried it/thought about it?

Thanks,
Calin
Unread 07-17-2016, 09:02 PM

Just stumbled on this old AEV Brute thread. Some cool/GREAT ideas here and some cool concepts too!

Ben
2007 5.7L HEMI Sahara Unlimited - Sold
2010 6.1L HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
2011 6.4L (392) HEMI Rubicon Unlimited - Sold
2002 4.0L AEV Brute - Sold
2003 6.4L "Stroker" HEMI AEV Brute - Sold
2005 4.0L SC AEV K9 Brute
2014 345 HEMI Rubicon Xpo Adventurer
2000 4.0L AEV 112 Long Wheelbase
2006 4.0L AEV Brute Rubicon
Unread 07-17-2016, 10:34 PM

not a RTT but a camper with a brute (not mine)

Last edited by lucky73; 08-11-2016 at 12:48 PM.