Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > American Expedition Vehicles > Expeditions and Back Country Adventures using AEV Products

Unread 01-01-2010, 10:52 PM

Default More info on the "Utah Traverse" trip?

Thanks, Dave!

Say, when do you expect to have more details on the AEV / Sinuhe Xavier / Scott Brady "Utah Traverse" trip? And, what timeframe are you thinking about? 2010, or beyond? What season or even month, if you know? How many people / vehicles? Would you charge people to join, or not? Could a guy get a ride if he doesn't have a suitable vehicle of his own?

Happy New Year!
Unread 08-29-2010, 12:57 PM

It was December 3, 2009, I was due to meet Dave Harriton, Dave Yegge from AEV and Scott Brady in a week to guide them through a few sections of the Utah Traverse over 6 days for an episode of Speed Channel's "Dangerous Drives". It was obvious the weather had different ideas.

The snow came in a furious storm with a bitter cold snap blanketing Southern Utah with as much snow as they had seen in 39 years. I was holed up in Boulder, Utah with my good friend Ace Kvale waiting the storm out for 3 days. On the 4th day I headed east across the Burr Trail which had 12-16" of snow blown across it. It was eerily desolate and quiet.

The first vehicle I saw on my way to Moab was UDOT plow at the junction of 24 and I-70, Hanksville was completely snowed in. The driver of the UDOT plow looked bewildered as I passed, when I reached Green River I learned I-70 had been closed between Green River and Salina, Utah over the San Rafael Swell.

After a night in the ghost town that was Moab, I went out to get a feel for what the conditions were like out there. The temperature hovered around +25
Unread 08-29-2010, 05:06 PM

Great photos!
Were you a lone vehicle?
Unread 08-30-2010, 02:02 PM

Sorry didn't see that it had been cut off...

I was a lone vehicle for the scouting portion...

Click here to see the rest of the report....
Unread 01-23-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINUHEXAVIER View Post
Sorry didn't see that it had been cut off...

I was a lone vehicle for the scouting portion...

Click here to see the rest of the report....
I realize this the age of this thread. Any chance someone has the original route or actual route map used for this trip?
Unread 01-24-2017, 10:44 AM

Default The Utah Traverse

I think Sinhue would say that plotting your route is half the fun. I have my own version of this route. And I'm completing the second half of it this Spring.

I'd recommend downloading google earth files for Utah trails and then connecting them together to create the route. There are tons of options.
Unread 01-24-2017, 01:36 PM

Sometimes designing your own "wheel" from scratch is fun. Most of the time, it's just inefficient use of time. Stitching google earth tracks together is not my ideal of fun. It's like some people would rather buy an AEV vehicle completely finished, others want to bolt parts on, and other want to build their own parts.

I was hoping to utilize another's previously developed route to kickstart my adventure.
Unread 01-24-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannarun View Post
Sometimes designing your own "wheel" from scratch is fun. Most of the time, it's just inefficient use of time. Stitching google earth tracks together is not my ideal of fun. It's like some people would rather buy an AEV vehicle completely finished, others want to bolt parts on, and other want to build their own parts.

I was hoping to utilize another's previously developed route to kickstart my adventure.
But for some people that's like giving away their secret fishing spot. I'll keep you posted. My route is a stitched together route. So I'd like to go make sure it works, and share the actual resulting breadcrumb trail instead of hand traced tracks that might not work. But that's part of the adventure. I also think hema is releasing something like this soon.
Unread 01-24-2017, 01:47 PM

When are you starting your route? 4 weeks away for me
Unread 01-24-2017, 01:48 PM

I'm going in late April. Otherwise you'd have to bypass The snow over the la sal mountains.