Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Administrator

The 2 Door has 35" KM2s on it. The pinch weld was not trimmed. Some 35" tire and wheel combinations may require trimming of the pinch weld and rocker guard.

dh
2013 KTM 450XC-W
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV Dave View Post
The 2 Door has 35" KM2s on it. The pinch weld was not trimmed. Some 35" tire and wheel combinations may require trimming of the pinch weld and rocker guard.

dh
Thanks Dave, helpful as always. I plan on the that setup, wheels, lift and hood as soon as my bank account stop laughing at me! Piece by piece I will get there.
Unread 02-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Gleesonkd:

You can relax, you're not going to go wrong with either kit. Both will ride and handle very well. The 3.5" kit works great with the steering kit and is truly impressive for how well it handles at that height, but the 2.5" is lower and doesn't need the roll center as high, its such a small net difference I'd probably call it a wash, though we haven't compared the two in a high-speed slalom to give you quantitative data. I'd say at limit handling the 3.5" kit probably is a bit better, but that's kind of like saying a Porsche isn't fast compared to a Gallardo...Its a small difference and they are both faster than you can really use.

Questions to ask yourself:
  • How tall is your wife, is she going to complain about the height?
  • Do you have little kids? If so the lower height will make buckling them into car seats easier.
  • Do you have people riding in the back a lot? If so the lower height is easier to deal with.
  • Do you ever see the need for remote reservoirs..ie high speed long bumpy drives like in baja? The 3.5 is available with the RR shocks, the 2.5" kit isn't.
  • Do you see yourself upgrading to larger tires like 37's in the future?
  • Do you need more breakover angle where you plan to wheel (if this is a four door)
2013 KTM 450XC-W
Unread 02-21-2012, 04:25 PM

Thanks Dave.

Hmmm is still coming to my mind. Lol. 3.5 it is. No kids just dogs. Wife she can climb up. Lol and no to bigger tires. The only thing I will need to add is a step stool to load kayaks on the roof.
Unread 02-22-2012, 01:11 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CRDSTU

Dave, given the height of the 2.5" kit, have you guys tested the hi steer kit on it before? Is it possible to fit if the correct bump stops are in check?

R
Stu
stuart@murchisonproducts.com.au
12 AEV JKU, Dozer
05 AEV Brute, Brilliant Black
01 TJ Brute Alloy Trayback, Silver
13 WK2 CRD Laredo, Brilliant Black
Unread 02-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Administrator

I got a pic of the four door with 285-70R17 Goodyear Duratrac's. This Jeep is also a 5.7 with all the other AEV stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	2853
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	3239

Stu - The angles aren't severe enough to require or even benefit from the Hi Steer kit. If you did try to install it, the draglink would crash into the frame with only about an 2" of up-travel, so it would severely limit the up-travel and ride quality.

dh
2013 KTM 450XC-W
Unread 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM

That has quite a similar look to mine although I installed the AEV budget boost one night a couple of months ago (while waiting for the 2.5 kit) and haven't taken it off.I have the same size Duratracs .All along I thought I was the only one that remotely liked 33's .

Truthfully ,for my DD in a flat part of the country I can't complain .I didn't have to regear , change the spare carrier ,and everyone involved can get in and out of it.

I'm by no means done with my JK but that setup has a good balance for the time being.
Unread 02-22-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV Dave View Post
I got a pic of the four door with 285-70R17 Goodyear Duratrac's. This Jeep is also a 5.7 with all the other AEV stuff.

Attachment 3239

Stu - The angles aren't severe enough to require or even benefit from the Hi Steer kit. If you did try to install it, the draglink would crash into the frame with only about an 2" of up-travel, so it would severely limit the up-travel and ride quality.

dh

This photo is perfect for someone that owns a green four door.
Unread 02-22-2012, 07:57 PM

Default Vehicle height with 2.5"lift

Hello Dave,

Is it possible for a height measurement of the white jeep that has the 2.5" lift and 35" tires.

You see my concern is entry into my garage and that was a factor for not getting the 3.5" lift.

My garage when open is 80"-6.6 ft.
My Jeep with the snorkel sits at 73" Antenna sits at 76" I would say 3-4" for a safe zone. My Antenna will get crushed. A solution can be found for this.

How tall would the rear of my jeep increase with this lift and 35" KM2"s?
I would really appreciate your assistance or anybody that has this set up.
Unread 02-22-2012, 09:02 PM

Simba go with the 3.5 and 35's. It will fit. 76.75 inches is what my buddies jeep is.

I also have 80 inches of clearance and I'm going 3.5 and BFG AT 35's. You will be fine.