Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Brute and Brute Double Cab Pickup Discussion

Unread 02-07-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroad Engineering View Post
I have every intent of driving it highway speeds, the axle geometry can present some challenges with regards to handling but they are not the limiting factor for speed. The 404 Unimogs utilized some bushings (vs bearings)in the transmission and would overheat on extended highway travel which started a lot of that myth.
So I guess I don't have my portals correct because I thought instantly of the Dynatrac portals and they specifically say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynatrac
.......Realistically these new portal axles aren’t for everyone. They are not recommended for highway use, and the leverage of the portal design places additional stress on suspension mounting points and control arms. Electronic controls such as ESP and ABS cannot be retained with the portal boxes, as they can with Dynatrac’s traditional ProRock, Pro, and Trail Series axles.
So yours are not from Dynatrac??
1990 Honda CRX Si bored / stroked / supercharged ITR

Last edited by jadkar; 02-07-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Unread 02-07-2013, 04:02 PM

Just because they are "not recommended for highway use" doesn't mean one *can't*.

It simply means that they don't want the liability of it. Especially KNOWING that you can't really get ABS and traction control type stuff to work with it. At least not easily.

--Donnie
Unread 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
Just because they are "not recommended for highway use" doesn't mean one *can't*.

It simply means that they don't want the liability of it. Especially KNOWING that you can't really get ABS and traction control type stuff to work with it. At least not easily.

--Donnie
I thought of that too but one can't just assume, maybe there is a problem with the gear reduction unti spinning so fast. Have you ever had your truck in 4low and drive in 6th gear??? It sounds like something in the transfer case is gonna let go!! Lots of whinning. I would imagine the gear reduction assembly at 60-80mph much make some crazy noise as well, and get real hot.
Unread 02-07-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadkar View Post
I thought of that too but one can't just assume, maybe there is a problem with the gear reduction unti spinning so fast. Have you ever had your truck in 4low and drive in 6th gear??? It sounds like something in the transfer case is gonna let go!! Lots of whinning. I would imagine the gear reduction assembly at 60-80mph much make some crazy noise as well, and get real hot.
Sure, but also remember these axle assemblies were designed to handle much higher weight than he'll have. Lighten the load and you have a much nicer heat situation on your hands. Another problem with the heat as just getting rid of it...the drum brakes blocked air flow badly. But on anything that's converted to disk apparently the heat becomes much less of an issue, too.

40" tires will also help keep the axle RPMs down.

Would I run 80 in it? For short periods, but probably not long ones. 70? Probably. But like anything "new", I'd work my way up, stop to check temps occasionally with an infrared gauge, etc. For a little while, anyway.

--Donnie
Unread 02-07-2013, 05:54 PM

subscribed this is going to be good.
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:12 AM

AEV built a Brute on portals a few years ago and from the limited report from the owner of that Brute it seemed like the portals had no issues on the highway.

Here is that build thread.

http://forum.aev-conversions.com/sho...ghlight=portal

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.
Unread 02-08-2013, 07:55 AM

Are all portals 4 wheel steering?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52451_0002.htm

AxleTech Motorsports Four Wheel Steering Portal Axle Kit
For Dana 60 Steering Axles

2012 4-Door Silver MW3 Traded in 6/14
2011 JK Detonator Yellow 4-Door - sold 4/12
2007 JK Silver 2-Door - sold 4/11
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:34 AM

Holy crap this is awesome (Oh god... more money!!)

If you read the product description it says the kit comes with 2 steering unites and 2 rigid units. So this kit for 4K you get everything!! It doesn't say if this can be used with a standard JK front 44 axle. Also, if the front just attaches via the ball joints how does the rear attach?? I'm guessing someone with enough axle know how had to cut off the old ends of the knuckles and attach these to the tubes??

Actually after looking..... it looks like the ball joint attachment point on the front is different also. I guess you have to cut off the front inner "C" as this comes with one??
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:01 AM

My axles are PortalTeks, they utilize a ford 9" centersection flipped upside down and a 2 gear portal to reverse the direction back. The portal boxes themselves are a redesigned and strengthened Volvo C303.

The axletechs mentioned above are a 4 gear portal so that there is no need to flip the housing. They are big, they are heavy, and they require aftermarket dana 60 kingpin c's. Great product though.

At one point they were working on a 3/4 size box for lighter duty applications like JKs.

They add a huge amount of track width and some funny steering geometry, hence why I had custom cut hutchinsons with about 7" of backspacing. brings the rotation point back to where it should be.

My front is steering, my rear is fixed.

The jeep that AEV built utilized the same portals as mine, they're strong, but there is still some refining to do on them.
5.7 Hemi
Getrag 238 6 speed
Rubicon 241
40" Toyo's/Hutchinson FC Wheels
JK Unlimited Frame
Blah Blah Blah

97 F350 CCLB
38" Toyo's on Hutchinsons
Deavers/2.5" Kings/Long Travel Airbags
ARB's/35 Spline Chromos

05 XR650R
Street legal and RTW prepped
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Started fitting up the cab closeout today

And theres a hemi floating around in there somewhere...

I'm going to start mocking up the engine with a set of AEV JK hemi conversion motor mounts, I'm hoping that I can work from that point.

The frame is going to require quite a bit of work, removing all the motor mounts, engine mounts, etc. Also appears the rear crossmember will need removed to clear the frame extension and winch cradle.

The frame width difference also creates a rework of the rear cradle.

All doable, just a lot of cutting, grinding, and reworking
5.7 Hemi
Getrag 238 6 speed
Rubicon 241
40" Toyo's/Hutchinson FC Wheels
JK Unlimited Frame
Blah Blah Blah

97 F350 CCLB
38" Toyo's on Hutchinsons
Deavers/2.5" Kings/Long Travel Airbags
ARB's/35 Spline Chromos

05 XR650R