Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > TJ Wrangler Parts Discussion (1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 08-03-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathindian View Post
Finally i was able to get hold of mopar rear bumper and would like to add hitch and tire carrier. Is there a write or specs for this mod. lo2ay has some good pictures but it will be nice to have pics from underneath where you can see the reinforcements. I will be getting it done from a shop and don't want them to make mistake as its hard to find these bumpers.
Took me 2 tries lol

Jason
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Baja Yellow
Dual Sport 106
Unread 08-03-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdemonto View Post
Took me 2 tries lol

Jason

Do you mind sharing what you learned ? What should I watch out for so that I don't have to do it twice.
Unread 08-25-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Martin View Post
this is the rear mopar bumper/jk tire carrier swingout created by Greg at AEV. the placement of the carrier is perfect. it has a perfect motion of travel and does not hit the tail lights although you will need some flush mount style lights for this to work. also its tucked up nice and tight to the rear of the jeep which i like, very little gap between the rear window/gate and the tire.

also this really is the way to go if you have the time and patience to work with it. all the AEV accessories work with the tire carrier. One thing you'll want to keep in mind is that you'll need additional support plates from the bumper to the frame to deal with the stress of the spindle at this location. this is very important for longevity.
Long short but if Ausitn Martin is still on the forum, can you post a closer pic of hitch and the tire carrier. Is the hitch welded to bumper (underneath) and secured with bolts or the bumper was cut and hitch welded in the middle.
Unread 09-15-2016, 05:32 PM

Default AEV tire carrier in TJ

I own the Jeep now.
Are you still trying to work this out?
I can get you pics next week. At any rate, the tube is cut in the middle and the hitch welded between the tubes and below the angle horizontal leg, if memory serves me right. The vertical leg of the angle is bolted to the rear cross member.
1982 CJ8 Scrambler (Sold)
2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon (sold)

Last edited by YDJ; 09-15-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Unread 09-17-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDJ View Post
I own the Jeep now.
Are you still trying to work this out?
I can get you pics next week. At any rate, the tube is cut in the middle and the hitch welded between the tubes and below the angle horizontal leg, if memory serves me right. The vertical leg of the angle is bolted to the rear cross member.
Thank you YDJ for the reply and yes I am still looking for more info. The pics get grainy when zoomed too much so I can't get much detail from whats out there. I talked to a guy who fabricates stuff for jeep but didn't get any response, yet. If I can get the measurements and the model of the receiver I may be able to get it done from a good welding shop.
You will be hearing a lot from me .
Thanks again for helping out.

Tags
jdemonto