Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > American Expedition Vehicles > AEV Miscellaneous

Unread 03-29-2017, 04:44 PM

Default To trailer or not to trailer

Hi fellow jeepers, I have a question I'm about to make a large purchase in the form of a newer JKU completely outfitted for over landing with Kitchen and things like that or I'm going to buy a JK eight and tow a teardrop trailer. So my question is. Does a 2011 supercharged 3.8 with the old four-speed automatic have enough power to tow a teardrop trailer like a Moby1 or should I purchase a newer 2015-ish JKU with a 5.7 hemi. I will tell you that this 2011 supercharge JK eight is an outstanding vehicle it has been completely redone for a Sema show and has all the best components in it like upgraded axles upgrade gears the whole 9 yards this is a serious machine at about $80,000. Please let me know your thoughts on whether it can tow a trailer and for all you people that tow a trailer where have you gone with it as I am really leaning toward having a trailer thanks for all your help.

Last edited by PapaJeeper; 03-29-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Unread 03-29-2017, 10:56 PM

Having owned almost every iteration of JK I can honestly say you can't compare a supercharged 3.8 or 3.6 to the 5.7 Hemi. The Hemi is just plain better and more drivable. The torque is immediate and makes a JKU on 35" or 37" tires feel like it should come that way in the first place. The supercharger versions of both the 3.8 and 3.6 always were quirky at times and never gave me confidence. My SC 3.6 would pull a trailer great off road but steep grades on highway would cause overheating. Go with the Hemi. IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 03-29-2017, 11:08 PM

hemi.
Unread 04-01-2017, 12:49 PM

Default To trailer or not to trailer

Unread 04-01-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnordsman View Post
Having owned almost every iteration of JK I can honestly say you can't compare a supercharged 3.8 or 3.6 to the 5.7 Hemi. The Hemi is just plain better and more drivable. The torque is immediate and makes a JKU on 35" or 37" tires feel like it should come that way in the first place. The supercharger versions of both the 3.8 and 3.6 always were quirky at times and never gave me confidence. My SC 3.6 would pull a trailer great off road but steep grades on highway would cause overheating. Go with the Hemi. IMHO

Thanks. That's the advice I was looking for!