Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 05-22-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporter View Post
thanks everyone for the advice. I'm definitely thinking I'll stay away from the shop and do the install myself if I can convince myself to pull the trigger on the 2.5" over the 3.5".

think it was the tire that led to the rubbing (MTR/Ks being taller than the small-running KM2s) or the wheel? I'm actually considering some of the ATX wheel options, so with the ridge grapplers I'd probably have the same issue. Was the rubbing bad enough that you ever did anything about it?

I think the combo of a full size 35 and the BS of 4.5 was what caused the rub. I don't remember for sure, but I think using spacers with the stock wheels comes out to around 4.75 BS. So I think a full 35 would have been fine that way. Mine didn't rub bad enough for ME to worry about. It really was very minor, and only at full stuff and full turn. My wife hated it, so I eventually changed to flat fenders.
Unread 05-25-2017, 03:41 PM

thanks Bthomas. Just to be safe, I think I'll go with a 4.75 BS rim instead of the 4.5 ATX ones I was considering. I had my eye on some pro comps with 4.75 BS anyway, and they are a much lighter weight wheel.
Unread 05-26-2017, 07:10 AM

I'm pretty sure everything else has been addressed, except for the 18" wheel suggestion. That is another huge red flag about that shop. There is absolutely no reason to try and move up from a 17" wheel, other than them trying to gouge you for it. The tires cost more for a larger rim, you sacrifice a little more ride quality because of less rubber between the wheel and pavement, and you also risk more wheel damage once you get them in the rocks. Sounds like the shop is more about making a mall crawler that an actual rock crawler.
AEV rear 5 gal. water tank
RK 2.5 X-Factor Lift
35x12.50R17
Kicker speaker takeover complete
5.38 gears, locked and loaded on Rubi's

'00 Supercharged Toyota 4x4
3" OME lift
Unread 05-31-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsukey View Post
I'm pretty sure everything else has been addressed, except for the 18" wheel suggestion. That is another huge red flag about that shop. There is absolutely no reason to try and move up from a 17" wheel, other than them trying to gouge you for it. The tires cost more for a larger rim, you sacrifice a little more ride quality because of less rubber between the wheel and pavement, and you also risk more wheel damage once you get them in the rocks. Sounds like the shop is more about making a mall crawler that an actual rock crawler.
He really seemed to be all about a certain "stance" that he thinks everyone is after. I got the impression he liked larger wheels with potentially more negative offset that stick out real far, which may be why his other customers are ripping their fenders off with the 2.5" lift. Just a hunch.

Anyway, I'm pairing some 4.75" BS 17" rims with the Ridge Grapplers. These should run super close to the AEV measurements, so hopefully I can throw the kit on myself and be good to go with no issues. Again thanks everybody for the advice!