Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 06-07-2017, 11:09 AM

AEVRAM3500, that's a great idea, being able to switch off all the off-road lights when you hit the low beams. This is super easy to do. One would either use two switches or one three way switch. For the master switch, the triger wire for the relay would be tied into the main power so the lights would be able to be turned on and off anytime. For the second switch, the triger would be tied into the high beam circuit. No procal needed here, just a switch pod, dam.

Last edited by Stormtroopers; 06-07-2017 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Unread 06-08-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtroopers View Post
AEVRAM3500, that's a great idea, being able to switch off all the off-road lights when you hit the low beams. This is super easy to do. One would either use two switches or one three way switch. For the master switch, the triger wire for the relay would be tied into the main power so the lights would be able to be turned on and off anytime. For the second switch, the triger would be tied into the high beam circuit. No procal needed here, just a switch pod, dam.
Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. I was aware on how to do that with relays and wiring. I have pretty much everything hooked up this way on my classic Chevy truck with 3-way switches. Offroad lights can be triggered via high beam or the switch that is also constant hot. However on the RAM I wanted to use either an SPOD or a switch pro to work with the AEV switch pod. And with those options, without hacking into the stock wiring or having a lot of extra relays somewhere, you could only trigger the lights either with ignition hot or constant hot via a switch. I could not find the info on being able to tap a high beam signal into a SPOD or switch pro. That is why I mentioned this option to AEV, so that this might become an option with just a simple setting on the Procal to activate this function, kind of like the fog lights on with high beams.

Another thing with two switches for this function is space. The AEV pod would give me 6 switches and I have the 5 AUX switches in the dash.
They fill up really quick.
AEV: Air compressor, front locker, rear locker, LED cornering lights, LED offroad lights, pencil beam lights -> full
OEM AUX: LED b/u lights, LED bed lights, second air compressor, rock lights, and one that I need to figure out what to do with.

So this already fills up two switch banks, so I do not really have any more room to put more switches without looking out of place.

Hope it makes a little more sense now!
Unread 06-09-2017, 07:41 AM

AEVRAM3500, I guess I don't know enough about the spod, and switchpro, and how there hooked up. They do seam pretty cool and I will look into them more. My plan is/was to use the over head console for most of my switches. I don't have all the options so there is some room up there.

I had never thought to use the high beam circuit before, that is such a good idea. So unless that procal becomes available (even less likely for me being a 2012), I will wire up my lights like your old truck. The smartest thing I did was wire one master power switch to my aftermarket lights, one and done, but your idea is cleaner and better.

Thanks
Unread 06-09-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEVRAM3500 View Post
Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it. I was aware on how to do that with relays and wiring. I have pretty much everything hooked up this way on my classic Chevy truck with 3-way switches. Offroad lights can be triggered via high beam or the switch that is also constant hot. However on the RAM I wanted to use either an SPOD or a switch pro to work with the AEV switch pod. And with those options, without hacking into the stock wiring or having a lot of extra relays somewhere, you could only trigger the lights either with ignition hot or constant hot via a switch. I could not find the info on being able to tap a high beam signal into a SPOD or switch pro. That is why I mentioned this option to AEV, so that this might become an option with just a simple setting on the Procal to activate this function, kind of like the fog lights on with high beams.

Another thing with two switches for this function is space. The AEV pod would give me 6 switches and I have the 5 AUX switches in the dash.

They fill up really quick.

AEV: Air compressor, front locker, rear locker, LED cornering lights, LED offroad lights, pencil beam lights -> full

OEM AUX: LED b/u lights, LED bed lights, second air compressor, rock lights, and one that I need to figure out what to do with.

So this already fills up two switch banks, so I do not really have any more room to put more switches without looking out of place.

Hope it makes a little more sense now!

Why would you run 2 separate air compressors or have your main lights on anything other than high beam switch?

A dual compressor would work with lockers while also offering enough power to air up tires. Or you could run one of the belt driven ones off you motor and not worry about where to mount an ARB compressor.

I'd also run my backup lights into the reverse lamps.

If you buy or borrow an Autel you can reprogram the computer to allow fogs and highs on at the same time. Then I'd run my cornering lights into my fog lamps.

This way you only need the factory aux switches for lockers, compressor, bed lights if you want, and maybe some rock lights underneath.

Also, be aware that the factory 1 and 2 aux switches are always hot and 3-5 are ignition hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Unread 06-09-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTEngineer View Post
Why would you run 2 separate air compressors or have your main lights on anything other than high beam switch?

A dual compressor would work with lockers while also offering enough power to air up tires. Or you could run one of the belt driven ones off you motor and not worry about where to mount an ARB compressor.

I'd also run my backup lights into the reverse lamps.

If you buy or borrow an Autel you can reprogram the computer to allow fogs and highs on at the same time. Then I'd run my cornering lights into my fog lamps.

This way you only need the factory aux switches for lockers, compressor, bed lights if you want, and maybe some rock lights underneath.

Also, be aware that the factory 1 and 2 aux switches are always hot and 3-5 are ignition hot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Two compressors because a small ARB was installed already into one of these cooler compartments in the crew cab floor when I bought the truck. It is nice for the lockers but not enough to air up tires. Since it has been installed so nicely I do not want to take it out. Therefore a second outside compressor for the airing up tires and running power tools.

I agree if you run the offroad lights on the road only, you might be able to hook them to the high beams only. However this is not legal, so they have to be seperate from the OEM lights (at least in Maine) to be legal. Technically you are not allowed to run them on the road anyways. Also for offroading I want them intependant of the stock lights. Therefore I want a dual mode setup so I can choose between high beam trigger or constant hot.

Fog lights are for fog and street legal, same thing here, a cornering light is too bright to run in fog and too bright to run on the road with oncoming traffic. Therefore seperate again. I want to retain the street legal fog lights to really use in fog, especially since the HID headlights no hid in stock projector, full retrofit with correct projector) sometimes are too bright in fog, requiring to go to parking lights and fog lights. That could not be done if I did not have dedicated and legal fog lights.

And to the AUX switches, sorry but you are wrong on that one. I just played around with mine and programmed them. In my 2015 3500 I can configure ALL 5 switches to either be constant hot or ignition hot. And it works changing them. I have 1,2 and 3,4,5 ignition hot for the compressor and lockers (like you mentioned). BUT I have tried to switch them around and you can do any switch IGN or HOT. It is in the commercial menu and works nice. They are fully configurable. When I bought the truck 1 through 4 were IGN hot and 5 was hot. The previous owner must have configured them this way.

Oh and same with back up lights, they are nice up camp and offroading but for street use the LED ones are way too bright. No need to get others mad at you. Therfore I would want to be able to turn them off, have them come on in reverse when backing up in the dark without others around and have a constant hot feature for offroading or working behind the truck.

The fogs are already programmed to work on high beam via the ProCal.
Unread 06-09-2017, 03:03 PM

Gotcha.

Cops don't hassle people for lights down here so it's not that big of a deal for me.

As for the Aux switches the dealer told me that info. I thought you could only program the function and not the power. That's great to know now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk