Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > American Expedition Vehicles > Expeditions and Back Country Adventures using AEV Products

Unread 09-16-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
Camp at Rubicon Springs
Great pictures. The Rubicon trail is a must-do for anyone who loves Jeeping and camping. Always good to see a really nicely built up Jeep used the way it was designed for. How did everything work on the trail (RTT, awning, fridge/freezer, etc.)? Anything that you would change/recommend? Here's a link to more pictures of the Rubicon trail. http://forum.aev-conversions.com/sho...t=9227&page=23
Unread 09-16-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenfuture View Post
Just out of curiosity would a stock Rubicon be able to make it across the Rubicon?
The simple answer is yes, a stock Rubicon is perfectly capable of running the Rubicon trail. Your level of off road experience and that of the group that you run the trail with will determine how scratch/dent free you are at the end of the trail. There are more than a few rock gardens with large boulders, ledges and drop offs along the trail. Bigger tires and a lift kit would certainly help, but Jeep tests each new model on the trail. That's what the Jeep Trail Rated badge is all about. At the very least, I'd recommend AEV's rear diff skid plate. Next on the list would be a set of their diff covers. After that, run the trail and see what needs to be upgraded/replaced at the end. At least one vehicle in your group should have a winch and we usually select one person to carry a Hi-Lift jack. It's a great trail.
Unread 09-16-2016, 11:45 AM

I think running a stock Rubicon would make for an unenjoyable trip,especially if you don't like the sound of rocks and metal scraping. Also if running stock a great spotter would be a must. I guess you could do it during a jamboree where they have lots of spotters and rock stackers. I think you'd be happier with a lift and 33-35's.
Unread 09-16-2016, 05:25 PM

Absolutely .
Unread 09-17-2016, 08:42 PM

Is camping required to do the trail or its optional ? I am sure you get to enjoy more with camping but I am curious how Tj guys are fitting all the stuff in the jeep especially with 2 passengers (wife and a Kid).
Unread 09-17-2016, 09:45 PM

no motels on the trail and it would be a long ass day to make it thru in a day. So yes camping but there is awesome camp spots. You need to be totally self sufficient on the trail as help is not a phone call away as there is no cell service.

Last edited by jeffd; 09-17-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Unread 09-19-2016, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathindian View Post
Is camping required to do the trail or its optional ? I am sure you get to enjoy more with camping but I am curious how Tj guys are fitting all the stuff in the jeep especially with 2 passengers (wife and a Kid).
It would be tight be quite possible. I did a 5 day, multiple destinations, camping trip out of a 2015 Challenger SRT8. It probably has similar cargo room as a TJ.
cholt@aev-conversions.com
Unread 10-09-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenfuture View Post
Just out of curiosity would a stock Rubicon be able to make it across the Rubicon?
We had an LJ on 33" in our group make it...but he's wheeled this trail for 30 years...

FCA was doing a commercial while we were there...and a bone stock Grand Cherokee was doing the trail same direction as us from Loon Lake...and an army of rock stackers accompanied them...

So to answer your question?... I would say yes, but expect some rocker panel damage, and check your steering components before heading out on the highway...
Unread 10-09-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexjc View Post
Great pictures. The Rubicon trail is a must-do for anyone who loves Jeeping and camping. Always good to see a really nicely built up Jeep used the way it was designed for. How did everything work on the trail (RTT, awning, fridge/freezer, etc.)? Anything that you would change/recommend? Here's a link to more pictures of the Rubicon trail. http://forum.aev-conversions.com/sho...t=9227&page=23
ARB fridge is a blessing...no ice to carry. Helps to have dual Optima yellowtops with an isolator (which I did)...and next time, I'd leave the rooftop tent at home to be lighter & lower cog...

I'm going to run it with my JK6 next year with 40's...it'll be easier. Just shipped my Anvil JKU to Hawaii...
Unread 10-09-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
We had an LJ on 33" in our group make it...but he's wheeled this trail for 30 years...

FCA was doing a commercial while we were there...and a bone stock Grand Cherokee was doing the trail same direction as us from Loon Lake...and an army of rock stackers accompanied them...

So to answer your question?... I would say yes, but expect some rocker panel damage, and check your steering components before heading out on the highway...
An LJ on 33's should be better than a stock jk. I'm jonsing for an LJ.