Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 06-06-2017, 07:42 AM

Default Paying for a recall because of bumper?

Yesterday I took my 2016 JK200 in for service at my local dealer. Planet Jeep in Flagstaff, AZ they are a AEV dealer and who I ordered and bought my JK200 from last year. The service advisor let me know there was a recall for the airbag sensor wire near the bumper. He called me several hours later and informed me that because I have a AEV bumper with a winch that I would need to pay out of pocket for the labor of replacing the sensor! At $350 Bucks! What else is everyone doing that has turn key AEV rigs? Are you guys paying out of pocket? I think this is ridiculous my Jeep has less than 6k miles on it.
Unread 06-06-2017, 08:01 AM

I work at a dealer and have extensive experience with this recall. We too are an AEV dealer. The issue the tech may be having is getting the grill off to get the headlights out to access the front left and right crash sensors (the wiring has to be modified in there as part of the recall). I've had it where I leave the grill in the jeep and do the recall through the headlight hole in the grill as well as removing the grill to have better access. (The latter being the preferred way)

I'm sure he's trying to do it by the book and remove the grill which is near impossible being that the winch sits millimeters away from it and the grill has clips that stick out and inch or two. I have done it where I removed the AEV skid plate took the winch mounting bolts loose and move the winch forward slightly to gain more access to remove that grill.

The amount that they're charging you is probably just labor to remove the winch and front bumper to be able to remove the grill to do the recall.

I would maybe advise your service writer to have the technician get a little bit more creative on doing this recall especially being that they purchased an AEV built vehicle from an AEV dealer.

Thanks
Dustin H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by redrockjk; 06-06-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Unread 06-06-2017, 03:34 PM

Take your winch off yourself, then bring it back to them.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Unread 06-06-2017, 07:37 PM

If you bought a turnkey AEV from the dealer, they should cover it. They made the mark up on the vehicle when they sold it. As mentioned before, they should get creative in their service or eat it.

I have a 10th anniversary bumper with a Zeon 10S winch. No extra charge from my dealer, but not sure if mine obstructs the grill as much as an AEV.

Last edited by SwatMedic; 06-06-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Unread 06-07-2017, 05:50 PM

True.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Unread 06-09-2017, 07:09 AM

Great I have a aftermarket Angry birds grill that sits right up against my AEV Bumper, Bet I have to take the bumper and grill off in order to get this recall done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jw-IMG_3903.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	22556  
Unread 06-12-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Great I have a aftermarket Angry birds grill that sits right up against my AEV Bumper, Bet I have to take the bumper and grill off in order to get this recall done.

I can guarantee they will need to