Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Ram, Prospector, Recruit Parts & Product Discussion

Unread 06-12-2017, 03:25 PM

Default 37x13.5R17 Toyo MT with the AEV lift and wheels

I can't find an E-Rated 37x12.5R17 with a significantly greater payload rating than the BFG AT so I'm considering trying out the 37x13.5R17 Toyo MTs. I'd prefer an all Terrain but given the lack of options I'm looking at MTs.

Has anyone tried them on the AEV 8.5 inch RIMs with the AEV lift.

How much rubbing are you getting, any pictures?

Last edited by rhljk; 06-12-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Unread 06-13-2017, 09:53 AM

Unfortunately, 12.5 Load E with a 126+ AT's are unicorns for our heavy trucks.

You'll need to go 13.5's to get the E load rating in 126+ index.

However, if you decide to jump to 20's, there are a number of choices in the 12.5 and 13.5 widths AND you're not regulated to MT's or limited AT choices.
Unread 06-13-2017, 01:05 PM

For sure get the 13.50's way nicer tire for these big trucks.
Unread 06-13-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaladam View Post
Unfortunately, 12.5 Load E with a 126+ AT's are unicorns for our heavy trucks.

You'll need to go 13.5's to get the E load rating in 126+ index.

However, if you decide to jump to 20's, there are a number of choices in the 12.5 and 13.5 widths AND you're not regulated to MT's or limited AT choices.
I was looking at 20" wheels last night. In an hour+ of internet searching I wasn't able to find a 20x8.5 - 20x10 wheel that would look OK on a camper/expeditiony type pickup and had a decent weight rating . Everything I found had a load capacity of 2000lbs, only came narrow, and/or was (IMHO) over styled.

I'm going to have to do some more homework on backspacing also.

I'm guessing I'll try the Toyos in 37x13.5R17 and see how much rubbing results. I don't mind a little rubbing on smooth components at full lock or compression, but if clearances prove too problematic to solve, I'll take a 2nd look at the 20" option and possibly custom wheels.

With the camper and a full load of fluids the current BFGs just don't look happy and so I'm going to have to do something. Fortunately my need for a full load of fluids (80 gallons water, 61 gallons diesel) is pretty rare, so I can take some time solving the problem.
Unread 06-14-2017, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhljk View Post
I was looking at 20" wheels last night. In an hour+ of internet searching I wasn't able to find a 20x8.5 - 20x10 wheel that would look OK on a camper/expeditiony type pickup and had a decent weight rating . Everything I found had a load capacity of 2000lbs, only came narrow, and/or was (IMHO) over styled.

I'm going to have to do some more homework on backspacing also.

I'm guessing I'll try the Toyos in 37x13.5R17 and see how much rubbing results. I don't mind a little rubbing on smooth components at full lock or compression, but if clearances prove too problematic to solve, I'll take a 2nd look at the 20" option and possibly custom wheels.

With the camper and a full load of fluids the current BFGs just don't look happy and so I'm going to have to do something. Fortunately my need for a full load of fluids (80 gallons water, 61 gallons diesel) is pretty rare, so I can take some time solving the problem.
The Super Swamper Irok radial in 37x12.50R17 also has a higher load rating. Maybe worth checking out!
Unread 06-14-2017, 06:11 AM

I just put the 37x12.5R17 Too MTs on the dodge. I really like them, they do feel bigger than the 37 Trail Grapplers I just replaced.

On a 3rd gen dodge, not on AEV wheels.

I think the tire is a great choice and they are not that aggressive of a Mud tire for noise, wear and all that. IMHO.
17 JKU, ult 60
Unread 06-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Answering my own question

1) The Toyo MT 37x13.5 are really, really close to rubbing at full lock on the swaybar. But in very limited use coming home from the tire shop, once at full lock in each direction, haven't noticed any rubbing. Obviously things can change at compression, extension, etc. I'll have to do more testing...

2) Truck seems much happier with 60 PSI in the E rate tires vs the BFG ATs. Some bounce seems to be gone, very subjectively, the tires seem quieter than the ATs. Truck seems to roll more freely.

3) Extra load capacity is something like 775 lbs per wheel. Adding a lot of margin. Otherwise I was pretty much at capacity or over (depending on fluid level) on both axles. This is primarily why I swapped.

4) Still pulling to the right, about the same as with the BFGs, will be working on that next...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ToyoSide.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	22614  Click image for larger version

Name:	ToyoFront.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	22615  
Unread 06-18-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhljk View Post
Answering my own question

1) The Toyo MT 37x13.5 are really, really close to rubbing at full lock on the swaybar. But in very limited use coming home from the tire shop, once at full lock in each direction, haven't noticed any rubbing. Obviously things can change at compression, extension, etc. I'll have to do more testing...

2) Truck seems much happier with 60 PSI in the E rate tires vs the BFG ATs. Some bounce seems to be gone, very subjectively, the tires seem quieter than the ATs. Truck seems to roll more freely.

3) Extra load capacity is something like 775 lbs per wheel. Adding a lot of margin. Otherwise I was pretty much at capacity or over (depending on fluid level) on both axles. This is primarily why I swapped.

4) Still pulling to the right, about the same as with the BFGs, will be working on that next...
Looks really nice!
Unread 06-19-2017, 06:43 AM

Default 37x13.5R17 Toyo MT with the AEV lift and wheels

Yours looks like a 3500. Believe they have slightly different clearance due to springs. So you maybe ok, pretty sure I read that on here somewhere. On my 2500 and 12.5 tires i run rub paint off sway bar and radius arm frequent enough they don't rust. But not bad enough to worry even if I went 13.5 and taller 37" tire (13.5 is a taller tire than the 12.5 by toyo specs). I'll probably end up 13.5 soon. 12.5 toyo mt are like unicorns. Did find them in stock a few months ago but my tires have life still. Maybe one season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Katla -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo R/T -- 315/70r17 Nokian Hakkapeliitta -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100
Unread 06-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapitihunter View Post
Yours looks like a 3500. Believe they have slightly different clearance due to springs. So you maybe ok, pretty sure I read that on here somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did notice a little rubbing yesterday on the right front radius arm. It was after a long highway stretch in 100 degree heat and the tire pressure was up. I'm sure there will be more rubbing under other conditions. They are a tight fit.

I tried to ramp my truck to check compression clearance. A rear wheel lifted off the ground long before the front got to the bump stops and about at the point I was getting uncomfortable with the lean as I had the camper on the back. Maybe someday when I have the camper off I can dump the airbags and see if I can get the front suspension to really cycle.

The Toyo 37x12.5s are D rated and don't have nearly the load rating of the E rated 13.5s. They probably are better tires off road, air'd down.