Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 09-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Wink

I'm hoping AEV has not chimed in because they are busy putting together a nice press release announcing their DS.

P.s. I am officially holding my breath.
Unread 09-15-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
I am also waiting. My stock front is starting to make noises since my boot tore, and there is no way to keep it greased well. Hopefully this will be out soon, or I may only have 2wd this winter.
OK Jon, you win...
Add me to the bandwagon!

Unread 09-15-2010, 07:10 PM

don't stress about the boot too much. in on my third factory front driveshaft, torn and grease free for probably 20k miles, some on extreme trails....

it'll keep going, just not pretty.
Unread 09-15-2010, 09:46 PM

I wouldnt say it will keep going. I have seems ds's with torn boots seize up. You wheel, jeep suspension cycles, DS won't expand/contract and you either push the DS through the transfer case, or pull so hard on it the rzeppa joint fails and the DS is dragging on the skids. I have seen it happen both ways, breaking the rzeppa is the better way cause you can pull the shaft and hopefully get off the trail, if it goes through the transfer case it's an expensive recovery
Unread 09-16-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-squared View Post
don't stress about the boot too much. in on my third factory front driveshaft, torn and grease free for probably 20k miles, some on extreme trails....

it'll keep going, just not pretty.

Ha! Ha! You say don't stress, then mention you are on your third drive line
I've picked up a vibration and the drive line has some play in it, so I'm pretty sure it's more than a torn boot.
Regardless, it would be nice to know if Dave is going to bring a drive line to market very soon, or should we go to plan B?
Unread 09-16-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparNorm View Post
OK Jon, you win...
Add me to the bandwagon!
I just wish that Jeep would have made the driveshaft slightly narrower to begin with. I think about 1/2" smaller in diameter and it would be fine.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
I just wish that Jeep would have made the driveshaft slightly narrower to begin with. I think about 1/2" smaller in diameter and it would be fine.
It's only about 1.250" in diameter when it comes out of the joint at the transfer case. I suppose the mass has some balancing quantities.
Unread 09-16-2010, 12:17 PM

For you guys waiting for the release of AEV's drive shaft why don't you pick up a spare OEM part from the many JKers that have already replaced theirs? I picked up a 3 month old take off for $20 on Craig's List. It took about an hour to install and now I'm good to go until next spring. Hopefully AEV will have released their unit by then. <poke>

Unread 09-16-2010, 01:24 PM

I have extra stock driveshafts laying around the garage I have been picking up for free, but I don't have a lot of time to work on the Jeep, so I would rather just fix it and be able to forget it. Maybe when I fix it I could install the wheel spacers I have had in my garage for about 6 months now.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.
Unread 09-16-2010, 03:22 PM

I already went to an aftermarket DS, so my stock flanges and hardware are long gone... I am looking for a stocker now.