Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > Brute and Brute Double Cab Pickup Discussion

Unread 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM

Oh heck. That's even better.

Damn, I might have to do that if it comes to pass. It doesn't look quite as "cool" as a normal Brute bed, but it's WAY more useful that way.

Wonder if there's a way to sanely "hang" a Hi-Lift under the bed somehow? Or heck, I guess sticking it beside the spare up against the headache rack would work well, too. Wow, I really dig this.

--Donnie
Unread 09-20-2010, 01:53 PM

Dave, you think you could post a 90 degree profile picture? I'm curious what one would look like with a shorter version of this bed on an LJ length frame (no frame extension, shorter bed, Brute cab). I'm guessing someone like jsherb might be able to fairly accurately photoshop that if I asked nicely.

--Donnie
Unread 09-20-2010, 04:08 PM

This is awesome....body-colored powdercoated tray, maybe Line-Xed inside, dual spares against the rack, some fenders and storage boxes underneath, and a rear bumper with taillights. That will make a great work-truck.
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rus View Post
This is awesome....body-colored powdercoated tray, maybe Line-Xed inside, dual spares against the rack, some fenders and storage boxes underneath, and a rear bumper with taillights. That will make a great work-truck.
Not sure that Power Coating will last very long on aluminum, but anodizing will.
H1 rear bumpers were powder coated aluminum, it fell off in just a few months during actual use.
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV Dave View Post
The floor is an extrusion, so you would probably loose some critical strength the way it is designed, but to be honest, a 37" tire placed directly behind the driver was barely visible. The mirrors do need to be extended slightly however.

Attachment 1601

dh
That's a 37 you got up there in the picture!? You weren't kidding when you said that bed was huge!! My minds been racing at all the goodies it'll be able to carry. Tj towing mirrors!!

got called this am that my frame kit shipped. Got all the parts online to start the mods. I just gotta get home!!!
Unread 09-21-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV Dave View Post
The traybed nearly doubles the useable space and is half the weight. It may also offer a considerable savings.
I hate to be the politically incorrect dissenting vote here ... but ...

what you might gain in function, you lose ten times over in form.

That product is aesthetically challenged in my humble opinion.

Carry on.
Unread 09-21-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboy View Post
I hate to be the politically incorrect dissenting vote here ... but ...

what you might gain in function, you lose ten times over in form.

That product is aesthetically challenged in my humble opinion.

Carry on.
Actually he is trying to accurately judge interest, so it's better to be a critic than a fan boy who later doesn't buy the product.
That being said, I should have been clearer, as my post was unclear, it NEEDS to be anodized to a suitable color, I would not buy it in brite aluminum.
Unread 09-21-2010, 11:57 AM

Nah! The aluminum gives it the true Aussie look!!!! What I'm going to be using it for (work/play) I like the aluminum finish. Something that could be scratched would look like crap over time. It'll see harsh weather up here in Ak...
Unread 09-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Just paint the cab and fenders silver

I'm a bit concerned about the MgCl they use on the roads, so lets just say we're looking into it.

Traybed look is not for everyone, its very un-USA and very international. Would be a good way to blend in in many countries.

dh
Unread 09-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrmtj View Post
Nah! The aluminum gives it the true Aussie look!!!! What I'm going to be using it for (work/play) I like the aluminum finish. Something that could be scratched would look like crap over time. It'll see harsh weather up here in Ak...
Well, I'm not an Aussie (but my lockers are!)
An Anodized finish can be scratched, but it's much hardier than paint or powder as it's impregnated into the the aluminum...and I hate brite shiny Jeeps. In the SoCal Sun you might start a forest fire or blind the driver next to you...