Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > J8 MILSPEC Vehicles

Unread 01-25-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparNorm View Post
Sorry, I still write 2011 until about Feb...

While they focused on turning the rest of the Jeep lineup into cars, the one vehicle that sustained not only Jeep, but all of Chrysler itself, was seriously neglected.
yeah I've had to change a lot of 11's to 12's in the last 3 weeks

still don't get it ... they've said (if I'm not mistaken) that they wanted to sell MORE of the iconic Jeep Wrangler internationally ... yes it takes time and effort to expand the plant, that's precisely why it should be a priority with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLC View Post
Just think of all the problems they would cause themselves if they made a Jeep pick-up and put diesels in Wranglers ...
diesels Wranglers are sold overseas and with the American and European emission standards converging there's hope for a domestic version

as for as a Jeep pickup, seems like they could make this at another plant ... I'll probably get "blacklisted" for this but if you took the Dodge Ram half-ton truck, fit a solid front axle under it and put a 7-slot grill on the front end you make these "Jeep" trucks at the Dodge Ram plant and sell them like "hotcakes" for a premium
Unread 01-26-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander View Post
I have been stalking...not in the usual casual way, but more in the creepy, late-at-night way the J8's and info about them. I've sent half a' dozen emails to AEV for more information about having one built, and they have never responded, then I read that Dave says that Chrysler has canceled the deal, but then I see that you say you're getting one in couple months (which leads me to believe that they are being built as AEV claims 6mos build time). So I decided to come out of the dark and join the forum.

Are you really getting one, and do you have any idea why it has been so hard to get AEV to respond????
sorry I did not see your response to my thread. I did get mine from overseas. and it will more than likely stay there. I do plan to bring it here to the US for a short period of time but that's not in the near future. I think what AEV would offer if they had those roll out of their facilities would be much nicer then what I'm getting "That's an assumption" my J8 is not legal in the US because it lacks US spec compliance.

I personally think that this would be a better program to AEV (if they can get the ball rolling on it again) than the Brute Double cab or even keep both.

I have personally drove a couple J8s and recently drove a RHD one, I can tell you that this vehicle is no Joke. no insulation. really loud. it's not something you would want to drive everyday unless your willing to give away some creature comforts. most of the units I drove did not have a radio. no AC. so really I think if AEV offered this vehicle it would be much better than whats available to governments. The J8 sits 2"s taller than the JK. it pulls strong compared to the 3.8 V6. That's all I can say about it from what I drove. I really like the 3dr but unfortunately, it's not offered with a hardtop. I got the 4 door with a hardtop. also got AEV front and rear bumpers for it. picking up the corners next and shipping them all out.

I will start a build thread for my J8 once I have it in hand.
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM

If you swap out the front axle in that thing give me first dibs bro
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo2aY View Post
I did get mine from overseas.
Do you mind telling us in what country you got it and how it was possible?
i.e. do you work for the govt. / military? or can anyone on the street buy one in this country.

I'm a citizen of the world anyway, and plan to take my next vehicle around the world. If I can't buy what I want in North America, I'll buy & register it elsewhere.

-Dan
--
WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
Unread 11-15-2012, 03:21 PM

Hi guys,

I picked up my 3 door J8. I need a softop. Anyone know where I could possibly get a top for it. The top is not the same between the 3 door J8 and (4 door JK / 5 door J8)
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:50 PM

That's awesome! Your photos must not be loading...... Lol.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeg576?feature=mhee
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:20 AM

My understanding is that Bestop makes the tops for Jeep these days. That's why Bestop doesn't sell their own "normal" JK top, only the one with the angled rear (licensing agreement...you have to get the normal shaped one at your dealer). That said, Bestop probably isn't allowed to sell you a J8 top for the same reason, even though it's not going to show up in the dealer parts lineup anywhere.

I'd try contacting Bestop dealers. Find someone who is small enough to have someone answering the phones who knows these things and does the buying for their company. They might have a rep at Bestop they can talk to about it and figure something out. Failing that, try dealers in the countries that have the J8 available. Or see if someone at AEV would be kind enough to at least find you the Jeep part number so you can try US dealers and see if they can get it anyway. *shrug*

--Donnie
Unread 11-16-2012, 01:06 PM

I don't think Bestop makes the tops for those. The J8s are assembled in Egypt. I think the price of shipping to get those over there would be high. but I could be wrong.

AEV, do you by any chance have a top laying around for one of those?

Unread 11-16-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo2aY View Post
I don't think Bestop makes the tops for those. The J8s are assembled in Egypt. I think the price of shipping to get those over there would be high. but I could be wrong.
Can you tell us which country you are in and how you managed to get a J8?

Thanks,
-Dan
--
WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:07 AM

Hi Dan, i got it from the J8 factory in Egypt.