Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > J8 MILSPEC Vehicles

Unread 11-17-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
Can you tell us which country you are in and how you managed to get a J8?

Thanks,
-Dan
These are available to the general public in parts of Europe and Asia.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.
Unread 11-19-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
These are available to the general public in parts of Europe and Asia.
What countries?
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo2aY View Post
What countries?
About 3 years ago sites like Allpar and Jalopnik were reporting they were avialable to order by the general public. I think it was all of Europe (including the U.K) Asia, and the Middle East.

Here is a link to one of several reports.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...he-middle-east

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.
Unread 11-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I don't think Bestop makes the tops for those. The J8s are assembled in Egypt. I think the price of shipping to get those over there would be high. but I could be wrong.
As far as I know, ALL of the parts are shipped from Toledo to AAV in Egypt, as knock down kits and, as you note, assembled in Egypt. So it shouldn't be too big of a cost to get the tops, the only factor would be the top source, since the J8's don't seem to be using the Bestop, but another (Egypt?) source.

Such as these UN Jeeps in Haiti.

Unread 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
About 3 years ago sites like Allpar and Jalopnik were reporting they were avialable to order by the general public. I think it was all of Europe (including the U.K) Asia, and the Middle East.

Here is a link to one of several reports.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...he-middle-east
This is not true for the middle east. I know for a fact that outside the military of the Gulf countries there's only 3 running around freely. One green JK75 variant in Bahrain. 1 tan JK73 variant in UAE. And my dark green (originally tan) JK73 in Saudi. I have seen all three. I have verified those numbers while i was in the market looking for one instead of waiting for a build. Europe and Asia might be a different story. There's a video of a guy with a modded JK73 on YouTube. It seems like it's in Europe somewhere. I really like the lines of the JK73 and how unique it is. But because of this top issue, im getting really frustrated. If it was a JK75 then it would use the same top as the JK74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparNorm View Post
As far as I know, ALL of the parts are shipped from Toledo to AAV in Egypt, as knock down kits and, as you note, assembled in Egypt. So it shouldn't be too big of a cost to get the tops, the only factor would be the top source, since the J8's don't seem to be using the Bestop, but another (Egypt?) source.

Such as these UN Jeeps in Haiti.

Thats very helpful. Chrysler middle east is contacting the HQ to check if there's a part number or kit for it. Im sure bestop can make a custom one. I really love their fabric.

Now let me give you a quick review about this Jeep. Unbiased as i have 3 other different wranglers.

What do i like:

Its simple (simplicity is always a good thing)
It has a Hemi in it (i love the power output) feels just right under the weight of the J8

Handles weight very well.

The rest is basically a normal JK.

What I don't like :

Parts availability here and in the US. If you cut the JK73 top, your screwed. Im pretty sure it will be expensive too. However, the rest of the parts should be the same as the JK or something from Chryslers line up.

When bed is empty, it feels bouncy. Very stiff in the rear.

No radio no carpets on long journeys could be somewhat a problem. No floor insulation. The floor gets hot very quickly. Those creature comforts are easily added but with that price tag. You would at least want to get a radio.

My J8 has a front and rear AEV bumpers going on it. AEV corners are also to be installed. I have finished installing the rock rails and KM2s. Also threw in a Sony HU with two dash speakers. No amplifiers no crazy stuff. Just some sound for those long drives. I plan on getting the seat covers and roof rack for added storage. A set of IPF lights will complement the front bumper. The rear bumper will be missing the swing out gate. Because the J8 has a stronger tailgate. The rear bumper will also need to be modified to clear the rear leaf spring mounts. Truck light LED headlights will be installed as well. I will probably bedline the bed and install an insulated carpet on top for when I'm not using the bed. And probably return its color to Tan.

That's all i have for it as for modds. As of this message, the J8 has 700km on the dash.

Thanks!
Unread 11-19-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Thats very helpful. Chrysler middle east is contacting the HQ to check if there's a part number or kit for it. Im sure bestop can make a custom one. I really love their fabric.
You might also want to contact JGMS since they are one of the Jeep J8 distributors in Europe, and they are also suposedly distributing them to the government in the US to see if you can get any info on their tops.

http://www.jgms.com/

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
Unread 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM

I thought I saw one of these being field tested today in a picture of the middle east conflict .
Unread 11-20-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
You might also want to contact JGMS since they are one of the Jeep J8 distributors in Europe, and they are also suposedly distributing them to the government in the US to see if you can get any info on their tops.

http://www.jgms.com/
I have contacted Carl, hes their technical support manager. And after our discussion, he couldn't offer any help. He suggested to contact the mfg but even they can't sell it straight to me. Interesting world we live in wouldn't you say!
Unread 11-20-2012, 06:03 PM

Is your J8 ever coming to the states?
Unread 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM

Thanks a lot for the info on your J8.

Purely out of curiosity, can you tell me the form of the VIN number?
Maybe you could post it here and replace the last 3 digits with XXX
(The last three actually identify your specific vehicle - everything before that identifies the manufacturer, etc.)

I'm curious to see if it's clearly identified differently than a regular JK.

Thanks,
-Dan
--
WikiOverland.org - Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.