Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > American Expedition Vehicles > COUNTERFEIT AEV PRODUCT WARNINGS

Unread 03-02-2016, 09:59 AM

AEV has pretty much told us multiple time that if they could make wheels here they would, I dont think the Chinese comment was harsh its just fact that their products are inferior. Have you ever used Chinese steel made body parts on anything? Ask around about how the Omix/RR CJ tailgates work out and thats a very simple item that frequently has issues.

From 2010:
"Guys, our wheels are AEV's only product made outside of the USA and they are made in China. I know that might be disapointing to some but here's the explanation:

AEV Wheels used to made in the USA, but here is the deal on why virtually every wheel you'll find is made in China. About 6-7 years ago China's govt offered a 17% subsidy to the cast aluminum wheel market which meant that not only was the labor virtually free compared to the US companies, but the govt was knocking 17% off the top of the quotes. Because the US companies couldn't compete, it caused all the smaller US companies to sell their casting equipment and tooling to Chinese companies and act as brokers for their current customers.

The 17% subsidy ended last year I believe, however now their are no more US based companies (that I'm aware of, and I've looked hard) that will do low volume wheels like Hutchinson, AEV, Walker, etc...low volume meaning not an OE program for one of the automakers. American Racing and Prime both have cast wheel plants in the US, but they are for OE programs only. Alcoa did have a cast wheel plant here, but shut it down last year.

As far as wheels go, the Chinese have really good wheel plants and some not so good. The Savegre is made in an OE plant that makes Audi, VW, Chevrolet wheels and they are actually exceptional quality. Basically if aftermarket wheels are really cheap, you can count they're made in a not so good plant in China and if they are really nice, they are made in a modern facility in China that holds standards. You can get good quality in China, you just need to pay for it.

Hope that helps,

dh"

Last edited by Will Cabell; 03-02-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Unread 03-02-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cabell View Post
AEV has pretty much told us multiple time that if they could make wheels here they would, I dont think the Chinese comment was harsh its just fact that their products are inferior. Have you ever used Chinese steel made body parts on anything? Ask around about how the Omix/RR CJ tailgates work out and thats a very simple item that frequently has issues.
I think that was exactly what Dave's point was, is that it comes down to fit and finish. AEV works with QMC who design OEM parts, and stamp parts that are used on the assembly line, which is a testament to the quality of the fit and finish of the products. One RR can make the claim that Jeep is using their hoods on the assembly line and they fit as well, or better than stock then I might change my opinion about their hood.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.
Unread 03-02-2016, 11:16 AM

I have a RR hood the fit is good but not as perfect as Aev

Jason
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Baja Yellow
Dual Sport 106
Unread 03-03-2016, 08:34 AM

Of course it's not as good fitting, but to tar all Chinese products with one brush is down right silly when you, yourself have products being made in china.
Unread 03-03-2016, 09:02 AM

Kojack you must work for Rugged Ridge or Smittybuilt
Unread 03-03-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Of course it's not as good fitting, but to tar all Chinese products with one brush is down right silly when you, yourself have products being made in china.
AEV only has wheels made in China, and that isn't by choice, other than a choice between a Chinese wheel, or no wheel at all. Even with them being made in China there are quality issues. I remember hearing not long ago that there was a container of wheels that AEV rejected for quality issues back to the manufacturer that the ended up in Canada.

AEV has had a very strong position against Chinese products and labor for a long time because of the number of cheap knock off products that keep pouring out of there that really are a poor fit and finish, but are sold as AEV items. AEV goes to the trouble of sourcing their raw materials (metal, bolts, plastic, molds, etc...) from US companies, and of US materials.

As per AEV here is the reason why they make one product in China.

Quote:
China. And for the record, we’re not happy about it. At AEV, we remain committed to American manufacturing, and we would much rather have our wheels manufactured in the US. But right now, you can’t get wheels made in the US at aftermarket volumes.

What happened? Most of the US wheel manufacturing used to be based in California. In the early nineties, China targeted the wheel industry as a strategic growth industry. They set up incentives for the construction of wheel manufacturing facilities, began offering export credits of 22% on wheels, and fully subsidized the cost of new tooling. US plants couldn’t compete. Most US manufacturers ended up selling their equipment to China, created partnerships with the Chinese plants, and became middle men importing wheels back to the US.

Today, the only cast wheel plants left in the US are for high volume OE wheel programs. So unfortunately, buying from China is a necessary evil of being in the aftermarket cast wheel business. We have made the effort to buy from a high quality Chinese plant. Our plant also produces OE wheels for Volkswagen, Audi, BMW and Harley Davidson, among others. Our supplier has Americans on the ground in China who oversee our programs for us, and we have been over to China to inspect and visit the plant.

When lower volume manufacturing becomes feasible again in the US, we will be first in line. Over the past 20 years, the Chinese government has stopped subsidizing tooling, has been phasing out the wheel export credits, and as of 2011 they finally eliminated the wheel credits. We hope that in time, US plants will be able to compete and we will start to see some volume move back to the US.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.
Unread 03-04-2016, 12:23 PM

Ok. So don't buy aev wheels because they are made in china...
Unread 03-04-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
Ok. So don't buy aev wheels because they are made in china...
It sees like you are hear to promote an agenda. AEV takes a lot of steps to ensure quality of their wheels above and beyond most manufacturers, and here is a link talking about wheels they reject that their supplier let out. I would say that out of all the aftermarket wheels out there, AEV are one of the few that I would recommend.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
Unread 03-05-2016, 08:16 AM

But why Jon, Dave said everything from china is garbage. Therefore it would be better to buy something else. If you noticed I said in the beginning I LOVE Aev gear. I just find it funny that someone calls this hood a direct copy of the aev, then Dave comes on and says its junk because it's a Chinese made product.....meanwhile aevs own wheels are made in china. Which is it?
Unread 03-05-2016, 03:38 PM

This one is easy . While I hate most Chinese products and everything they stand for , I SUPPOSE you can find halfway decent wheels but have you ever seen most Chinese Stamped sheet metal ???? Not pretty .

Besides that , Jon is a Fanboy !!

Love you Jon !!!!

Tags
cheap, copy, hood, rugged ridge