Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > J8 MILSPEC Vehicles

Unread 05-28-2009, 01:20 AM

Default manual option for the diesel?

I know all of the negatives about a manual transmission in this application and know your thoughts on this, but I also know that you came out with a manual option for the hemi kits. Since the CRD in Europe and Aus comes with a manual option, even if the 2.8 has been detuned, will a manual kit be offered for the j8? Honestly, it is really the only thing holding me back at this point. As far as I am concerned this is a lifetime vehicle and the perfect expedition vehicle outside of say a 70 Series LC or Nissan Patrol, but I just can't bring myself to buy a slush box.
Unread 05-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Administrator

I understand your caution on the automatic, but here are my thoughts:
  • All military vehicles are autos, they are easier to drive and shoot or drive and be injured etc...hopefully the first one is never a concern, but the second certainly can be in the middle of nowhere.
  • The 545 is rated to two 17000 lbs and is used in the Dodge Ram, Grand Cherokees, Commanders, Durangos, etc...Its a fantastic transmission (for an auto )
  • I don't know what it would take to convert a J8 to a manual, but it should be pretty easy, it might not be something we would offer, but the parts are available oversees as you say, meaning it might cost some in shipping, but its not a fabrication project.
  • I've driven the 2.8 auto and the 2.8 manual. While I do like the manual better, its not that much better that it would keep me away from the J8, not at all. For reference, we have a 1 ton Ram manual.Cummins and an auto, the auto is terrible, it feels like a completely different engine and I would never buy another auto in the Dodge again. The J8 is not like that.
  • We did the HEMI 5.7 because its more of a "fun" engine than the diesel, and the manual is great for goofing off.
dh
Unread 05-28-2009, 04:22 PM

Hemi's are good for goofing off. Imagine a Mega Cab 1500 Ram (actually a rebadged 2500) hauling 2000 pounds of landscaping blocks in the bed doing 80 mph down the interstate. Rear end didn't really even squat with the weight, just leveled a bit.
Unread 05-30-2009, 11:38 PM

Dave,

I appreciate your input very much. Clearly you are right, it would be much easier to drive and shoot or drive while injured and to be quite frank I had never really put it into that perspective before. I know I can try and track parts down overseas. The biggest issue would be canbus and the ecu wouldn't it?

Jack
Unread 05-31-2009, 05:51 PM
Administrator

No, the biggest issue would be pulling out all the unnecessary wiring that the 545 uses. The ECU would work fine since in this application it operates pretty much as a stand alone computer just for the engine, the trans controller won't be happy but who cares.

dh
Unread 05-31-2009, 09:56 PM

interesting

i too think its more fun to drive the stick
Unread 06-01-2009, 06:52 PM

just thought

is the intercooler with the 2.8l or is it something i would have to get extra as the hemi would not need it
this goes fro many of the little parts that can really add up in a motor swap/drop in
Unread 06-29-2009, 02:38 PM

Cooling system on the J8?

I imagine it is upgraded....specs?

Thank you.
Unread 07-02-2009, 11:40 AM

On the 3-door, with the flat rear floor, is there any kind of storage under the floor that can be accessed or is it just dead space?

Is the flat floor a separate section that can be removed from the body or is it welded in.

I would like to build a water and/or fuel tank to fit in the dead space or perhaps some storage....

Thanks guys...
Unread 07-08-2009, 02:36 PM

Any specs on the rear springs? length, arch, etc.

Most of the front suspension stuff should work just fine, but in the rear people are going to have to come up with customs springs.....Deaver, Alcan, National?

Any ideas what the optimum setup for 37s would be?