Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stunt man hans
    • Sep 2014

lockers?

just what the title states i'm debating shelling out for the arb air lockers but i'm wondering how useful they are going to be on a truck this size. also what problems would be associated with using them axle problems or other components that would need to be beefed up or would be more prone to breakage.

the cost of them is significant along with all of the other crap i'm throwing at my build so any thoughts on the matter would help. i'm not planning on bashing this truck on the boulders either but it is going to see some significant time off road in our national parks and on the beach in deep sand and in climate weather i.e. snow probably lots of it.

thoughts?
  • 04Ram2500Hemi
    • Nov 2013

I can't speak to the cost of having lockers installed, but I will say this, having lockers on my Power Wagon have been worth every penny! There has been a couple of times where things went south and I was really glad to have my lockers, and my truck is pretty gently used. My truck is also my daily driver, and while I understand the lockers in the Power Wagon are different than ARB lockers, I have never noticed any issues when they were not locked during daily driving. If you can afford it, I'd say it's worth the investment.
    2012 Ram Power Wagon
    Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, Salta HD Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo A/T II Tires

Comment

• Wapitihunter
      • Sep 2014

had a OEM rear locker in my F-150. Found it useful a few times per year while camping / hunting / fishing. ENough to convience me to go full front and rear locker on this truck for the same purposes. Several times I had to dig out the ford when just having a front locker and some more ground clearance would have resulted in alot less digging (or a winch).

Six states has my gears and ARBs now, waiting on a good week to get them installed. Figured if I'm going to regear, lock them up, now or never. Might end up waiting until after hunting season now as it begins soon. Quoted $5000 (no compressor no air lines ran, figure I can do that)

list of times when I used my locker on similar sized truck in the past for same intended use on this truck (F-150 is lighter but longer):

1) Pulling camper out of camp spot after october snow storm, elk hunting (rear locker didn't cut it, had to chain up...flat ground...)
      2) Accending Yankee Boy trail, Ouray colorado, locker helped out
      3) Fishing at the lake,soft ground/rock, locker saved me from more digging. Cold Dec morning. light snow had softened things up
      4) Elk hunting, driving to trail head, high centered truck, rear locker didn't cut it but front of vehicle was on ground, front locker may have helped...lots of digging
      5) pulling camper around tight turns, rear locker forces the rear end to swing around, you can use that to your advantage. Have to learn tricks when the F-150 is so freaking long with typical ford turning radius
      6) handy for multiple mud holes any time of the year - not really good for the mud spinning part, more the oh shit almost high centered but still have some traction part
      7) pulled a haliburton pump truck that was stuck on flat icy parking lot once...
      8) pulling camper up steep rocky hill, locker allowed me to get up it

Front locker feels like much more of a luxury than rear, rear or front probably gets you 90% of what u might want
      Last edited by Wapitihunter; 08-17-2015, 08:29 PM.
      2014 CCSB Tradesman 2500 -- G56 -- AEV dualsport -- AEV Salta -- 37x12.5r17 Toyo M/T -- AEV bumper -- VisionX 6.7" light cannon and lightbar -- Warn 16.5TI -- Mopar flares -- 8.4" Uconnect swap w/ customtronix jailbreak (front/rear/trailer cam) -- 3.73 gears w/ ARB front and rear -- Switch-Pros 8100

Comment

• stunt man hans
        • Sep 2014

lol thanks y'all i just called to see if they could add the arb lockers in the mix after reading your comments.

i had the factory e lockers in my power wagon i just got out of and to be honest i never even used them we had some pretty messed up trails where i lived in new hampshire very steep lots of granite covered with feet of leaves and snow. but on a truck this heavy i'm thinking they would come in handy more frequently.

i already have the arb twin air compressor and 4.10 gears going in and an spod going in as well. hopefully the only thing left at this point is the lockers and their associated labor to install.

thanks for the help guys.

Comment

• oz97tj
          • Feb 2012

I've had lockers in many vehicles over the years. I don't even want one without now, but I always choose selectable lockers now.

As stated, they are always there when you need them with no side effects on the street. Only downside to lockers on any vehicle is in a front axle application with the wheel turned. If the wheels are turned to the side, the strength can decrease by half or more! As long as you don't bind them up though they will be fine. If your tires are in a bind, you are better unlocking the front axle to keep from damaging them. Of course, thats also a great time to pull a rope too.

Comment

• kenny kustom
            • Jun 2015

This is getting a pair of Yukon zip air lockers.
            I had arb in my d60's in my last jeep.
            Heard good things about the zip, and a major savings, decided to give them a shot.

Gears lockers 5k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• stunt man hans
              • Sep 2014

i'm doing arb air lockers and the arb twin compressor. so i can air up my tires and lock the diffs if need be.

Comment

• Manchester
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by stunt man hans
                i'm doing arb air lockers and the arb twin compressor. so i can air up my tires and lock the diffs if need be.
                Where are you planning on mounting the compressor?

Comment

• stunt man hans
                  • Sep 2014

at the time i was only going with a tonneau cover but now we scrapped the spare tire and decided to run a decked system. so that could possibly change the position of the air comp.

it will either be in this location or mounted in the 'ammo can' on the decked system directly below if it will fit.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• stunt man hans
                    • Sep 2014

the line-x store we sent my front and rear bumper to really screwed up our timeline. our shop has been done with everything but the front bumper installation for the better part of a week.

starting off on a long term travel trailer trip is not easy when trying to coordinate with two people their work schedules. plus all the stuff that goes along with setting up the truck and trailer its literally a train wreck at this point lol.

now our new bulldog puppy needs surgery now i know why more people don't do trips like this lol.

Comment

• stunt man hans
                      • Sep 2014

onto some fun stuff here is some progress pics of the family truckster lol enjoy
                      Attached Files

Comment

• stunt man hans
                        • Sep 2014

line-x premium on the front and rear bumpers color matched granite grey.
                        turned out pretty sweet i'm liking it on this limited trim ram.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Brutal TJ
                          • May 2015

How much did the Line-X cost you for your bumpers? I don't have much around here and both places are owned by the same guy. $900 to coat a pair of stock bumpers seems a bit crazy to me.

Comment

• 04Ram2500Hemi
                            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Brutal TJ
                            How much did the Line-X cost you for your bumpers? I don't have much around here and both places are owned by the same guy. $900 to coat a pair of stock bumpers seems a bit crazy to me.
                            Wow- that's high. Seems to me it was $250 per bumper when I did my front and rear, and $200 for the grill.
                            2012 Ram Power Wagon
                            Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, LED Lights Mounted in the Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill, Custom Headache Rack, AEV Raised Air Intake, Salta HD Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo A/T II Tires

Comment

• Manchester
                              • Mar 2015

Need some traction

So today I almost got the truck stuck on the road to the cabin we are living in on some fresh slippy snow with a bit of incline. Had to put it in 4 low and let it spin & churn its way to the top. My truck does not have traction control or the factory LSD.

I don't plan on any real hardcore offroad with the truck but I do need to get up snow covered roads/trails and not sit spinning at stoplights. Would I be be best served with a TrueTrac that is gonna be working all the time?

This may have jumped to the top of the to do list after today.

Comment

Working...