Go Back   American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums > All AEV Products > JK Parts Discussion (2007+ Jeep Wrangler)

Unread 02-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Default AEV ProCal - Speedometer stopped working

Hey guys (and gals?),

I have had a couple of people contact me about their speedometers not working after using the ProCal to change tire size. Not to worry! This has to do with the users programming order of operations, not the ProCal.

Overview: The AEV ProCal works in a similar manner to the StarScan dealer tool when updating tire size. It covers a larger range of possible tire sizes, and updates for a static loaded radius but the overall process is similar. An issue can occur when various modules on the vehicle's network do not agree on a tire size when the vehicle is moving. This mismatch of tire sizes will cause an Implausible Vehicle Speed Signal Received error (DTC U-1412), a Check Engine light, and cause the speedometer to cease functioning. This can also cause problems with the Automatic Sway Bar System, Navigation, and other speed related systems.

Root Cause: A vehicle speed mismatch can occur when the user programs tire size and that value has been updated in some modules but not others. This can happen when the tire size is programmed while the engine is running, or by not cycling the key off then back on before starting the vehicle, as well as just programming at the precise instant the vehicle is updating is own values.

Solution: If after successfully updating tire size the speedometer does not function, the Check Engine lamp is illuminated, the Sway Bar lamp inside the cluster is blinking, or any combination of the above there are at least five easy independent solutions in order of recommendation. (You'll only need to do any one of these)
  • When the Engine is off, use the AEV ProCal to Clear DTC codes, then cycle the ignition off before running.
  • Program a new tire size value (it must be at least .25" different from the last programmed value, this is just temporary, the correct tire size can be put in again), then program again. Make sure to cycle the key off before running the vehicle.
  • Use the Restore function to completely clear all changes to the system, then use the ProCal to program all of your settings again. Make sure to turn the key off, then on to ignition between values.
  • If for some reason the ProCal is not available, pulling the Positive (+) cable away from the battery, holding it to the Negative (-) terminal for 10-20 seconds, then hooking the system back up should clear the DTC codes from the system and force update the last programmed tire size to all modules.
  • If the ProCal is not available and there are no means of pulling the battery cable from the battery, the speedometer will start working after approximately three engine on-off cycles with a minor amount of distance traveled each cycle (enough to move the speedometer). The Check Engine lamp will remain on for awhile longer.

I think this should take care of it. I've updated the instructions as well. Sorry about the confusion.

Thank You,
Jordan Harriton
Lead Development Engineer - AEV ProCal
Unread 08-04-2010, 09:52 PM

I had the same problem with mine, set per the instructions and the speedo went to zero. The fix was as follows: the instructions say to turn the key on, however the first key position of "on" does not work, you must turn the key to the second position of "run", (NOT the 3rd position or "start"!) for the speedometer, tire size settings, to take effect.
Once I had the key in the second position, the ProCal worked like a Champ.
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:07 PM

Default Fixed speedo

Had the same problem because the included instructions failed to mention needing to turn key to off position after system change. Took care of the speedometer and engine light per your instructions. Used my handheld marine gps to make sure speedometer was calibrated correctly and it is! Great product and easy to use.
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:28 AM

Default Does current Pro-Cal module work with 2012 Jeep Wrangler?

Just picked up my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4 dr). I traded in my 2011 for the 2012, and what a FANTASTIC difference. The new engine and drive line have transformed this vehicle.

Had it lifted 3.5 inches, and I am also running 35's (will post pictures soon).

I want to re-gear the speedo and change the air pressure sensors so that the TPMS warning will not go off.

My questions for AEV folks are the following:

1. Does your module accomodate the 2012 for these changes?
2. Will you be making any changes to the module for the 2012 (3.6) model year?
3. If so, what and when will updates per available?

Also, I went through Quadratec to order your heat reduction hood. They told me that black mesh wasn't available? Is this true (silver if ok)? Also, this hood is compatible with the 2012, fit wise, correct?

thanks much, Jeff
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRB View Post

Also, I went through Quadratec to order your heat reduction hood. They told me that black mesh wasn't available? Is this true (silver if ok)? Also, this hood is compatible with the 2012, fit wise, correct?

thanks much, Jeff
1. They are working on getting the new ProCal out with the changes needed for the 2012.
2. There are changes being made for the regearing on the 2012. Other than that change the other functions seem to be compatible with the 2012 so far.

The AEV hood only comes with the silver mesh. It can be painted black fairly easilly though.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited
4.5" AEV lift, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AEV front/rear bumpers, AEV Corners, Factory Ten Axle Shafts.
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRB View Post
Just picked up my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4 dr). I traded in my 2011 for the 2012, and what a FANTASTIC difference. The new engine and drive line have transformed this vehicle.

Had it lifted 3.5 inches, and I am also running 35's (will post pictures soon).

I want to re-gear the speedo and change the air pressure sensors so that the TPMS warning will not go off.

thanks much, Jeff
I was told to not open my procal and they would swap me when they had everything figured out. If you do open the procal it is a $50 update.
You can sign up here to find out when they are finished. http://www.aev-conversions.com/company/mailing_list.php
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:25 AM

I've got a strange series of events that happened and I'd like to verify what the resolution should be.

When I installed my AEV 3.5 lift last weekend, I installed 35" Goodyear MT/Rs along with it. While using the Procal to adjust for the new tire size (I defaulted to 35")I got 2 beeps, cycled the key off then back on and when I test drove the speedometer did not work. Following the recommendations here I further adjusted tire size with the Procal to .25 inches (34.75) smaller size (got my 2 beeps and cycled the key again). Test drove again and the speedometer was working; however it is reading about 40% fast (40mph dispalys as approx 70mph). I then used the Procal set to restore mode, got my 2 beeps; with no change to the speedometer reading high. I've gone through this process 3 times now thinking that perhaps I've overlooked something but without any change to the speedometer reading high. The 40% reading high seems to me like it is almost displaying kph instead of mph although the odometer readings have not changed.

I have not disconnected the battery positive cable yet and grounded it. Would that be the proper way to clear this? Under what conditions would the Procal not reset this type of condition; if we give me the benefit of the doubt and assume it isn't operator error?
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo View Post
I've got a strange series of events that happened and I'd like to verify what the resolution should be.

When I installed my AEV 3.5 lift last weekend, I installed 35" Goodyear MT/Rs along with it. While using the Procal to adjust for the new tire size (I defaulted to 35")I got 2 beeps, cycled the key off then back on and when I test drove the speedometer did not work. Following the recommendations here I further adjusted tire size with the Procal to .25 inches (34.75) smaller size (got my 2 beeps and cycled the key again). Test drove again and the speedometer was working; however it is reading about 40% fast (40mph dispalys as approx 70mph). I then used the Procal set to restore mode, got my 2 beeps; with no change to the speedometer reading high. I've gone through this process 3 times now thinking that perhaps I've overlooked something but without any change to the speedometer reading high. The 40% reading high seems to me like it is almost displaying kph instead of mph although the odometer readings have not changed.

I have not disconnected the battery positive cable yet and grounded it. Would that be the proper way to clear this? Under what conditions would the Procal not reset this type of condition; if we give me the benefit of the doubt and assume it isn't operator error?
Yea, that's not right.

Before anything else, try to NOT use the restore mode to change a single value. Use Restore when you are going to use that module in a different vehicle only. If you want to adjust the tire size, use the tire size setting. This will avoid complications with other settings and values.

There is no option to display in kph that the procal could adjust even if I wanted to. So don't worry about that.

Ok, so go ahead and post your tire size and the dip switch values you are using and we'll get this sorted out.
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:13 PM

When I did the restore the only setting I had done were tire size and TPMS so I didn't mind doing a restore to try to get the speedometer back to normal. In any event, I will try setting tire size again tonight and if that doesn't resolve the issue I will post the dip settings used along with tire size.
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:23 PM

Set tire size again and speedometer is reading correctly ............. I guess I'll just call it operator error and move on.

Tags
procal speedometer